If you could change one Iowa loss in the history of sports to a win...

What would it be? Every game before it/that took place after it would have to stay the same.

EASY...Iowa vs UNLV, Elite 8, 1987...Iowa blew a 16 point second half lead as UNLV shot the lights out. To this day, I believe that Alford and Co. have a national title that should've been Iowa's and changed Hawkeye history forever.

'87 UNLV - not even close

I know this is the football board, just sayin. If I have to give a football answer its '85 Ohio State.

Really we have 2 votes for 1987 UNLV one saying not even close and other says easy. That is Interesting..

I will go with:

1980- Louisville- Change this one and Iowa is in the National Championship. I will go as far as to say this isn't even debatable.

Last edited:
EASY...Iowa vs UNLV, Elite 8, 1987...Iowa blew a 16 point second half lead as UNLV shot the lights out. To this day, I believe that Alford and Co. have a national title that should've been Iowa's and changed Hawkeye history forever.

I agree.No competition for this one. B.J. Armstrong,Roy Marble,Ed Horton, Kevin Gamble, Brad Lohaus and Gerry"Sir Jamalot" Wright. Gamble hit a three with one second left in the previous game to beat a very good Oklahoma team.

Agreed - '87 UNLV game. Win that and we are national champs. Probably could say the same for the '80 team too. My how the hoops program has fallen.

How about a football answer? Ohio State, 1991 (I think that's the year...whatever year we finished by playing BYU in the Holiday Bowl to a 13-13 tie). Our final record that year was 10-1-1, IIRC...take away that loss and we probably go Rose Bowl-ing again, plus that Rose Bowl has some potentially serious implications.

These are 20 year old memories, so some of my facts could be a bit hazy, but I think I've got the record correct. Don't recall if there was a technicality on the Rose Bowl participant that year or not...

85 Rose Bowl vs UCLA and the Harmon fumbles. We would have finished 11-1 if we had won.

Or. . . How about tOSU this year. We would have gone back to the Rose. Not a bad choice either.

Last edited:
02 Iowa State (I am too young to really appreciate the early 80 stuff). We are undefeated in the regular season. Do we play Miami for the National Title?

Really we have 2 votes for 1987 UNLV one saying not even close and other says easy. That is Interesting..

I will go with:

1980- Louisville- Change this one and Iowa is in the National Championship. I will go as far as to say this isn't even debatable.

Very interesting indeed...

The 1980 team has been referred to as "The best team in the country if Ronnie Lester wasn't hurt"...so even if they upset Louisville, there's nothing saying that they'd win the title. The 1987 team has been referred to as "The best team to NOT win the National Title" and they were totally healthy, so wiping away one loss could truly lead to greatness. 1980 needed other things to swing their way. I respect your choice, but I'm sticking with mine.

Yours I would put in the catagory of "If you could change one moment"..."Lester getting hurt" would rank up there, just behind "The death of Chris Street", where Dicky V has been quoted as saying "I truly believe that if Chris Street hadn't been killed, Iowa could've won it all".

Very interesting indeed...

The 1980 team has been referred to as "The best team in the country if Ronnie Lester wasn't hurt"...so even if they upset Louisville, there's nothing saying that they'd win the title. The 1987 team has been referred to as "The best team to NOT win the National Title" and they were totally healthy, so wiping away one loss could truly lead to greatness. 1980 needed other things to swing their way. I respect your choice, but I'm sticking with mine.

Yours I would put in the catagory of "If you could change one moment"..."Lester getting hurt" would rank up there, just behind "The death of Chris Street", where Dicky V has been quoted as saying "I truly believe that if Chris Street hadn't been killed, Iowa could've won it all".

All of this Basketball talk is really depressing me with the current state of our BB program.

Reminds me of that Life Alert commercial: "Help!. . . I've fallen and I can't get up".

All...Senior...Citizens...Should
Have...Life...Alert!!!

OOH...I may need to change my "best part of the commercial"...I like how they captioned that for the hearing impaired as she says it...or was it because noone could understand her...oh well, either way...

I wasn't born yet in 1987, so I'll go with one a little closer to my era. 1999's Sweet 16 loss to UCONN was pivotol to the current position of Iowa basktball. Had we won that game, we would have faced 10th seeded Gonzaga for a trip to the Final 4, and had we won that game, we would have faced Ohio St in the semis. I think there is a great chance we would have won both those games (Iowa and OSU had split the regular season that year). If we would have reached the Final 4 (or national title game vs. Duke), three Big 10 teams would have been in the Final 4, Mr. Davis's job is possibly saved, and if it isn't saved, perhaps we are able to bring in an even bigger, more stable coach than Steve Alford (though he was very highly regarded at the time).

Do you think the closed-captioning people started to type it, then realized that for some unknown reason they were basically doing it for them within the commercial, so they typed something like "Ah hell, just read the above" or something like that?

:D

Is anyone else getting the "Worried about a senior parent home alone" ad on their page with all this life alert talk? I love targeted advertising.

Latest posts