If the impossible happened....

Iowa wins the Big Ten Championship....does Beth change her mind?

If the offense played similar all year as they played yesterday, The AD, I'll leave off the interim tag, wouldn't have had to make the decision she made.

Also, if Barta and KF would have evaluated and made the correct decision after last season, she wouldn't have had to make the decision she made, which in the world of college football, was the correct decision.

I think there’s a greater chance of a nuclear exchange than Iowa winning a B1G title game.

I think Barta was trying to not look like a lapdog to Kirk. He looked at the new QB coming in, the highly rated TE coming in, and the speedster receiver from Ohio State, also the schedule and thought 25 points should be no problem.

LSU offense combined with Iowa defense = national championship. Sucks to have a weak defense.

LSU and Washington both shows was a great QB can do. It’s against Iowa’s religion to have a QB like that.

I think Brian is working a miracle right now. He has to build a team that will be good in conditions like yesterday's wind vortex. Brian is at fault for the talent on the o-line, which IMHO is inexcusable, but the same damned problem is perplexing almost every team. I ain't saying the guy is great, but absent O'Keefe coming back I can't fathom how we will get a better OC than Brian. If Chryst comes I will be okay with that, but I genuinely wish we could keep Brian in some capacity because I think the kid is stellar with Xs and Os.

This is has got to be tough for not just Kirk the coach but Kirk the father. Family first is my theme in life. It’s a possibility with the combination of our defense and the struggles with the teams in the West division that we could go 10-2 and be playing in the Big Twn Championship game.

Now what you be feeling if this happens and your Kirk. You have sat there and heard the home crowd deride your son wanting your son gone. “Fire Brian……… Fire Brian!!” Let’s be honest here, that would be very painful. I have two sons and can understand.

If our offense starts to finally fly these last two games all bets are off on what Beth might do. Especially if we win out and make a game of it in the championship game.

I think she should keep her options open just as anyone should. Here’s the problem, I don’t think most rational Iowa fans expect us to do well in the championship game.

I hate to even talk like this because we have two games to win still. We especially know Nebraska is just licking their chops like they did last year. Let’s hope it’s a non-factor and that we win the next game.
Also there has to be obvious offensive improvement in the next two games and in the Championship game. If we get throttled in the championship game then we are just back to the same ole same ole.

Win the next THREE………. Oh my God……. “Houston We Have a Problem!” Or better said “Beth we have a Problem!”

I would love to see this problem!!!!! This storyline is what great movies are made of.
And you just defined the reason nepotism laws exist. Kirk is the one who put himself in this position by hiring his son to be the OC when he should’ve told him to go prove it at another school first. It’s not like Iowa’s offense just all the sudden got terrible this year. Brian should’ve been let go after the offensive performance last year. Yeah it sucks for Kirk as a father but again, he chose to go this route.

Last edited:
I think Brian is working a miracle right now. He has to build a team that will be good in conditions like yesterday's wind vortex. Brian is at fault for the talent on the o-line, which IMHO is inexcusable, but the same damned problem is perplexing almost every team. I ain't saying the guy is great, but absent O'Keefe coming back I can't fathom how we will get a better OC than Brian. If Chryst comes I will be okay with that, but I genuinely wish we could keep Brian in some capacity because I think the kid is stellar with Xs and Os.
You bring up an interesting point in BF is pretty good with X's and O's. I have wondered if he has a clue on how to manage day to day practice. The execution has been so bad. Sometimes I questioned if they even did practice because of horrible play.

People are fickle. Brian's in season termination will be seen quite differently if Iowa wins out and wins the Big Ten, the latter of which is a pretty long shot. But that long shot could still happen. If so, a lot of people will see the termination as premature and blame Beth.

Personally, I am glad BF is done, although the manner of doing it was stupid. Those coaching positions, indeed everyone that works at the U of Iowa involves "office politics", not red/blue politics. But some egos need stroked (donors and Uni employees), enemies need killed, no small number of noses need browned, blame needs diverting, etc... Like any other large commercial operation, it's just a little jungle.

If the team takes off, every BF supporter at the Uni will trash he interim AD. Beth burned a lot of capital with that move. There will be a lot of people "revising" their earlier statements to the AD, the President-and some of those statements will come from donors.

As the world turns...​

People are fickle. Brian's in season termination will be seen quite differently if Iowa wins out and wins the Big Ten, the latter of which is a pretty long shot. But that long shot could still happen. If so, a lot of people will see the termination as premature and blame Beth.

Personally, I am glad BF is done, although the manner of doing it was stupid. Those coaching positions, indeed everyone that works at the U of Iowa involves "office politics", not red/blue politics. But some egos need stroked (donors and Uni employees), enemies need killed, no small number of noses need browned, blame needs diverting, etc... Like any other large commercial operation, it's just a little jungle.

If the team takes off, every BF supporter at the Uni will trash he interim AD. Beth burned a lot of capital with that move. There will be a lot of people "revising" their earlier statements to the AD, the President-and some of those statements will come from donors.

As the world turns...​
As the World Turns - long opening 1996 (HD) on Make a GIF

No, nor should she. We’re so abused by this offense it scores 22 points and people are ready to keep Brian.

Horrendous sprinkled with occasional mediocrity should not let you keep your job.
Actually I got pretty excited when we scored first TD and went up 12-0. When you starved, a dog biscuit is a reason to freak out.

We beat Rutgers because of the defense. The offense was better in the first half, but still not good. Quarterback play was also bad. The defense did to Rutgers what Penn State did to us. They wore them out. Hate to say it, but we still have a quarterback problem. We also continue to have an OC problem.

We beat Rutgers because of the defense. The offense was better in the first half, but still not good. Quarterback play was also bad. The defense did to Rutgers what Penn State did to us. They wore them out. Hate to say it, but we still have a quarterback problem. We also continue to have an OC problem.

Literally nobody is saying otherwise.

If anyone is too blame leading up to these circumstances it is Gary Barta. Publishing the revised contract created the conditions leading up to the dismissal. It was embarrassing for the University. Barta didn't have the courage to pull the trigger when he had all the evidence he needed. Brian is not without guilt. He should have resigned. He alone put his previous boss and his father in this predicament. This whole affair would make an excellent chapter in a management textbook.

The performance of the OC speaks for itself. It has been poor for too long regardless of how this season ends. It is a sad story but the Ferentz's chose to play it this way. Beth still deserves our support no matter how the rest of the season goes. Remember we are playing Illinois and Nebraska. Neither has a good record this season.

All true. Doesn't take away that BF was doing some different things that game. Hill looked a million times more comfortable throughout the game. Did he make some mistakes still? Sure that INT was as bad as it could get. Lucky it wasn't ran back. But they got away with it. The rest of his mistakes weren't a big deal.

That was the first time where Hill looked like he was competent out there. I don't think he's got sky is the limit potential or anything but it was nice to see that he's gotten better. KF mentioned how you can't microwave experience and he's gotten 3 games of reps under him now and how he looked this game compared to prior to the bye weeks games is significantly different. That bye week hit us at a good time and Rutgers at a terrible time.

BF subtly did some different things. He had some empty formation plays on early downs I don't think Rutgers was ready for that. He used Kaleb Brown in some big spots on a couple 3rd downs and obviously the TD. Am I changing my mind on BF? Hell no he's gotta go. But that was a solid game plan he put together this week and he had his guys execute it. Considering how beat up the Oline is along with the other injuries that shouldn't be discounted.

If anyone is too blame leading up to these circumstances it is Gary Barta. Publishing the revised contract created the conditions leading up to the dismissal. It was embarrassing for the University. Barta didn't have the courage to pull the trigger when he had all the evidence he needed. Brian is not without guilt. He should have resigned. He alone put his previous boss and his father in this predicament. This whole affair would make an excellent chapter in a management textbook.

To me, it seems Brian lacked the integrity and character to resign, and spare his father from a difficult, humiliating decision and/or the public criticism and damage to his legacy

As the world turns...​
What people? Maybe some will but not many. It was 'the people' who mostly were behind the move being made to begin with. She was feeling that heat. This just goes to show his specific job results needed to be better. The team has won despite BF and the O these last few yrs. There's no spinning that now. The winning has been the only reason KF has been able to have any argument to keeping him around. Goetz saw right through it and wanted to squash everything about the nepotism of it all and everything. She's well within her right to do so and good for her and it'll be good for the program going forward

Latest posts