If the impossible happened....

If they win out thank him for his service to the University of Iowa and the football program but still show him the door. Otherwise, it would simply look like she's not capable of making the hard decisions and standing by them. Anyone and everyone would use that as ammunition against her during future hiring or firing decisions.

No, but it might make Kirk change his mind, hard to go out better than that.
This is has got to be tough for not just Kirk the coach but Kirk the father. Family first is my theme in life. It’s a possibility with the combination of our defense and the struggles with the teams in the West division that we could go 10-2 and be playing in the Big Twn Championship game.

Now what you be feeling if this happens and your Kirk. You have sat there and heard the home crowd deride your son wanting your son gone. “Fire Brian……… Fire Brian!!” Let’s be honest here, that would be very painful. I have two sons and can understand.

If our offense starts to finally fly these last two games all bets are off on what Beth might do. Especially if we win out and make a game of it in the championship game.

I think she should keep her options open just as anyone should. Here’s the problem, I don’t think most rational Iowa fans expect us to do well in the championship game.

I hate to even talk like this because we have two games to win still. We especially know Nebraska is just licking their chops like they did last year. Let’s hope it’s a non-factor and that we win the next game.
Also there has to be obvious offensive improvement in the next two games and in the Championship game. If we get throttled in the championship game then we are just back to the same ole same ole.

Win the next THREE………. Oh my God……. “Houston We Have a Problem!” Or better said “Beth we have a Problem!”

I would love to see this problem!!!!! This storyline is what great movies are made of.

Last edited:
This is has got to be tough for not just Kirk the coach but Kirk the father. Family first is my theme in life. It’s a possibility with the combination of our defense and the struggles with the teams in the West division that we could go 10-2 and be playing in the Big Twn Championship game.

Now what you be feeling if this happens and your Kirk. You have sat there and heard the home crowd deride your son wanting your son gone. “Fire Brian……… Fire Brian!!” Let’s be honest here, that would be very painful. I have two sons and can understand.

If our offense starts to finally fly these last two games all bets are off on what Beth might do. Especially if we win out and make a game of it in the championship game.

I think she should keep her options open just as anyone should. Here’s the problem, I don’t think most rational Iowa fans expect us to do well in the championship game.

I hate to even talk like this because we have two games to win still. We especially know Nebraska is just licking their chops like they did last year. Let’s hope it’s a non-factor and that we win the next game.
Also there has to be obvious offensive improvement in the next two games and in the Championship game. If we get throttled in the championship game then we are just back to the same ole same ole.

Win the next THREE………. Oh my God……. “Houston We Have a Problem!” Or better said “Beth we have a Problem!”

I would love to see this problem!!!!!
I have two adult sons as well. And I'd like to think that if I'd given them a job, which they then proceeded to completely and totally fail at -- the worst in the NATION at that particular job -- that they'd have enough decency and respect to not put me through the grief that Brian put his father through by staying on as long as he did.

Look, as a dad whose son followed in his footsteps (in more ways than one!) and with whom i helped get started, there is more than a little pressure on both of us, on him to perform and on me because i stuck my neck out. Turns out for us it was win win all the way, cause i had a son that stepped up and embraced the opportunity. I kept my distance and let him do it on his own, and he did. We can’t know the extent of Kirks influence in his situation but i have to believe he gave enough autonomy to Brian to make it on his own.

For whatever reasons, it didn’t pan out. As a dad, that breaks my heart. As a decision maker, which I was, you have to accept that you pass the baton and stay the hell away.

Brian will land on his feet and be better for it. As to the future of Iowa football, who the hell knows? But that we are tracking to the BT title game is positive in all respects, and will do nothing but enhance the potential scenarios for everyone involved.

Shit, nothing would make me happier than to win the BT championship and throw a massive monkey wrench into the BCS probabilities

I have two adult sons as well. And I'd like to think that if I'd given them a job, which they then proceeded to completely and totally fail at -- the worst in the NATION at that particular job -- that they'd have enough decency and respect to not put me through the grief that Brian put his father through by staying on as long as he did.
Fair point.

Don’t you think the $900,000 a year has a little to do with it?

The mean salary per household in the United States is approximately $74,000 a year. That usually includes the salary of TWO or more adults per household.

$900,000 is MORE than ten times than a couple getting their ass out of bed everyday and going to work at Amana Refrigeration eight hours a day, five days a week, standing on cement all day, dealing with the smell of melting plastics and breathing in toxic fumes. That’s one of the better jobs in Iowa. In Iowa the mean income PER HOUSEHOLD is approximately $61,000.

This isn’t hard to figure out.

I would love to see this problem!!!!! This storyline is what great movies are made of.
We have seen this before. 2017 we beat Ohio St. Next two weeks we get blow out 38-14 to Wisky and then proceed to lose to Purdue. We desperately need consistency and continued improvement, Brian has never done either. Seven years is enough to achieve both imo

Here is another thought. This feels similar (not exactly the same) when Mr. Davis's contract was not renewed....then they proceed to make the Sweet 16. All the talking heads out there were saying that would happen if Iowa won the NCAA tournament and what they would Bowlsby do then with Mr. Davis. I don't believe Bob could even bring himself to being with the team during that time.....was probably somewhat cheering for it to not happen and have to deal with reporters and everyone for firing a coach who won it all.

I think this is the downside to a mid-year firing....and retain a lame-duck coach for the rest of the year. If lame duck coach does great things....it leaves controversy out there to reverse the decision. Not that it would happen, but it leave that door open.

Last edited:
Here is another thought. This feels similar (not exactly the same) when Mr. Davis's contract was not renewed....then they proceed to make the Sweet 16. All the talking heads out there were saying that would happen if Iowa won the NCAA tournament and what they would Bowlsby do then with Mr. Davis. I don't believe Bob could even bring himself to being with the team during that time.....was probably somewhat cheering for it to not happen and have to deal with reporters and everyone for firing a coach who won it all.

I think this is the downside to a mid-year firing....and retain a lame-duck coach for the rest of the year. If lame duck coach does great things....it leaves controversy out there to reverse the decision.
I have wanted nothing but the best over the years for the coaches, players, and the fans. I even mentioned how great it would be if Brian was successful enough to carry on the link from Hayden, to Kirk, and Brian. What a tradition that would be and throw in the wave to the children in the hospital. That’s something special that only Iowa has.

Sure we get pissed when we lose and mope around for a day or two, but the next game we are there cheering on our team. I hope we win the next four to close out the season. I didn’t say win five because that’s not going to happen even with a miraculous 11-2 record. Two losses and making it to the playoffs is only for SEC teams.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it will happen where the adminstration will have to face this situation. I do think Iowa is going to make the Title Game.....but I'm also little bit caution as Kirk has not faired well against Bielma coached teams.

I also think, Iowa will lose by at least 2-3 scores in the Title Game. I hope I'm wrong though.

But, if it does have to face this situation, because I'm sure it would be brought up. Now, maybe Brian for all we know, at this point, is looking forward to leaving and would not come back even if asked.

I also think it would not look completely good, again, PR wise....and irony there because so many people wanted Brian gone to begin with. There will still be a lot of people who want him gone...even with if they win the Big Ten Title.

It is just a screwed up situation.....maybe one Beth can't completely win on...especially if they win the conference.

I have wanted nothing but the best over the years for the coaches, players, and the fans. I even mentioned how great it would be if Brian was successful enough to carry on the link from Hayden, to Kirk, and Brian. What a tradition that would be and throw in the wave to the children in the hospital. That’s something special that only Iowa has.

Sure we get pissed when we lose and mope around for a day or two, but the next game we are there cheering on our team. I hope we win the next four to close out the season. I didn’t say win five because that’s not going to happen even with a miraculous 11-2 record. Two losses and making it to the playoffs is only for SEC teams.
Honestly, I think they would have been better off saying, Brian, your done, and XYZ coach is the interim. That would have avoided even the perception of this. Now, it is just dangling a carrot on a string.

Iowa is headed to the Championship Game because of the Defense and Phil Parker.
And that is another way is could be spun....and I would also add special teams to that mix.

Another layer to this would be an offensive explosion to finish out this season. Again, these are all highly unlikely what-ifs......but not completely off the table.

What he said!

Latest posts