If the Big12 DOES NOT dissolve, Colorado and Nebraska

hawkeye12345

will each have to pay $10 million to the Big12 as compensation. The $20 million would then be divided between the programs that remain. I believe this holds true if at least 8 of the Big12 remain after the shakeup.

What would keep 8 teams - A*M or Texas, Tech, Baylor, ISU, KState, Kansas, Ok and OK State from keeping the conference afloat for 1 more year and then disbanding?

That's an extra $2 million +/- per team for one year. If TX leaves and 8 remain that's $30 million between 8 schools. They keep this money plus the TV revenue that would have been divided amongst the other programs. Doesn't seem like a bad payday for doing nothing.

if what you say is true about disbanding a year later after Nebby & Colorado both have paid it could get very interesting. because I've seen 9 schools have to vote yes to disband and if ISU, Kansas, Kansas State, & Mizzu don't have places to land they should be able to get a nice payday by sticking together for 1 year.

Also, if it is 9 schools that need to vote yes to disband it should be clear why it is 9. How many Texas schools are there?

A&M is gone. They have the votes to go to the SEC.

Texas will not be far behind then.

Bye bye Big 12 == hello MAC for the ISU juggernaut.

Wonder how long Fennelly and Jackson stick around when the scholarships/dollars start getting cut?

it doesn't matter if A&M is gone. it matters if there are more then 3 schools that don't have a landing place, because $80 Million looks pretty good between 4 schools.

On bashing the Big 12 more it is a shame. Since it isn't equal revenue sharing it shouldn't be equal buyouts.

Actually, it takes the vote of 8 teams to disband the league. So only 5 teams need to remain to get a payout of up to 70 million dollars.

If 6 teams remain, say ISU, KSU, KU, Missouri, OSU, Baylor. They could keep the Big 12's conference standing, 60 million dollars, and the television contract. If they could add TCU, who has never been happy in the MWC, and entice Texas Tech to stay it would give them a strong 8 team division to pair with 8 from the Big East.

That would make a 16 team conference. The conference would be split into geographically desirable divisions. The combined conference would cover a large portion of the country. Although there is no way this conference would be able to match the revenue of one of the Big Four, it would crush anything the MWC could generate.

it doesn't matter if A&M is gone. it matters if there are more then 3 schools that don't have a landing place, because $80 Million looks pretty good between 4 schools.

It would be a one year boon -- that is for sure.

But if in subsequent years you are in the MAC -- what is the real PV of that? Not much I am afraid.

In order to get that money they would all need to remain in the "Big 12". So their only option would be to add teams to the conference, and nobody from the Big East (for example) would be willing to pay their own buyout to join those 4.

I'm not sure it would be worth it to create a conference at least half composed of former MWC/WAC members just to get that one time payment.

In order to get that money they would all need to remain in the "Big 12". So their only option would be to add teams to the conference, and nobody from the Big East (for example) would be willing to pay their own buyout to join those 4.

I'm not sure it would be worth it to create a conference at least half composed of former MWC/WAC members just to get that one time payment.

why would you have to add? get your money then disband the following year. offer part of the money to the conference you would be joining and it's TV nextwork and use the rest to upgrade your own facilities.

this is just speaking hypothetically, I doubt it would work let alone get anyone to play ball.

The "Big 12" could get creative and stay the Big 12 with 8, 7, 6... schools and set up an agreement with another conference to play against. Kind of like the "whole grade sharing idea." Each conference would stay individual, but they would act as though they were one.

why would you have to add? get your money then disband the following year. offer part of the money to the conference you would be joining and it's TV nextwork and use the rest to upgrade your own facilities.

this is just speaking hypothetically, I doubt it would work let alone get anyone to play ball.

You mean just have a 4 team conference for a year? I don't think it would be possible to schedule enough opponents for full football and basketball seasons on such short notice. Iowa has enough trouble just filling one Saturday when we've got an open spot in the near future.

As for any agreement with a block of teams or different conference, I'm sure there would be 8 attorneys prepared to argue such a move voids their obligation to pay the penalty.

Latest posts