If Rogers DOESN'T play this week...

Becasue we haven't practiced the jailbreak screen enough this year to run it in a game?

Seriously, I wondered that same thing. If memory serves me correct, I think were shut down the previous 1st and goal (2 runs and a fade pass). In my opinion, due to the previous stop, we threw it three times becasue MSU pulled us out of our game plan the second time around.

Tuba, I was referring to the hypothetical situation that hawktech gave above about it being 4th and a foot (after 3 incomplete passes).

Against MSU, we had the ball on about the 2, a 1st down run got it to the 1 foot line, 2nd down we tried play action, 3rd down we tried a stretch play.

Am I missing something?

Don't know how BR thinks. All I know is if it were me, I would be BEGGING to get in. Not only does it let me play now, but if I were good enough to get a D1 ride, I would be thinking that if I can get in and play, I might not ever come back out. It could be the best chance ever to win the job by my play on the field!

A Rob also said in one of the videos I linked last night from Marc Morehouse that Rogers is a great blocker.
Jon - I agree with you that burning up a redshirt for Brad Rogers is not that big a deal. Look, we all know that Iowa has never been 8-0. If Brad Rogers can only help out for a few carries in the next two home games, I say play him. If Rogers is the fullback of the future, redshirt him next year. The Hawks owe it to themselves to go for it this year!

By the way, I definitely enjoy the videos with your predictions and analysis.

I think that bodes well for an A-Rob return for Ohio State. Kirk said on his show last night that Tony's ankle injury was worse than A-Rob's and Tony missed three weeks.

If Iowa feels he can come back for OSU, or a chance of that, perhaps they try and get by these next two without pulling the shirt off Rogers. I think he is destined as a hybrid fullback anyway, sort of a Jeremy Allen type...so keeping the shirt on would be something they would want to do as he could be a three year starter beginning in 2011 at that position.

If he DOES play this week, or next, then I don't hold out hopes for A Rob coming back for Ohio State.

I have to believe they won't take the chance of not getting him some carries before the OSU game in hopes of Robinson coming back. I would hate to see them throw him in the OSU game with no experience whatsoever.

Tuba, I was referring to the hypothetical situation that hawktech gave above about it being 4th and a foot (after 3 incomplete passes).

Against MSU, we had the ball on about the 2, a 1st down run got it to the 1 foot line, 2nd down we tried play action, 3rd down we tried a stretch play.

Am I missing something?

There was another time I thought we were inside the 5 and ran three pass plays. At the time I was upset with the play calling. I even recall the announcers commenting the same.

If he was suited up at MSU, don't you think it wouldn't take much to have him play at home against what should be a less formidable opponent?

I don't think that the issue is painted quite like many folks are making it out to be.

Firstly, pretty much ANY young guy being put into such a situation would invariably jump at the opportunity to see early playing time as a TR FR. From what I've read ... Rogers was REALLY excited that he had a chance to see action against MSU. Thus, without a doubt, he's excited about the chance of seeing action against IU and beyond.

The first question that Ferentz has to address is whether Rogers will really be needed. If Wegher and Paki can legitimately get the job done better than Brad can ... then there's absolutely no need to burn the redshirt. Paki knows his blocking assignments, he can catch the ball out of the backfield, and he has more experience running within our scheme. Of course, as we have observed with Paki, he's gotten some decent runs in the past ... however, he also has had plenty of whiffs too. Thus, another vital question is how many reps Wegher can handle AND how effective can he be. Will we see the Wegher who ran against ISU and PSU ... or will we see the Wegher who got totally shut down against Michigan?

If Paki can't help us enough in the running game, if Wegher can't handle the increased number or reps (and it's possible that he's not yet ready ... and that has nothing to do with his toughness), and if Rogers blocks well and takes care of the ball .... then it's obviously a no-brainer that Rogers should play.

However, if we're in the murky area where Paki is contributing pretty well and/or Wegher has great success against Indiana and Northwestern .... then all of a sudden, it become much less of a no-brainer to play Rogers.

Also, folks have to the note the implications on the roster if Rogers doesn't redshirt. What sort of tension/unease would that create on the team at RB? The coaches are invested to the players and the players are invested to the team and the coaches. Thus, the coaches don't want to create an environment that alienates the players. Ideally the coaches want to create an environment that provides the players with the opportunities that they likely promised in the recruiting process. Whenever you get too big of a log-jam at a particular position ... that can sometimes cause small rifts on the team. If a well-liked guy ends up feeling wronged and ends up behaving in an immature fashion ... that can really hurt team morale. This is another reason why personnel decisions are never as easy as they superficially seem.

Take this for what it's worth. I work with a guy who's son is close friends with A-Rob they went to Lincoln together and he told me they recieved a text from A-Rob Wednesday night and he told them he would bw back for the Ohio State game.
We'll just have to see.

some great posts here... but are we over looking PAKI? sure he's maybe not the best option but he's still an option.. How do you run the depth chart next season with Jewel, A-Rob, Wegher, Brinson,& Rogers and keep them all happy? The log jam at RB as me concerned that someone may transfer out due to a lack of PT.

Latest posts