If ND demands more money to joing B10 do we do it?

F Notre Dame! I wish the Big 10 would just forget about them & move on. ND has been a leech on this conference long enough. The Big 10 is forcing Notre Dame's hand. We'll see if they bite. They may regret it yrs down the road if they don't. The landscape of college sports is changing & may be really tough for an independent in the future. Few teams could pull it off. It would get difficult for them if there are 2-3 superconferences.

The current ND TV deal does not compare to the B10's school TV revenue. I'm too lazy to pull those numbers off the internet when it's easily searchable for someone else that wants to know the exact figures.

To pay ND more is absurd and I hope it never happens. Paying ND more will start one of the problems the XIIX has- that Texas makes more money than everyone else and the other schools want more of the pie... hence the rumors of schools leaving the Big XIIX.

Although... would it be crazy to allow ND to keep a portion of their NBC deal on top of the BTN agreement with the conference if it could be swung that way?? Seems like that could be a more logical solution to all this if it's even capable of happening.

I say pay them. If ND joins the conference, all the teams get more money because of that. Why not pay them for the fans they will bring in? Everyone will get richer.

Because then we run into the dilema that the Big XII is currently facing. You think that Nebraska and Mizzou want out because they fit better in the Big 10? They want out because they are sick of Texas and OU hogging the money. If Notre Dame isn't interested in sharing, then screw'em.

I friggin hate Notre Dame! The only reason why I want them in the Big Ten is so Iowa will kick the snot out of them. I could care less how much money they bring to the table.

If they want more money they should form their own Big12 style conference...take the deal or get lost.

Precisely. The conference's revenue sharing all but guarantees long-term stability. We aren't going to have teams looking to get out in 15 years (like the Big XII) because of the imbalance of revenue. If Notre Dame wants to keep living off of their history rather than their performance RIGHT NOW, and make more than everyone else while doing it, then they can find another teet to suck on, preferrably the hind one.

ND wouldn't bring more money to the B10. Flawed premise.

Duffman, every school in the B10 already gets more money from TV than ND currently does.

There is no way the conference would ever pay more money to get a team to come in than the teams already there currently make. This conference is built on the premise that it will be the strongest it can be if everything is as equal as possible in terms of how the conference splits up the money and exposure. This is what separates them, among other things, from the B12.

If anyone thinks they would give more money to ND, they are crazy. The funny thing is, they kind of have ND over a barrel. ND has to decide if they want to come to the B10, which would probably mean the Big East stays fairly close to what it currently is, or they stay where they are and teams pull out of the Big East, making ND's home conference much weaker.

That is kind of an interesting irony.

Doesn't it warm all of your hearts to see the asterisk next to Clown U and the subscript reading, "Iowa State will be replaced with Mississippi State," thus Clown U would be thrown out of the 64 schools. Does an old man's heart good!

If they want more money they should form their own Big12 style conference...take the deal or get lost.

Oh.....

This is the brilliant thought of the day.

Pay attention--because this makes too much sense:

Notre Dame will go to the Big 12, because it's greedy. Texas-style greedy. Big 12 keeps Texas, AND gets Notre Dame for an expanded television footprint, and will pick up another team (Boise State? BYU?). Then Big 12 starts talking to NBC, or whoever, about a new Big 12 network.

I can already see flaws in this idea: ND would make more $$ with Big Ten revenue sharing, probably, but it would rule the Big 12 North. But I'm going with this idea until ND says yes to the Big Ten.

To me the ideal expansion option would be to add just 1 school.
Invite ND and Nebby.When the domers decline or want special treatment/extra $, say "sorry,no"
Nebraska would likely accept without special provisions

Then, with 12 schools in the conference, the football schedule would look like this:

Everyone would play a 12 game schedule with a bye week (or 13 game schedule without a bye week if the conf wanted to). Regardless, everyone plays everyone in conference.

Yes, thats right, 11 conference games for everyone in the New Big Ten.
Everyones bye week is on the same day at mid-season,say week 6.
Everyones non-conf game would be the first week of the season...(sorry Domers you turned us down twice, now you dont get to play with the Big Boys for the big $ anymore, good luck with your next tv contract with a schedule full of army,navy,air force,and mid-majors)

Positives:
True conference champion every year, maintains all the old rivalries and adding Nebby will create new ones quickly, good geograpical and academic fit, keeps Big Ten football on TV that extra week during which other conferences are having their so-called "conf. championship" games.

Negatives:
Brutal schedule ( this could also be a positive when it comes to strength of schedule/BCS rankings)

Im sure i missed some positives and some negatives so feel free to add to/pick apart the above "ideal" expansion idea...