IF Kirk isnt the best coach, who is for Iowa?

I'm trying to imagine the phone call: "Hi, this is Gary Barta. Are you interested in coaching at Iowa? No, Kirk isn't going to the NFL. No, he isn't retiring. No, he isn't sick. No, we aren't being investigated by the NCAA. We've just decided to move on... What do we expect from you? Multiple Big Ten titles. Multiple Rose Bowl victories. National championship. Never lose a game in which you're favored. You should never win less than 7 games-- and those should be isolated rebuilding years. And no, bowl wins don't count towards that record. Never, ever lose a rivalry/trophy game. Oh, and you have to do it with an offensive and defensive style that fans like."

Who takes that call?

Tim Brewster.

He replaced a former Big 8, Big 10, and AP National Coach of the Year. He talked a Big Ten athletic director into hiring him to elevate a program once, I am sure he can do it again.

Also a good lesson for Big Ten schools looking to "elevate" a program coming off a recent run of success.

You can have stoops, major dick and who couldn't win at Oklahoma. And Bielema....someone give us his record against us? I dont think it is as good as you think it is. I'll take Kirk over these two any day.

I guess the National Championship was a fluke and this years team is just a figment of our imaginations? Not to mention his W-L record over the past decade must have been made up by the Big12 schills at ESPN.

Some of you are just blind, deaf and dumb.

Kirk Ferentz is paid at the ELITE level in college football. Elite paid coaches deliver conference championships and national titles.

Here is the current list of top 6 paid coaches:

1. Nick Saban - 2 national championships
2. Mack Brown - 1 NC
3. Bob Stoops - 1 NC
4. Lane Kiffin - No NC appearances
5. Kirk Ferentz - No NC appearances
6. Les Miles - 1 NC

FYI - Bielema makes 2/3rds of Ferentz salary

Ferentz has been labeled the poster child for overpaid coaches and it's hard to argue that feeling considering he's never even played for a national championship.

Put out feelers to Bob Stoops and Bret Bielema. If neither is interested then we continue to pay a high price tag for great results 2 out of 7 years.

I guess the National Championship was a fluke and this years team is just a figment of our imaginations? Not to mention his W-L record over the past decade must have been made up by the Big12 schills at ESPN.

Some of you are just blind, deaf and dumb.

Kirk Ferentz is paid at the ELITE level in college football. Elite paid coaches deliver conference championships and national titles.

Here is the current list of top 6 paid coaches:

1. Nick Saban - 2 national championships
2. Mack Brown - 1 NC
3. Bob Stoops - 1 NC
4. Lane Kiffin - No NC appearances
5. Kirk Ferentz - No NC appearances
6. Les Miles - 1 NC

FYI - Bielema makes 2/3rds of Ferentz salary

Ferentz has been labeled the poster child for overpaid coaches and it's hard to argue that feeling considering he's never even played for a national championship.

Put out feelers to Bob Stoops and Bret Bielema. If neither is interested then we continue to pay a high price tag for great results 2 out of 7 years.

1. Alabama
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma

I'm pretty sure there isn't a lack of football talent in those areas and in reality... Iowa doesn't have that amount of talent instate.
Iowa also is also not an attractive place in the eyes of many recruits... So you have to be fair about this. KF is at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting and there isn't all that much he can do about it. Location is a big part of recruiting.

I do think the coaches could do a better job of making Iowa more appealing to top level talent by opening up the offense a little bit more and stuff like that. Top talent level players want to go to the NFL and KF and Iowa have done a great job of getting players NFL ready, but as a recruit... you watch Iowa and they probably say "I'm not going to get the stats or recognition there."

I don't have facts or links to back up what I'm saying, because it is just my opinion... but I truly believe we are at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting top talent.

However, I'm not ok with being mediocre and I think the staff could step up their game a little bit when it comes to building an elite program.

I'm not going to be one of those people who want KF fired right now... but I will admit to being one of those people that want some change to happen. I want the staff to adapt better and give us the best chance of winning. Punting on the 34 is not giving us the best chance of winning in my opinion. Having "HB Dive" and "quick slants" as the only two plays in our playbook is not giving us the best chance of winning. We need to adapt and start taking it to the other team. Utilize our great receivers and start hitting them deep.

"Take the top off the defense";)

I'm not going to be one of those people who want KF fired right now... but I will admit to being one of those people that want some change to happen. I want the staff to adapt better and give us the best chance of winning. Punting on the 34 is not giving us the best chance of winning in my opinion. Having "HB Dive" and "quick slants" as the only two plays in our playbook is not giving us the best chance of winning. We need to adapt and start taking it to the other team. Utilize our great receivers and start hitting them deep.

"Take the top off the defense";)

Can we please get off this? Let's say we line up for the field goal and Myer makes a 52-yarder. Yes! We could have lost 13-6!

Or did people want to go for it on 4th-and-8? Let's say we make it-- probably somewhere between a 30-40% chance. What else did you see on Saturday that leads you to believe we were going to march from there straight to the end zone?

With so many problems, it just blows my mind that people are fixating on that punt. Be honest: when we pinned Penn State on their own 10-yard line, how many of you thought Rob Bolden was going to lead an 8:00 drive for a field goal? It took a ton of luck and a ton of missed plays on defense for that to happen. Not sure how you game plan for that.

PS. I don't know a ton about football, but I know we were doing a hell of a lot more than HB dives and quick slants. Nothing. Worked. Call it failed execution, poor preparation, or whatever. But don't pretend we were in Minnesota '09 mode. We called 40+ pass plays. Our receivers could not get open. When they did, they dropped too many balls for us to be successful.

Last edited:
Can we please get off this? Let's say we line up for the field goal and Myer makes a 52-yarder. Yes! We could have lost 13-6!

Or did people want to go for it on 4th-and-8? Let's say we make it-- probably somewhere between a 30-40% chance. What else did you see on Saturday that leads you to believe we were going to march from there straight to the end zone?

With so many problems, it just blows my mind that people are fixating on that punt. Be honest: when we pinned Penn State on their own 10-yard line, how many of you thought Rob Bolden was going to lead an 8:00 drive for a field goal? It took a ton of luck and a ton of missed plays on defense for that to happen. Not sure how you game plan for that.

PS. I don't know a ton about football, but I know we were doing a hell of a lot more than HB dives and quick slants. Nothing. Worked. Call it failed execution, poor preparation, or whatever. But don't pretend we were in Minnesota '09 mode. We called 40+ pass plays. Our receivers could not get open. When they did, they dropped too many balls for us to be successful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they didn't have 13 at that point.

Also, it would have affected the momentum of the game. When you score on the road... it makes the crowd go quiet. You have to take the crowd out of the game by making big plays or scoring points. If we went for it on fourth down there... We get a huge momentum boost and I'm confident we would have walked away with at least 3 more points on the board, if not 7.

Either way... why would you not take a chance at 3 points there? What did we gain by punting?

Latest posts