IF Kirk isnt the best coach, who is for Iowa?

Have to check with AARP first to see if he's available. NO
Methinks you missed the sarcasm. I don't want KF canned. I just want him to be a little more flexible when it's clear that our bread and butter isn't working, and won't this year. The defense is not strong enough to lean on. The offense isn't right now, either. But it's stronger than the defense if allowed to be.My top choice to replace KF when he retires: Mark Stoops. Youngest of the Stoops bunch, high-energy (without going screamo like Mike), defensive whiz.

I like the Stoops choice. We should really look for a person who has ties to Iowa, knows what we are all about.

I'll apologize in advance. I can't stop laughing.

We've lost just 2 games with a young and inexperienced team and there are people here who want Ferentz fired and some who think we can do better and are already throwing out names of replacements.

Have you all gone insane? Back away from the ledge. Put down the knife. Take the bullets out of the gun.

I can only imagine where this team would be if the PLAYERS reacted the same way as some of you morons are.

Last edited:
Id throws a godfather offer at Phillip Fulmer. One of the best recruiters ever and a guy who got recruits from all over the country. Tennessee isn't a hotbed of great talent so the fact he had so many great players speaks to this.

KF is a very good coach and a excellent representative for Iowa. Iowa is lucky to get a good coach after Hayden. A lot of programs go in the dumps after a legend retires. Look at Nebraska. Its been a lot of years since their legendary coach left and they are still not sure if Pelliney is the one they want. Iowa competes on a high level with less than almost every other contender in the nation.

Iowa has to play with the players they have. Iowa gets by with walkons, 3 and occasional 4 star recruits. This state does not have the large recruiting base of Ohio, Michigan, Florida, Texas or Wisconsin. Every year they add four and five star recruits. How many five star recruits has Iowa gotten in its history?

The knee jerk reaction is to point to Iowa recruiting. But if your a top HS athlete are you going to go to Iowa or Ohio State? Iowa or Nebraska? Iowa or USC?

I still have yet to see anyone post a logical replacement choice on here. It is obvious that Kirk is the best we can have at Iowa, and that is not a bad thing at all!

You can have stoops, major dick and who couldn't win at Oklahoma. And Bielema....someone give us his record against us? I dont think it is as good as you think it is. I'll take Kirk over these two any day.

All Bob Stoops does is WIN at Oklahoma. National title his first year, and Top 5, Top 10 EVERY SINGLE YEAR. A couple other appearances in the title game as well. Yeah, I know it's easier to win at OU than many other places, but if that's not winning, then I don't know what is.

Bielema - by my count, he's 3-2 against KF. I take it that surprises you. Wisconsin beat us in 2006, 2007, and 2010. KF beat BB in 2008 and 2009. By the way, BB had one season at 7-6, and otherwise has never lost fewer than 9 games while at Wisconsin (since 2006). I think it's time to start giving Bielema a little bit of credit for what's going on in Madison.

Bret Bielema - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And personally, I don't care if the coach is a d!ck if he's winning games and doesn't land us on probation.

KF is a very good coach and a excellent representative for Iowa. Iowa is lucky to get a good coach after Hayden. A lot of programs go in the dumps after a legend retires. Look at Nebraska. Its been a lot of years since their legendary coach left and they are still not sure if Pelliney is the one they want. Iowa competes on a high level with less than almost every other contender in the nation.

Iowa has to play with the players they have. Iowa gets by with walkons, 3 and occasional 4 star recruits. This state does not have the large recruiting base of Ohio, Michigan, Florida, Texas or Wisconsin. Every year they add four and five star recruits. How many five star recruits has Iowa gotten in its history?

The knee jerk reaction is to point to Iowa recruiting. But if your a top HS athlete are you going to go to Iowa or Ohio State? Iowa or Nebraska? Iowa or USC?

Then why does Iowa have more players in the NFL than every other Big Ten team but OSU, and all but something like 8 other programs nationally? At least from what I've been reading anyway.

The fact that we have won with such little talent is a myth.

You can have stoops, major dick and who couldn't win at Oklahoma.

Stoops can't win at Oklahoma ? He has played in 4 NC games since he arrived in Norman winning 1 NC. That's more title game appearances than the whole Big Ten conference has over the same time span. And he did that while having a high turnover rate on his staff.

You can have stoops, major dick and who couldn't win at Oklahoma.

Stoops can't win at Oklahoma ? He has played in 4 NC games since he arrived in Norman winning 1 NC. That's more title game appearances than the whole Big Ten conference has over the same time span. And he did that while having a high turnover rate on his staff.

Pretty sure he's saying that anyone could win at Oklahoma.

Well they were 71-55 under the 3 coaches before Stoops with there biggest bowl win being the 91 Gator Bowl.

Well they were 71-55 under the 3 coaches before Stoops with there biggest bowl win being the 91 Gator Bowl.

You beat me to it. People have forgotten that OU wasn't doing much until Stoops was hired. A great program doesn't run itself - it still needs a good/great coach.

I don't think Ferentz should be fired - let me get that out there first. That being said, Iowa Football feels very, very stale to me. I wasn't really excited going into this season because I figured it would be just more of the same from the previous year. It's really the first time I can remember not being jacked up for the season in August. Frankly, Iowa football right now is just boring. Did we really punt from Penn State's 33 on 4th and 8?

I don't think there is anything wrong in any profession with looking at what other successful teams/people are doing and trying to incorporate that into what you are doing. With the Hawkeyes, I don't see any of that - particularly on offense. It's more like, "this is what we do come hell or high water, even if we don't have the talent to do it, even if someone else has demonstrated a better way to do it." I fear type of bunker mentality could become a problem over the next couple of years.

Ferentz should not be fired and stoops or bielema will not come to iowa now be realistic. Give bielema credit he was one of our top dog recruiters. It's a rebuilding year with a ton of young players. The only thing that really frustrates me is with what we're paying ferentz he needs to produce a little more often and learn to tweak his scheme for the talent he has at the moment any other D1 coach makes adjustments. Go Hawks

And still nothing......

Bob Stoops.... not leaving
Bielema....... not leaving
Then who? seriously who? Offer BB 4 mill a year? that might get him thinking but Wisky is gonna have to give him top dollar sooner or later.....

KOK...... dont laugh he would not take it either with Kirk getting the boot

No one on staff would replace him.

The only guy I can think of would be another Stoops but how would that work? Zona is terrible and FSU has to much talent to have 3 loses..........

What other guy would come in from a different program to replace what many consider to be the best coach in the country? yes I said it! Best Coach in the country!

The other thing to consider is the Iowa football job, much like the basketball job has very minimal national appeal

We would end up hiring someone from a lesser D1 program and taking a flier that he could take us to the "next level". Hmmmm, sounds familiar

And still nothing......

Bob Stoops.... not leaving
Bielema....... not leaving
Then who? seriously who? Offer BB 4 mill a year? that might get him thinking but Wisky is gonna have to give him top dollar sooner or later.....

KOK...... dont laugh he would not take it either with Kirk getting the boot

No one on staff would replace him.

The only guy I can think of would be another Stoops but how would that work? Zona is terrible and FSU has to much talent to have 3 loses..........

What other guy would come in from a different program to replace what many consider to be the best coach in the country? yes I said it! Best Coach in the country!

Florida State's biggest problem thus far has been on offense. They can't run the ball, or at least haven't to this point. They've also played two top 10 teams already this year. Their quarterbacks have thrown 10 picks on the season in 5 games, plus whatever they may have for fumbles (don't want to look that up right now). It's not that realistic to expect any defense to force turnovers at a rate like that, especially when you've seen teams like OU and Clemson.

I'm trying to imagine the phone call: "Hi, this is Gary Barta. Are you interested in coaching at Iowa? No, Kirk isn't going to the NFL. No, he isn't retiring. No, he isn't sick. No, we aren't being investigated by the NCAA. We've just decided to move on... What do we expect from you? Multiple Big Ten titles. Multiple Rose Bowl victories. National championship. Never lose a game in which you're favored. You should never win less than 7 games-- and those should be isolated rebuilding years. And no, bowl wins don't count towards that record. Never, ever lose a rivalry/trophy game. Oh, and you have to do it with an offensive and defensive style that fans like."

Who takes that call?

Latest posts