If it's Phil Parker, what's your reaction?

If Phil Parker is the new DC, what's your opinion?

• I will be happy. Phil's a great coach; continuity has served Kirk Ferentz and Iowa football well.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • I will be disappointed. The program is stale and needs the new energy and new blood that an outside

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • I will view it as a wash. The coordinators only do what the HC wants.

Votes: 21 21.4%

• Total voters

tweeterhawk

Norm Parker's retirement as defensive coordinator gave Kirk Ferentz the opportunity to bring in outside talent and energy. It was a chance to infuse a program that at times lately has felt stale with new blood and new thinking.

If, as several posters have suggested, the choice is Phil Parker, Ferentz took the safe route: elevate someone he has worked with the past 12 years and apparently trusts to a high degree. Captain Conservative stayed within his comfort zone.

If it's Parker, will you be pleased -- happy for the continuity, and the fact one of the program's key recruiters is remaining with the program in a bigger role?

Or will you be unhappy that Ferentz is losing an opportunity to regenerate one half of Iowa football?

I do not know Parker; from all accounts he appears to be a fine gentleman and a good coach. But I would also look at his promotion as an opportunity lost for Ferentz.

CAVEAT: I had to set aside to a degree my disappointment in last season and performance in the bowl game, and look at the broader picture of the health and general direction of the program.

Last edited:
The only reason I will be disappointed is the fact that it is now almost February. If they go with Parker, it makes perfect sense, but why wait this long to do it.

I would be extremely disappointed. Our recruiting would suffer, IMO, and it would just be more of the same frustrating soft zones and no blitzing. I would strongly consider not getting season tickets if Parker is the hire. This program is headed the wrong direction, and an outside DC hire is a chance to breathe some new life into the defense.

No matter who it is my reaction will be the same. Wait and see. None of the names thrown around have ever been DC with this staff so we only have educated speculation. Who us to say that Parker won't energize things or that any of the outsiders would. Sometimes greatness is born from opportunity.

My biggest hope is that the defense continues to be a strength here but we put a little more focus on offensive philosophy.

I would be extremely disappointed. Our recruiting would suffer, IMO, and it would just be more of the same frustrating soft zones and no blitzing. I would strongly consider not getting season tickets if Parker is the hire. This program is headed the wrong direction, and an outside DC hire is a chance to breathe some new life into the defense.

really?

Parker is a good recruiter and good position coach. He has put lots of guys in the NFL. I think if you give him time to prepare to be the D coordinator he will do a good job. Norm didn't even recruit so it will be a bonus to have a DC that recruits.

Even if Kurt hired Dick Lebeau, the defense would be unchanged. Kurt could hire Shanahan or Martz as OC, and the offense would be unchanged. The TEAM philosophy is ball control, low risk offense and keep it in front of you, soft zone, low risk defense. Minimize possessions, keep the score down and win close when you have great players at several key positions. That's the model, bud, love it or leave it. More season tickets for the real fans.

The only reason I will be disappointed is the fact that it is now almost February. If they go with Parker, it makes perfect sense, but why wait this long to do it.

This. It wouldn't make sense to drag this out and lose some commitments only to end up with an internal hire. What would be the point?

Parker is a good recruiter and good position coach. He has put lots of guys in the NFL. I think if you give him time to prepare to be the D coordinator he will do a good job. Norm didn't even recruit so it will be a bonus to have a DC that recruits.

This. This. This. This. This.
Reason, how bout them apples?
Haters gotta hate.

id be extreamily disappointed. we need new blood on this staff. imo bradley is the best available and would be great at iowa. he had a tough D at penn st. and he would brings some new things that the program desperatly needs.

imo this program is slowly going into the dumps because of how stubburn KF is and how he wants to stay with the same old same old.

My reaction? *YAWN*

Kirk won't go outside to fill the position...too risky. He's happy giving up chunks of yardage, keeping the game close, and hope the other team makes a mistake.

It's Parker's job....nothing has been announced yet because Kirk obviously doesn't think it is a big deal. Things just keep on keeping on. Business goes on as usual in the football department. When Kirk gets around to it, there will be a press release announcing Parker (with loads of BS about "searching for the right candidate" to placate the gullible).

You make a big announcement if you are going outside the program. Since Kirk will promote from within, it is not necessary.

That being said...I'd really like Kirk to step outside his comfort zone FOR ONCE. I'd love to see Bradley as our new DC.

This. It wouldn't make sense to drag this out and lose some commitments only to end up with an internal hire. What would be the point?

How many defensive commits have we lost because of this dragging out? What makes you think the recruits don't already know it's Parker if that's who it is going to be.

Maybe they told them it's going to be Parker and they're working out some details with a new assistant to replace him so they can't announce it yet.

No matter how much you dislike our coaching staff they aren't stupid, they've been in this game long enough to know how it works.

My reaction? *YAWN*

Kirk won't go outside to fill the position...too risky. He's happy giving up chunks of yardage, keeping the game close, and hope the other team makes a mistake.

It's Parker's job....nothing has been announced yet because Kirk obviously doesn't think it is a big deal. Things just keep on keeping on. Business goes on as usual in the football department. When Kirk gets around to it, there will be a press release announcing Parker (with loads of BS about "searching for the right candidate" to placate the gullible).

You make a big announcement if you are going outside the program. Since Kirk will promote from within, it is not necessary.

That being said...I'd really like Kirk to step outside his comfort zone FOR ONCE. I'd love to see Bradley as our new DC.

Hmm I don't remember writing this but I very well could have.

Sooo sick of the "new blood" references. I am sure there were/are a few options for DC, and KF will pick the one that seems the best choice, maybe right, maybe wrong. But change for the sake of change is just short sighted.

instant gratification = bad.

I think Coordinators have more input on decisions that people think. Yes, they have to ultimately follow the HCs master plan, but its foolish to think that the HC would totally brush off any suggestions from a Coordinator.

It seems people tend to enjoy working with KF, I don't think that would be the case if he ruled over the entire coaching staff with an iron fist.

I think Coordinators have more input on decisions that people think. Yes, they have to ultimately follow the HCs master plan, but its foolish to think that the HC would totally brush off any suggestions from a Coordinator.

It seems people tend to enjoy working with KF, I don't think that would be the case if he ruled over the entire coaching staff with an iron fist.

bingo. It's not a fluke that KF is well respected in the coaching ranks both in the program and other programs. Also not a fluke that his name is tossed around with NFL openings.

My initial reaction will be disappointment.. But I'm not that familiar with Phil Parker as a coach. Maybe he is very good and will get the job done (but I don't know). I'll be willing to give him that chance (from a fan's perspective) without throwing him under the bus right away.

I guess I would view a Phil Parker hire as being just as predictable as many of the in-game calls that we see from KF. But maybe we will all be surprised..

C - ya

the possibility the outside hire would bring in new recruiting connection, with Parker we don't get this, Norm did not recruit on the road these past few years which hurt recruiting.
it is all about recruiting, and Iowa cannot rely on instate recruiting and need someone with other areas to recruit from and/or strengthen the areas they have.
again Phil does none of these

Yeah, you will STRONGLY CONSIDER not getting tickets, then you will anyway... or you won't and your tickets will gladly be gobbled up by one of the thousands who didn't get season tickets last year despite wanting them.

Latest posts