If it's McCaffery, welcome aboard

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
and I am very eager to see whom he hires as his assistants...whomever was going to get this job was going to have their work cut out for them bringing in players.

They certainly deserve the support from the Iowa fans as they start their program. I am sure they will get it.

Do you have much information Jon on the style of offense and defense he runs? It looks like they had some 80 and 90 point games this year.

Welcome aboard. Does anyone know if he is a good recruiter? Hopefully he can get some solid assistants to help with the job

Do you think that Barta has anything to say about who the asst. are? I'm sure Barta has some idea who will come with him.

His Siena bio is fairly impressive. He spent 10 years at Notre Dame recruiting. The guy has spent significant time recruiting to a mid-west Power Conference, albeit about a decade ago. I think he will put more of a premium on players than Lick, I think Lick honestly believed he didn't need great players to win. I don't think Fran is as delusional. I like east coat ties as well, the recruiting game is a bit dirty out east. I'm sure Fran knows his way around prep schools and JUCOs, it is probably one of the better ways to get talent to places like Siena.

Well....starting to sound like it's happened or is happening. Best of luck Coach McCaffery, welcome to the Hawkeye Nation.

I understand there is going to be backlash because this is another mid-major coach. But there is no guaranteed hire that is going to have success. Heck, even some of the established coaches could have struggled here.

Lot's of great coaches started in the mid-major ranks and hopefully McCafferey joins that list.

If he gets a staff that can recruit this could be a good hire if not I'd rather see fran drescher on the sideline.I hope barta understands recruiting is the name of the game.

I looked at Siena's last 4 years of recruits....again, not one of those recruits was offered by a BCS school. Same deal as Lick. Now, I am not going to write him off as a non-recruiter because I realize that Siena is going to have a hard time competing for top talent...but still....I cannot lie, I am totally uninspired by this choice.
We pluck another small school x's and o's guy,from the East Coast no less, who has nto recruited a top player let alone a top midwest player in the last decade, and throw him into a talent -depleted program struggling vs top recruiters in the country?

The only real difference I see right now is that he plays faster...great.
Now, we will see if he gets a staff full of Forbes type of recruiters...that will make or break him, I will predict that right now.

Welcome aboard. Does anyone know if he is a good recruiter? Hopefully he can get some solid assistants to help with the job

Looked at his current roster and who they were recruited by. Recruiting a lot of similar kids Lickliter went after at Iowa. Not a lot of "BCS" offers for his guys. I'd say he recruited kids a lot like next season's Iowa class. But McCaffery's kids are recruited to play in a more uptempo system so maybe more athleticism. Either way, B10 is a different beast, hope he gets a great staff organized.

He's a winner, he's experienced, he plays up tempo......based on those 3 things I'm having a hard time figuring out the melt down from some people

Agreed. Once/If he is announced I think HawkNation will be behind him. At first glance he seems okay to me, he's no Bruce Pearl, but that was unrealistic. However, if he doesn't succeed here we'll be looking for a new basketball coach AND a new AD.

Do you have much information Jon on the style of offense and defense he runs? It looks like they had some 80 and 90 point games this year.

He runs a fairly uptempo style of offense, likes to attack the basket and have multiple capable ballhandlers.

I think the defense is man but I don't know about pressure.

I would like to have been a fly on the wall at the interview(s) (which may have been in Cincy) to hear what he was asked and what he said about recruiting to Iowa and how he would put together a staff suited to doing it.

He's a winner, he's experienced, he plays up tempo......based on those 3 things I'm having a hard time figuring out the melt down from some people

Let me list the reasons:

He is an unknown mid-major coach who is old, white,and has not recruited a midwest player in over a decade.
He also has not gotten a player in the last 5 years at least that even has an offer from a power conference school.
Sound familiar?

Recruiting is the single biggest challenge to Iowa bb, not tempo.
And we go get a guy who has not recruited top players nor even recruited in the midwest?
Gregory was a chicago native who flourished with recruiting in Illinois,Ohio,Indiana and Michigan.
Forbes has recruited all over.

If Barta thinks that all he needs is an uptempo coach to satisfy Iowa fans, he has fallen into the same thinking as last time,thinking that all he needed was a nice guy after SA...

Philly boy. I'm cool with that. Played for Penn when the Big Five was huge. Penn was in the Final Four in '79. I suppose he got there just after.

I tried to post earlier but it didn't work.

This is a good hire. McCaffery recruited at the D1 level for ND. He has succeeded at his two following HC jobs. His teams improve as the season goes on, and his freshmen excede the play of other freshmen.

This guy would have been a major conference HC by now if he hadn't been stuck under McLeod at ND and/or his wife would not have lost it in that post-game.

He has recruited the Midwest, East, and SE.

He has also won his league three years running, gone to the Big Dance and coached his team to some impressive upsets.

Latest posts