If I'm Greg Davis, this is what I do during the next 2 weeks.....

SpiderRico

1. Stop the horizontal passing attack. JVB is not a good "spot" thrower....he does much better throwing to moving receivers (i.e. posts, seams, flys, crosses).

2. As much as possible, throw off play action as his rhythm seems much better.

3. As much as possible, design the majority of pass plays on 1st or 2nd down. Throw when we want to, not when we need to. Even if it's 3rd and long, I think I'd rather take my chances with Weisman than JVB throwing to a receiver 6 yards behind the 1st down marker.

4. Take the pressure off JVB and the receivers requiring them to read the defense and adjust their routes. It ain't working. JVB and the receivers, more often than not, are not seeing the same thing. I'm sure GD has plenty of pass plays that have pre-determined routes....stick with those.

5. Play the majority of snaps with 2 backs. At least with Weisman, it seems that most of his best runs come with Rogers as the lead blocker. Defenses don't want to have to take on a 230lb fullback and then when they may manage to shed him, have to try and tackle a 230lb running back.

6. Keep Weisman as the feature back and use Bullock as the change of pace.

I feel like we're close offensively. We could have put up 50 on Minny had we decided to keep running at them, but it was obvious that we were attempting to work on the pass offense, which unfortunately, didn't work. But if we need to turn into a 1970s offense in order to score points, so be it.....Scratch where it itches!!

I agree with all of that, Spider. Until we get the personnel that can run the offense that Davis wants, we are better off doing what we are able to, not what he wants to do.

You think he should do what KOK did?

I'm one of the guys that never had an issue with the design of plays in KOK's offense. My issue with him was the timing of the play calls and not sticking with what works. I am not a fan of having the QB and receivers make pre-snap reads and HOPE they both see the same thing. I am NOT a fan of throwing the ball to the sideline and HOPING the receiver can make a move to gain positive yards.

With MSU being the next game, I think we need to work on the 5-10 yard routes. MSU loves to blitz and we may need to get the ball out fast. Nice part is between our backs and if we can get the short pass game going, we can eat clock. We need our O to come ready to play and try and control the clock. Slow and steady, 5 yard gains and if the hammer can break a few lose, great because Bell will as well.
This game is going to come down to clock and who can shut down the run and make the other team go thru the air. So we need a good plan and to put in the work on D. We also need our O to be bullies against a stout D.

5. Play the majority of snaps with 2 backs. At least with Weisman, it seems that most of his best runs come with Rogers as the lead blocker. Defenses don't want to have to take on a 230lb fullback and then when they may manage to shed him, have to try and tackle a 230lb running back.

I do like these two, though. With having Rogers & Weisman both in the game, a D really can't afford not to cheat to try to stop them. If they don't get at least 8 in the box, then they are suspect to a nice run, if they do put at least 8 in, then are suspect to a nice pass play, like to the TE in the middle of the field. Pick your poison. Also, if both Rogers & Weisman are in the game & the D chooses to blitz, there could be some big plays if Rogers gets his hat on the right guy & Weisman gets thru the initial line of defense. Boy, too bad Rogers can't catch that well. That would add a whole other dimension & option.

We certainly seemed to be able to run at will with the law firm of Rogers & Weisman in the backfield. Vandy seems a little gunshy when he's left alone with no blockers. If he feels protected he seems more accurate and less likely to stare down one receiver. IMO

With MSU being the next game, I think we need to work on the 5-10 yard routes. MSU loves to blitz and we may need to get the ball out fast. Nice part is between our backs and if we can get the short pass game going, we can eat clock. We need our O to come ready to play and try and control the clock. Slow and steady, 5 yard gains and if the hammer can break a few lose, great because Bell will as well.
This game is going to come down to clock and who can shut down the run and make the other team go thru the air. So we need a good plan and to put in the work on D. We also need our O to be bullies against a stout D.

Olddude makes sense.

I think most would agree with the original poster but it seems to me that we have been calling plays to throw the ball downfield but Vandy is throwing it to the safety valve. I think his confidence to throw vertically is gone.

This is the most wonderful thread in the world!!! You are all right.. spot on!

Davis and his new O and JVB and the wide outs after another week are ready to break out.

The Bullock and Wieseman combo will continue to average for 220+ yards per game.

The young defensive line continues to improve and the back 7 continues to be rock solid!!

Hope to see you all in the Big Ten championship game in December.

This is basically what has happened the last 3 weeks...

1. Stop the horizontal passing attack. JVB is not a good "spot" thrower....he does much better throwing to moving receivers (i.e. posts, seams, flys, crosses).

2. As much as possible, throw off play action as his rhythm seems much better.

3. As much as possible, design the majority of pass plays on 1st or 2nd down. Throw when we want to, not when we need to. Even if it's 3rd and long, I think I'd rather take my chances with Weisman than JVB throwing to a receiver 6 yards behind the 1st down marker.

4. Take the pressure off JVB and the receivers requiring them to read the defense and adjust their routes. It ain't working. JVB and the receivers, more often than not, are not seeing the same thing. I'm sure GD has plenty of pass plays that have pre-determined routes....stick with those.

I feel like we're close offensively. We could have put up 50 on Minny had we decided to keep running at them, but it was obvious that we were attempting to work on the pass offense, which unfortunately, didn't work. But if we need to turn into a 1970s offense in order to score points, so be it.....Scratch where it itches!!

The only success we've had throwing it is off play-action and throwing it when we want to throw it. And giving the defense a heavy dose of Weisman, Rogers lead-blocking and the o-line pounding the crap out of the defense. If Iowa is in a 3rd and longer than 5 yards at this point, we're toast.

The problem is that teams are going to start doing what Minnesota took to doing in the second half - playing so many guys at the line of scrimmage and sending safety and corner blitzes play after play. Force Iowa to react and make plays, and take away the running game and the play-action passing game. It's near impossible to run play-action effectively when the opponent is running double-corner blitzes every play, it takes too much time to develop. Most teams don't blitz with the impunity that Minnesota did in the second half because the defense is put in so many compromising positions. But Iowa is not able to make teams pay right now for doing that, either because of lack of recognition by the QB, lack of athletic ability by the receivers, or lack of recognition by the receivers, or all of the above.

I would watch film of the remaining schedule; Talk to my position staff; Recruit !!!: Listen to the Big Guy; and try to get a little sleep. But hey That's the way I Roll.

If Iowa can be balanced and have success in the passing game, they have a shot at winning this game. IF they have to rely on the run only, it will be a long day. I'm sure MSU (and every other team) will challenge Vanderchristianshermanberg by putting 8-9 in the box and daring him to beat them with his arm. We'll see, I guess

If Iowa can't burn a defense for throwing repeated corner and safety blitzes, it will be a long year. If VDB et al can do this, there should be some easy touchdowns.

Latest posts