If CJ would have played most of this game......

HaydenHawk56

Would the outcome have been different? I imagine this is going to be the talk of the week along with ISU actually now having a chance at Kinnick. Which would have been unthinkable a week ago. Unreal.

Jake needs to channel this 4th quarter and remember that the forward pass was invented for a reason. Ugly win is a win.

Jake is a great kid. Unfortunately, CJ can do everything he can do and better. Jake has no long ball. CJ has an awesome and accurate long ball.

I still think CJ has more upside, but Jake can make that "safe throw." I got to think if CJ had played more this game would not have been this close. Fortunately Iowa's strength in the trenches and somewhat of an upgrade in the receiving positions finally began to take shape on those last 2 drives.

Ferentz really did himself no favors with the fan base today and perhaps CJ do a degree in wondering what the heck that one series was all about. Of course, for all we know Jake for whatever reason needed to take a series off and CJ needed to come in. But, his brief playing time (and very nice vertical long ball) will not be forgotten. Nether will the terrible Iowa place kicking and suspect running by committee ability.

Jake is what he is... A Nathan Chandler type game manager... A QB that can do a good job of not losing the game for you.

Beathard its hard to tell - but he appears to be (with experience) a guy who can make every throw. Much more of a threat to scare the defense and put up points.

But it's a lot of speculation.

Jake is what he is... A Nathan Chandler type game manager... A QB that can do a good job of not losing the game for you.

Beathard its hard to tell - but he appears to be (with experience) a guy who can make every throw. Much more of a threat to scare the defense and put up points.

I have a feeling we will never know.

Only God knows that answer.

CJ may have thrown a pick or two. JR didn't. CJ may have hit deep open receivers in stride. JR didn't.
JR led to the team to two TD drives. CJ didn't.

JR had a good game (over 300 yds 2 TDs 0 INTs). CJ had a good pass.

The problem in this game wasn't JR.
The defense was very good.
Another Iowa team that came across the screen as emotion-less until the last offensive TD and last couple of defensive stands.

I see it like this. You either take CJ and his 4td/1int a game or JR and his 2td/0int per game.

So if CJ would have played would the running game have amounted to anything? I love the fact that everyone is ready to throw Jake to the dogs, but the problem lies more with our running game or lack there of then the QB play. Not saying the QB play has been great so far, but the position has always been about managing the game vs. winning it and our run game has done nothing so far.

We can't run because teams have 9-10 players in the box. Teams will continue to do this until we can prove that our passing game goes deeper than 5 yards.

Also, the RB rotation is just stupid and not working. You pick your twos best and ride the hot one. Bring in a 3rd down back or whatever for special packages. Instead guys get one to two carries and then pulled

Everybody's favorite player ... the backup QB. Actually, I'm just glad we have two capable QBs and they both are looking very good this year in my opinion.

For those who think CJ should be ahead of JR keep in mind CJ's career stats after yesterday's game, 11 - 30 with 1 TD and 2 INT. Not the type of results that are going to unseat the #1 QB.

We can't run because teams have 9-10 players in the box. Teams will continue to do this until we can prove that our passing game goes deeper than 5 yards.

Also, the RB rotation is just stupid and not working. You pick your twos best and ride the hot one. Bring in a 3rd down back or whatever for special packages. Instead guys get one to two carries and then pulled

Great points.

I sit in the 10th row close to the field, so it's really interesting in person to see an entire defense on our near the line of scrimmage with one safety back in coverage.

Teams are daring us to beat them over the top. We just have to do it. Jake does look pretty cautious to me early in games, and there were a few times that Smith appeared to have a couple of steps on his guy with no one covering (safety help) deep. We have to exploit that.

I'd like to see Willies and Smith in the game and burn that 9 in the box format a couple of times early. Especially next week.

Nathan Chandler had Fred Russell, a great defense and Roman Ochoa came out of no where to make plays.

Can't be good for his psyche to make a throw like he did and then never see the field again.

Exactly what I was thinking. I swear when they showed a sideline shot of Bethard later in the game he had the look on his face, "I think I'm going to transfer". Almost like ferentz just gave him one series to appease the media or boosters.

Latest posts