Iconic image for Hoiberg's basketball program?

I dislike the Clowns. That said, Fred seems like a great guy and he's a doing an amazing job. My guess is that he could have most any job he wants with a few exceptions, both in college and the pros. Go Hawks!

Actually, I enjoy watching the O he runs. They spread out & get relatively open shots consistently. He has some terrific out of bounds plays to. I enjoy watching them, especially at Hilton.

He is a terrific coach. What's amazing is that he is able to coach the players successfully with an influx of players each year. That's quite unique. Some coaches have great seasons with veteran players that have been in the program. Hoiberg can get new players to buy into the program & have success early on.

I think ISU should show their incoming transfers (recruits) the amount of former Cyclone players they currently have in the NBA. It has to be a bunch after powerhouse all-world players Royce White and Melvin Ejim went through their storied basketball program...oh wait...

It is pretty impressive how he's had the success he's had without having many NBA prospects. Really just shows how great of a coach he is.

Through the decades there have been photos that have come to be so readily recognizable that they become the defining images of certain events or places in time: raising of the flag at Iwo Jima, the sailor kissing the woman in Times Square on V-J Day, smoke and flames billowing out of the World Trade Center towers, the Old Capitol dome in Iowa City.

The photo of Bryce Dejean-Jones in handcuffs as he was led to court wearing an Iowa State basketball sweatshirt cannot have been the kind of image Fred Hoiberg wanted to represent his nationally-ranked basketball program. And yet outside of Cyclone fanatic nation, it is a mental picture that some people hold of a program that seems to attract players who have left other teams for one reason or another. Will there be PR, or recruiting, fall-out from this image?

10845948_10202732007492004_6232354352023727736_n.jpg
Please tell me someone has the capability of putting this on a poster to display tonite while they are introducing the clones starting line up.

I'm not sure many would disagree that he's a great coach, but I completely disagree with the whole transfer program they have going on. It's almost turning college basketball into free agency. I also disagree with the 1-and-done schools like Kentucky. I'd like to see more of a college baseball approach where you can either go pro right out of high school or you must stay in college for 3 years. Unfortunately it's mostly the NBA that's at fault here.

I also disagree with the 1-and-done schools. Let's go back to the days of Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West. Back then you were not eligible for the NBA draft until the class you were recruited for was at the college senior level. No one was allowed to leave college early for the NBA. Also, no college freshmen were eligible to play varsity sports. It was that way for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as well. The UCLA varsity team that won the NCAA title when he was a freshman had only one loss that year - to the UCLA freshman team in its then-annual frosh-varsity game.

Wilt did leave college early but played for one year with the Harlem Globetrotters before entering the NBA draft.

If we went back to rules like this, I think college sports would be better for it. I also think the NBA D-League would be expanded for those who couldn't make grades to get into college. It would make the NBA more like MLB in that both the farm systems and college sports would feed the major league teams.

Please tell me someone has the capability of putting this on a poster to display tonite while they are introducing the clones starting line up.

If no one in the student section has that pic plus Natty Ice and Nader's mug shots on posters, I will be very disappointed.

I know it might be tough for you to recognize it, but that is a championship trophy he is holding up. I think that was the part of the picture he was referring to when he said it was a good recruiting tool. Who knows though... You are probably correct

Yeah the Hawks are very aware of "tournament" championships..Been there bought the t-shirt.
steve_alford_2006_03_12.jpg

I also disagree with the 1-and-done schools. Let's go back to the days of Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West. Back then you were not eligible for the NBA draft until the class you were recruited for was at the college senior level. No one was allowed to leave college early for the NBA. Also, no college freshmen were eligible to play varsity sports. It was that way for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as well. The UCLA varsity team that won the NCAA title when he was a freshman had only one loss that year - to the UCLA freshman team in its then-annual frosh-varsity game.

Wilt did leave college early but played for one year with the Harlem Globetrotters before entering the NBA draft.

If we went back to rules like this, I think college sports would be better for it. I also think the NBA D-League would be expanded for those who couldn't make grades to get into college. It would make the NBA more like MLB in that both the farm systems and college sports would feed the major league teams.

If you go back to rules like this, all you'll see is highschool kids going overseas for a few years to get paid there before coming back for the NBA draft.

I think ISU should show their incoming transfers (recruits) the amount of former Cyclone players they currently have in the NBA. It has to be a bunch after powerhouse all-world players Royce White and Melvin Ejim went through their storied basketball program...oh wait...

But Diante Garrett sometimes has a job for 10 days.

If you go back to rules like this, all you'll see is highschool kids going overseas for a few years to get paid there before coming back for the NBA draft.

You wouldn't see that many, there's not a huge demand for US high school kids overseas and the ones that have went that route can attest to how difficult it is. This will never happen though as the NBA will never change the rule beyond requiring one more additional year, which will probably happen in the next five years.

Nice post, K78.

I'll add the following: one of the reasons the NBA had a plummet in popularity in the years after Jordan (other than Jordan himself not being there) is that the built-in fanbase that follows a player from college to the NBA was eroding due to the straight-from-high-school players.

Nice post, K78.

I'll add the following: one of the reasons the NBA had a plummet in popularity in the years after Jordan (other than Jordan himself not being there) is that the built-in fanbase that follows a player from college to the NBA was eroding due to the straight-from-high-school players.

That's probably true, the NCAA is the best marketing campaign the NBA has. Only hardcore basketball fans know about Durant or Melo if they go straight to the NBA, one good year in college and they are already stars heading into the draft. There were also a lot of really poorly run teams around that time. Everyone was afraid on missing out on the next big high school star so teams were reaching early for unproven high school kids, especially big men. The NBA product is much better right now and the one and done rule has certainly helped.

Through the decades there have been photos that have come to be so readily recognizable that they become the defining images of certain events or places in time: raising of the flag at Iwo Jima, the sailor kissing the woman in Times Square on V-J Day, smoke and flames billowing out of the World Trade Center towers, the Old Capitol dome in Iowa City.

The photo of Bryce Dejean-Jones in handcuffs as he was led to court wearing an Iowa State basketball sweatshirt cannot have been the kind of image Fred Hoiberg wanted to represent his nationally-ranked basketball program. And yet outside of Cyclone fanatic nation, it is a mental picture that some people hold of a program that seems to attract players who have left other teams for one reason or another. Will there be PR, or recruiting, fall-out from this image?

10845948_10202732007492004_6232354352023727736_n.jpg

Why does he look so comfortable with the iron wristbands on? I think he's worn these accessories previously at some time in his playing career. When UNLV doesn't want you...well...that should tell you all you need to know. Maybe they found the short trips to jail annoying or something. At least the Mayor has a Bat Phone to City Hall to make nice and have things taken care of. I heard that they are working on a set of headphones for this guy...but he asked them to put a big pair on the outside of his house so no one could hear his music.

Latest posts