I would not be surprised

GesterHawk

to see Iowa be the beneficiary of a couple questionable calls on Friday.

The Big Ten does not want to be left out of the Playoffs. The league leadership must realize that the best way to solidify a spot is for Iowa to be undefeated in Indy - either Iowa wins and stays undefeated or the East Champ beats an undefeated Iowa and takes their spot in the top 4.

All I am saying is I remember a few years ago when Iowa was on a roll and they got very favorable treatment from the refs against Indiana including a phantom touchdown.

Even as a Hawk fan, I thought the fix was in.

Actually, I expect Iowa to have several questionable calls go against them. The powers that be do NOT want Iowa in the playoffs.

All I am saying is I remember a few years ago when Iowa was on a roll and they got very favorable treatment from the refs against Indiana including a phantom touchdown.

do tell...what phantom touchdown?

i think you are 'misremembering'. i do remember a TD for Indy that should have been called TD, but was not. What I do know is Indy should have been given a TD, was not after review, and the rest is history. That TD might have been one that helped nail the coffin. was 21-14 3rd. Iowa rallied with 28 in the 4th - maybe that TD takes a little sizzle from iowa - as it was, maybe took a little sizzle from indy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lufqKaPEmt4

i think you are 'misremembering'. i do remember a TD for Indy that should have been called TD, but was not. What I do know is Indy should have been given a TD, was not after review, and the rest is history. That TD might have been one that helped nail the coffin. was 21-14 3rd. Iowa rallied with 28 in the 4th - maybe that TD takes a little sizzle from iowa - as it was, maybe took a little sizzle from indy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lufqKaPEmt4

Yeah, you might be right on my misremembering.
I could have sworn there was one that we got that maybe we shouldn't have.

But either way kind of shows my point.

Actually, I expect Iowa to have several questionable calls go against them. The powers that be do NOT want Iowa in the playoffs.

The national powers that be might not want us in there, but the Big Ten wants a Big Ten team in there.
Like I said before, the easiest way for that to happen would be for Iowa to be undefeated in Indy. We might get the short end in Indy, but it benefits the Big Ten for Iowa to win this week.

If the refs treat Iowa like the SEC refs did Florida in OT of their game last week I would be just fine with that.

The national powers that be might not want us in there, but the Big Ten wants a Big Ten team in there.
Like I said before, the easiest way for that to happen would be for Iowa to be undefeated in Indy. We might get the short end in Indy, but it benefits the Big Ten for Iowa to win this week.

I think the Big 10 would prefer Michigan State over Iowa....higher ratings.

The refs arent going to cheat for one team but that doesnt mean there can be just a little bit of human nature giving way to letting a team like little old Iowa have the benefit of the doubt on some close or questionable calls. I can see an official not quite throw a flag on certain occasions thinking 'let little old Iowa play'.

Over the years I would say the human nature sentiment has gone against Iowa.

to see Iowa be the beneficiary of a couple questionable calls on Friday.
The Big Ten does not want to be left out of the Playoffs. The league leadership must realize that the best way to solidify a spot is for Iowa to be undefeated in Indy - either Iowa wins and stays undefeated or the East Champ beats an undefeated Iowa and takes their spot in the top 4.

I am always curious when I see comments like this. What do you think the conference is doing to try to get calls to go the way of a certain team. I mean, is Delaney meeting with the refs the day before the game and explaining to them how they need to job one conference team so that another is going to look better to the committee? If he did that enough times to enough teams he wouldn't have enough allies to keep his job.

These are just idiotic comments. The refs are the ones that you are saying would consciously have to decide to make certain calls go a certain way and they aren't going to do this on their own because they sat around and thought about what you are saying because they are not conference leadership and it doesn't matter to them.

This just doesn't happen the way you are inferring. Maybe on any given week refs blow calls. But they don't sit around before games trying to figure out how to strategically help the conference by giving calls to a team. And if what you trying to say isn't like what I am describing, then what the heck are you actually talking about?

Last edited:

Latest posts