I will get crucified for this post.

Well, it is one of the largest public universities. 94 out of 2,618. That's in the top 4% isn't it?

What falsehoods by the way?

For the purposes of this type of discussion, though, that total number is far too large. We aren't competing against the University of Phoenix for recruits, or Harvard. According to the rankings you referenced (after filtering out the private schools and such), we come in at #32 for state schools (quick question here: by 'state school', are we referring to all schools receiving state funds, or just schools such as Iowa/Florida/Michigan/etc.?).

If we were #32 in football every year, would we say we have one of the best programs in the country? No. We'd have a solid program, but nothing exceptional to brag about.

It's a good tip sir, and I think you're correct. It doesn't however change the fact that those doing the insulting are out of line.
Shall we rank the level of insults in this thread? You're not going to look very good there.

But back to the original post. I need to see some rational support for your comment that "we get no recruits"

I don't know if it's true or not. I'm more interested in hearing what relevance it has for recruiting in the Big10.

We have more resources. We have more exposure. Not more than all the schools we compete against, but more than a bunch of them.

That's an over simplification, but it is true. Larger universities appeal to city guys, and they have more to offer.

I've been to every Big 10 campus, to UCLA, to both Columbia and Lawrence, and several other places, including Alabama for football games.

While Iowa has disadvantages, they aren't as huge as some make them out to be.

We got all these kids in the NFL for hell's sakes. Do you really see Iowa coaches, with their personalities, selling this? Seriously? We're a developmental team for the NFL, and I'm guessing we never use this in recruiting.

where did you get the number of public universities of 2000 whatever? i have been trying to find it on the internet and havent been able to find it. it seems high to me. public would mean it is primarily state funded (iowa - public university & briar cliff university - private university). we only have 3 or 4 (dont think drake is punlic) in iowa and i know other states will have more than 3 but your number suggests 40 per state. that seems high.

Well, it is one of the largest public universities. 94 out of 2,618. That's in the top 4% isn't it?

The falsehood that you only posted the largest university comment in response to other negative comments.

BTW, what is the point of 2,618 schools, there are less than 120 in D1. Your reference is irrelevant. Why not reference the number of schools on the planet. We're probably in the top 200 out of 20,000, just use any numbers to create a percentage whether they are relevant or not... Include division 1, 1a, 2, 3, naia, non football programs, tech schools, junior colleges, etc...

The falsehood of "we get no recruits".

The falsehood of "we are nowhere nationally in recruiting".

The falsehood that "God help you if you have goals more than this". By the nature of the fanbase being disappointed with the results would imply that they had higher expectations that weren't met.

Other than that, your original argument holds up great...

We have more resources. We have more exposure. Not more than all the schools we compete against, but more than a bunch of them.
OK, now narrow it down and tell us how our resources compare against our main competitors, the Big10 schools.

.We got all these kids in the NFL for hell's sakes. Do you really see Iowa coaches, with their personalities, selling this? Seriously? We're a developmental team for the NFL, and I'm guessing we never use this in recruiting.
I'm guessing you're wrong here. Several recruits, particularly offensive linemen, have said that one of the reasons they chose Iowa is because of how Iowa prepares players for the NFL.

That's an over simplification, but it is true. Larger universities appeal to city guys, and they have more to offer.

I've been to every Big 10 campus, to UCLA, to both Columbia and Lawrence, and several other places, including Alabama for football games.

We got all these kids in the NFL for hell's sakes. Do you really see Iowa coaches, with their personalities, selling this? Seriously? We're a developmental team for the NFL, and I'm guessing we never use this in recruiting.

Are you serious? If you spent any time looking at our recruits interviews, you'd know this is EXACTLY what we sell. Almost every recruit recites our NFL success, specifically 79 out of 86 seniors have had an NFL opportunity. You are just spinning to protect an initially flawed argument. You've proven how little exposure you have to the program and the staff.

Facilities-wise, we're right up there with most schools. But that's where much of the equality stops from a football standpoint.

We send OL/DL, TE, a few LB, and DB to the NFL. Few of whom are first round picks. I highly doubt that the coaches don't mention the fact that we've put a lot of guys into the NFL. But we don't have a history of producing first round picks like a Miami, Ohio State, Florida, etc. does.

On top of that, the majority of the elite skill position talent resides in the southern schools because the majority of elite skill position recruits already live there. It's tough for ANY school to go into Texas and steal away one of the top recruits in the state. Those guys will nearly always go to Texas or Texas A&M. Geography and demographics have a much larger role in this than the facilities arms race does.

Nebraska recruits nationally. Nebraska has a smaller population than Iowa.
They've been doing it a long, long time, and have a head start.
I know, I know, Nebraska is Nebraska. But, they haven't always been.

See below:

Slide into obscurity (1942-1961)
Nebraska was led by three head coaches during the war years, with a scarcity of players available as so many of the country's young men were abroad and at war. By 1945, the year the war ended, the Cornhuskers recorded a losing 11-24-0 (0.314) record.
The situation did not improve after the war, as Bernie Masterson (1946–1947, 5-13-0, 0.250) recorded the worst head coach career winning percentage ever compiled at Nebraska in his first and only head football coaching appointment. Previous head coach George Clark (1945 & 1948, 6-13-0, 0.316), a veteran of both world wars with an extensive coaching pedigree and who led Nebraska in the final war season of 1945, returned as Nebraska's coach for 1948 temporarily as a search was made for his successor, prior to his ascension to Athletic Director at Nebraska.
Clark hired Bill Glassford (1949–1955, 50-40-4, 0.471), and Nebraska's performance improved somewhat over previous years, especially after the 6-2-1 1950 season, and Nebraska's second-ever bowl appearance, a 7-34 loss to Duke in the 1955 Orange Bowl.
Following Glassford, Pete Elliott, a star quarterback who led Michigan to the 1948 national championship, arrived at Nebraska for his first ever head coaching appointment. Although he would go on to achieve successes later in his career, he recorded a 4-6-0 (0.400) record in his one year at Nebraska. His replacement, Bill Jennings (1957–1961, 15-34-1, 0.310) fared even worse at the helm, his final career record with the Cornhuskers being the lowest of all but three of Nebraska's coaches.

Chad, I have to say your "you people", "I'm holier than you" posts are getting very annoying. Everytime someone has a diferent opinion than you you say the same thing."You people are all the same in the workplace and on this board, you guys are whats wrong with this society. I dont put up with your type. I manage people at a car dealership."Dude stop it already. Its reall old, repetitive and annoying. Every thread you are in turns into this crap.

Thank you! It gets real freaking old, Chad. Try stepping off of your soapbox for once. You may say that you don't think that you're a better person than the next guy, but you sure as hell act like it. And I know that you apologized, but I just want you to know that Igothawked isn't the only getting tired of it.

Golfer, your general statement about one of the largest public universities may be true in a general sense, but you used this as a statement for why Iowa is a desirable place for a football recruit. You can only provide evidence to that opinion by comparing Iowa to its natural competition in recruiting. By my numbers Iowa is the 29th largest BCS university (out of 67 with Notre Dame), but more importantly Iowa is 10th in Big Ten by nearly 10,000 students to Indiana at 9th. Nebraska and Northwestern being the only smaller Big Ten schools.

You statement about Nebraska rising from some pretty low points is true, but the day of no scholarship limits and Tom Osbourne embracing partial qualifiers had a lot to do with their success. While Pelini has done pretty well so far, the national recruiting and Texas recruiting advantage Nebraska has had is dying out due to the last decade of good but not great results and their move to the Big Ten.

It's apples and oranges. Nebraska solidified itself at a time when it was much easier to do so. They have been a predominantly strong program since its inception. They've had some slumps, but they always bounce back.

When they became a national powerhouse, there were no scholarship restrictions. They frequently played in the Cotton and Orange Bowls (7 from 1964-1973), giving them inroads to Texas and Florida (as an elite program). They also made their way with tons of partial qualifiers.

Now, with partial qualifiers out of the picture, Nebraska isn't what they once were. And programs from that sort of geography are going to have a hard time breaking out as the new elite program for the same reason. Nebraska is getting by on the name they made for themselves from '64-'97. Iowa doesn't have that benefit.

Thank you! It gets real freaking old, Chad. Try stepping off of your soapbox for once. You may say that you don't think that you're a better person than the next guy, but you sure as hell act like it. And I know that you apologized, but I just want you to know that Igothawked isn't the only getting tired of it.

And again....roll back thru and look how you present yourself and your gripes and then what I have issues with.....no big secret we are ploar opposites. You hate on the team and coaches and I chastise you...live with it, I live with your crap!

Golfer, your general statement about one of the largest public universities may be true in a general sense, but you used this as a statement for why Iowa is a desirable place for a football recruit. You can only provide evidence to that opinion by comparing Iowa to its natural competition in recruiting. By my numbers Iowa is the 29th largest BCS university (out of 67 with Notre Dame), but more importantly Iowa is 10th in Big Ten by nearly 10,000 students to Indiana at 9th. Nebraska and Northwestern being the only smaller Big Ten schools.

You statement about Nebraska rising from some pretty low points is true, but the day of no scholarship limits and Tom Osbourne embracing partial qualifiers had a lot to do with their success. While Pelini has done pretty well so far, the national recruiting and Texas recruiting advantage Nebraska has had is dying out due to the last decade of good but not great results and their move to the Big Ten.

Nebraska also had an established history before that slide into obscurity. Between 1921-41, Nebraska was 124-43-16. They were good to start with, then bounced back after slumps. They didn't rise from the peasantry.

There's some pretty good points in this thread, if you can get through it all, which is admittedly difficult.

I'm not sure I've done a 180 degree turn, but I've reconsidered the way I think through some of my earlier concerns.

I'm afraid, once again next fall, I'll still be attending both home and away Iowa football games. It's really a lot like golf, you should never start, because once you do, it becomes a large part of life, and the rest is just details.

Nebraska also had an established history before that slide into obscurity. Between 1921-41, Nebraska was 124-43-16. They were good to start with, then bounced back after slumps. They didn't rise from the peasantry.

All true. All I am saying is that Nebraska recruits nationally, and has for a long time.

We try. We've actually done fairly well in our efforts on the east coast, and to some degree in Florida.

I guess what I am saying, is that other midwest "undesirable, non big time" schools have managed to do this. Schools where we clearly have an advantage over. Not the Michigans, etc.

KF thinks he is bigger than the program and Barta is afraid to call him on it. No coach making the jack KF is can make no changes to a staff that has had circles run around it by interim coaches, first year coaches, etc. the past few years. I have no clue why so many get on Norm's case. Our D has been the only reason Iowa football is on the map today. If we had to rely on KF and KOK to win a game with offense, we would be the door mat of the big ten.

Could you reframe your question...are you genuinely asking who I am?! I’m a sales manger at a Ford dealership in Bourbonnais, Illinois. I’m also a born again Christian and I’d be more than happy to give you my work number. I’m high strung, very driven, but very, very forgiving of failings and mistakes. But I hate (don’t even like that word, but it fits) negativity and constant whining and griping. It kills morale and it sucks the life out of you. I have dedicated myself, to letting people know how much it sucks. I’ve worked with people like it over time and they kill business and make your life miserable…..

I am also self aware enuff to realize it makes me look like a jerk and I am indeed over the top. But in my experience, I’m one of the few on these boards to actually apologize, agree I was off base and admit I was wrong. I buy cars, negotiate, handle business maters, etc on a large level and I know the types you are talking about and I really don’t care that they are upset with KF.

There are even more influential people who aren’t upset with him to the degree you are talking about, so really to tell stories about the other is contrived and misleading.

On a side note I do apologize for being an arse and I mean it, I’m a very blessed man. I have 5 kids, a good job, my wife stays home to school the kids and I can do mostly what I want. I don’t like making people of Faith look bad because of my actions. So please take it for what it’s worth. Im just real tired of negative bitterness.

That’s why I disappear often…clearly it’s time again

This might be an award winner come December 2012. Nice work, Chad.

Note to JD - plz note I did not sign this "Chad" I merely congratulated Chad on a nice post.

Latest posts