I will get crucified for this post.

And yes, the U of I is pretty high up on the list of both state run universities, in terms of undergraduate enrollment, and public schools. Obviously it isn't up with the extremely larges, which are places like SUNY, and the California state system, both of which incorporate multiple locations, and in the case of California, multiple separate universities, but it is way up on both lists.

Sorry, once again facts are nasty little things. Just to be clear, in addition to doing a Google search of this, I went on the US DOE's list. Very sorry guys, I'll continue to argue with both fact, and my opinion. It is just more clear in my case when I state something as an opinion, rather than fact.

Some others that make statements should try to do the same.

While debating your original piece has been an interesting read, the only part I would like to engage in is the recruiting aspect of this thread.

Here is the truth about college football: It has and will continue to be a VIP club. Over time, what are the teams people recognize: Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Miami, Notre Dame, Penn State, Florida State, Georgia, Nebraska all come to mind. More recently, add LSU, Florida, Oregon, Virginia Tech. There are probably a few more on this list that I'm forgetting, but we'll use this list. Now, if you take a look at recruiting over the last decade, I would say it's safe to say the majority of these programs show up pretty regularly in the top 20. Is this a conincidence?

And now that the SEC has become so powerful, any program in the SEC has a chance to be part of the VIP club year in and year out. Kids are gravitating and have always gravitated towards the programs above, and particularly the SEC now. The facts lie in the recruiting rankings and results over the last decade. Iowa has NO WAY around this.

I say this to say recruiting in football isn't about your selling points at a place like Iowa. It's about targeting the right kids, making sure your "Big Board" to use NFL draft lingo, is full of scenarios that fit your style and finding recruits that give you the highest percentage of signablity, mixed with talent. That doesn't mean you have to 'settle' for all 2 and 3* recruits. But I do think you have to be careful of who is on your target's list. I think, for the most part, KF and his staff have done a tremendous job recruiting in this manner.

With the group above, Iowa has a shot to close the deal on 1 in 5 BIG TIME recruits. And those odds may even be generous. Call it a mediocre mentality, call it an excuse, call it whatever you want...the FACT is, Iowa has, and will always have to overcome many obstacles to recruit at a high level...no matter what coach walks through the door after KF.

And yes, the U of I is pretty high up on the list of both state run universities, in terms of undergraduate enrollment, and public schools. Obviously it isn't up with the extremely larges, which are places like SUNY, and the California state system, both of which incorporate multiple locations, and in the case of California, multiple separate universities, but it is way up on both lists.

Sorry, once again facts are nasty little things. Just to be clear, in addition to doing a Google search of this, I went on the US DOE's list. Very sorry guys, I'll continue to argue with both fact, and my opinion. It is just more clear in my case when I state something as an opinion, rather than fact.

Some others that make statements should try to do the same.

Link?

Iowa's undergrad enrollment typically hovers right around 20k, which is relatively modest. This link doesn't take out grad students, and it lists private universities as well (but their enrollments are lower by nature, anyway). Iowa comes in at #94. Their figure doesn't match with the UI's stats, so these may not be entirely accurate, but this was the best source that turned up on a "quick Google search". For the record, though: it does rank CAMPUSES, not universities (otherwise the schools like Cal and Wisconsin would be huge).

Who is Chad? Curious. Because what you stated in this thread, if it is what I think it is, is what really ****** me off.

I state an opinion, and also some fact. Others disagreed respectfully. I had no problem with any of it, until the "you people" thing started.

I took the you people thing as being direct at me. I probably shouldn't have engaged, but I did.

So, if you could please, who is Chad?

Could you reframe your question...are you genuinely asking who I am?! I’m a sales manger at a Ford dealership in Bourbonnais, Illinois. I’m also a born again Christian and I’d be more than happy to give you my work number. I’m high strung, very driven, but very, very forgiving of failings and mistakes. But I hate (don’t even like that word, but it fits) negativity and constant whining and griping. It kills morale and it sucks the life out of you. I have dedicated myself, to letting people know how much it sucks. I’ve worked with people like it over time and they kill business and make your life miserable…..

I am also self aware enuff to realize it makes me look like a jerk and I am indeed over the top. But in my experience, I’m one of the few on these boards to actually apologize, agree I was off base and admit I was wrong. I buy cars, negotiate, handle business maters, etc on a large level and I know the types you are talking about and I really don’t care that they are upset with KF.

There are even more influential people who aren’t upset with him to the degree you are talking about, so really to tell stories about the other is contrived and misleading.

On a side note I do apologize for being an arse and I mean it, I’m a very blessed man. I have 5 kids, a good job, my wife stays home to school the kids and I can do mostly what I want. I don’t like making people of Faith look bad because of my actions. So please take it for what it’s worth. Im just real tired of negative bitterness.

That’s why I disappear often…clearly it’s time again

Last edited:

My response about the employer/employee thing is directed at the poster who I quoted, not you. That's why I quoted it. He became insulting, so I got insulting back to him.

In response to your other two points, Iowa has competitive advantages with the recruit's parents. Academics, etc.We have competitive advantages in facilities over most B12 facilities, and over the Big 8. Have you ever been to Lawrence, or Columbia? I'm completely serious here. I'm speaking of athletic facilities, Lawrence is actually kind of a neat campus.

There are other selling points. (I prefer selling points over competitive advantages, because I think this is truly a function of sale and marketing). I also think sales are marketing are quantifiable, and results oriented, as should be the compensation structure of those that pursue these tasks (which college football coaches do)

Regarding the young man's blog. No, I didn't read it. Also, I am less concerned with his blog than the "selling points". If you ever talk to some of these recruits, you might, or might not, end up feeling the same way about his blog that I do. I wouldn't bet a bunch, but I would bet you $20 in a friendly wager.

I've talked to recruits before. They're not always the sharpest, and sometimes you leave with the feeling that they aren't the best citizens either. Especially the basketball recruits. That's not racist either, it just is what it is, and nothing more.

1. How do you have any feelings about his blog at all, if you've never read it? Given the second bolded graph, it sounds like you're generalizing and painting Ekakite out to be some meathead. Which isn't too surprising, given some of your other posts in this thread.

2. Even if the overwhelming majority of recruits were so stupid that they couldn't spell their own name, their opinion is what matters. If they don't like what Iowa (or any school) has to offer, then perhaps the "selling points" aren't very strong. The customer is always right, so to speak.

cmhawks is Chad. He spouts the same old stuff in every thread whenever someone has an opinion that is not directly in line with his opinions. Then he goes on to generalize those people with differing opinions to be "the problem with society". Its getting brutal to read.

I explained myself above and clealry you are "one" of those guys.....I'm okay with you not likling me.

Golfer, I completely agree with everything u said, awesome post. Now we get to look forward to all our insanity fans who expect a different result as we do the same ole crap over again.
So, was this your sentiment after the 2007 season? By your logic, it would have been insane to expect a different result for the 2008 season.

And yes, the U of I is pretty high up on the list of both state run universities, in terms of undergraduate enrollment, and public schools. Obviously it isn't up with the extremely larges, which are places like SUNY, and the California state system, both of which incorporate multiple locations, and in the case of California, multiple separate universities, but it is way up on both lists.Sorry, once again facts are nasty little things. Just to be clear, in addition to doing a Google search of this, I went on the US DOE's list. Very sorry guys, I'll continue to argue with both fact, and my opinion. It is just more clear in my case when I state something as an opinion, rather than fact. Some others that make statements should try to do the same.
While debating your original piece has been an interesting read, the only part I would like to engage in is the recruiting aspect of this thread. Here is the truth about college football: It has and will continue to be a VIP club. Over time, what are the teams people recognize: Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Miami, Notre Dame, Penn State, Florida State, Georgia, Nebraska all come to mind. More recently, add LSU, Florida, Oregon, Virginia Tech. There are probably a few more on this list that I'm forgetting, but we'll use this list. Now, if you take a look at recruiting over the last decade, I would say it's safe to say the majority of these programs show up pretty regularly in the top 20. Is this a conincidence? And now that the SEC has become so powerful, any program in the SEC has a chance to be part of the VIP club year in and year out. Kids are gravitating and have always gravitated towards the programs above, and particularly the SEC now. The facts lie in the recruiting rankings and results over the last decade. Iowa has NO WAY around this. I say this to say recruiting in football isn't about your selling points at a place like Iowa. It's about targeting the right kids, making sure your "Big Board" to use NFL draft lingo, is full of scenarios that fit your style and finding recruits that give you the highest percentage of signablity, mixed with talent. That doesn't mean you have to 'settle' for all 2 and 3* recruits. But I do think you have to be careful of who is on your target's list. I think, for the most part, KF and his staff have done a tremendous job recruiting in this manner. With the group above, Iowa has a shot to close the deal on 1 in 5 BIG TIME recruits. And those odds may even be generous. Call it a mediocre mentality, call it an excuse, call it whatever you want...the FACT is, Iowa has, and will always have to overcome many obstacles to recruit at a high level...no matter what coach walks through the door after KF.

this is very well stated and true. when you take this into account you can understand the remarkable job kf has done to put up the type of numbers fry did in a time when it is actually harder to do what fry did. we will have down years that is expected but noone is accepting it as ok.

does mason put an emphasis on sports? no. should she? no. her job is not president of a sports team it is to run a school of higher learning. could she be more accommadating towards the sports that bring in money? yes, but not to sully the name of the school. we have had a select few players ruin the brand name of iowa which we hold dear. so she has taken a hardline stance and i dont blame her for that.

could the school, kf, and everyone sell out to get 5* and keep them by letting them get away with everything? yes, but where would we be on the moral compass? kf wants a program others look up to and to get players like the sec and tosu and usc means we would have to do things they do and i would rather lose a few games then lower my standards like that. there is still something to the student athlete and i feel iowa takes that seriously.

was the coker situation handled correctly? probably not but whining about it wont fix things. i am sure kf is looking at ways to fix the problem instead of getting all upset. try to remember these kids come to iowa for an education not football. most (even the ones that go pro) need something to fall back on and i would venture to say we do a better job preparing our players for that than a lot of other schools.

Link?

Iowa's undergrad enrollment typically hovers right around 20k, which is relatively modest. This link doesn't take out grad students, and it lists private universities as well (but their enrollments are lower by nature, anyway). Iowa comes in at #94. Their figure doesn't match with the UI's stats, so these may not be entirely accurate, but this was the best source that turned up on a "quick Google search". For the record, though: it does rank CAMPUSES, not universities (otherwise the schools like Cal and Wisconsin would be huge).

You're right. The US DOE has several lists, and even at 94 out of 2,618 odd universities, Iowa is still high up on the list.

When you take the highest rated state universities in America, and then size them from 1 - 100, Iowa ranks 32nd, which is probably a fairer comparison for the topic of college football. They put undergrads at right under 30K.

In any event, I was just pointing this out because of some other condescending posts, not necessarily yours.

At least you took some time before you started making statements of fact, that were questionable.

So I blow off steam. So I state both my opinion, and some fact. This is no reason for people to get personally insulting (although my reference to farmers was probably out of line, and in retrospect, I shouldn't have posted this, and probably some other stuff to)

I actually listen to differing opinions, and sometimes I soften my opinion becuase of this. I can't speak for anyone else, nor after reading through this, would I want to.

cmhawks is Chad. He spouts the same old stuff in every thread whenever someone has an opinion that is not directly in line with his opinions. Then he goes on to generalize those people with differing opinions to be "the problem with society". Its getting brutal to read.
I explained myself above and clealry you are "one" of those guys.....I'm okay with you not likling me.

Its not that I dont like you, i know nothing about you other than what is read on these boards. You may be a cool dude, who knows. But if one negative thing is said by anyone in any thread you immediately pull the Jesus Thumper card. I am not a negative person at all and you dont know me. You generalize and stereotype every post as how as is what that person is outside of the single post. It comes off as very pompous and unreasonable. If you've dedicated your life to being positive quit harping on people with differing opinions. Argue your point but enough of the "holier than you crap".

<<<<<insert used car saleman joke here>>>>>>

You're right. The US DOE has several lists, and even at 94 out of 2,618 odd universities, Iowa is still high up on the list.

When you take the highest rated state universities in America, and then size them from 1 - 100, Iowa ranks 32nd, which is probably a fairer comparison for the topic of college football. They put undergrads at right under 30K.

In any event, I was just pointing this out because of some other condescending posts, not necessarily yours.

At least you took some time before you started making statements of fact, that were questionable.

So I blow off steam. So I state both my opinion, and some fact. This is no reason for people to get personally insulting (although my reference to farmers was probably out of line, and in retrospect, I shouldn't have posted this, and probably some other stuff to)

I actually listen to differing opinions, and sometimes I soften my opinion becuase of this. I can't speak for anyone else, nor after reading through this, would I want to.

That 30k mark is very likely the total enrollment, including graduate students and professional students. At my orientation (2008), they said undergrads were right about 20k, total around 30k. And that's still the case.

Total Enrollment - Who's at Iowa - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Iowa

This is for the spring semester.

This isn't true, you made the comment in your original post regarding "one of the largest public universities". Similarly you avoid the posts that have pointed out your lack of "facts" and instead engage those who you can simply trade opinion with. You do state opinion, you might state some facts, but you also state falsehoods - it is perfectly legitimate for people to call you out on such.

Could you reframe your question...are you genuinely asking who I am?! I’m a sales manger at a Ford dealership in Bourbonnais, Illinois. I’m also a born again Christian and I’d be more than happy to give you my work number. I’m high strung, very driven, but very, very forgiving of failings and mistakes. But I hate (don’t even like that word, but it fits) negativity and constant whining and griping. It kills morale and it sucks the life out of you. I have dedicated myself, to letting people know how much it sucks. I’ve worked with people like it over time and they kill business and make your life miserable…..

I am also self aware enuff to realize it makes me look like a jerk and I am indeed over the top. But in my experience, I’m one of the few on these boards to actually apologize, agree I was off base and admit I was wrong. I buy cars, negotiate, handle business maters, etc on a large level and I know the types you are talking about and I really don’t care that they are upset with KF.

There are even more influential people who aren’t upset with him to the degree you are talking about, so really to tell stories about the other is contrived and misleading.

On a side note I do apologize for being an arse and I mean it, I’m a very blessed man. I have 5 kids, a good job, my wife stays home to school the kids and I can do mostly what I want. I don’t like making people of Faith look bad because of my actions. So please take it for what it’s worth. Im just real tired of negative bitterness.

God Damn it Chad, there's an off topic forum for a reason. No one gives a **** that you sell cars, stop turning every football thread into your ******* life lectures. You're a ******* used car salesmen get the **** over yourself.

I don't hold grudges. It's a blog. Everyone gets overly passionate. If you disappear, don't disappear on my account.

No need to apologize. But you did. Speaks loudly about you.

Forget it

This isn't true, you made the comment in your original post regarding "one of the largest public universities". Similarly you avoid the posts that have pointed out your lack of "facts" and instead engage those who you can simply trade opinion with. You do state opinion, you might state some facts, but you also state falsehoods - it is perfectly legitimate for people to call you out on such.

Well, it is one of the largest public universities. 94 out of 2,618. That's in the top 4% isn't it?

What falsehoods by the way?

(Yes, I am basing this on something. No, I'm not getting into details right now).
Here's a tip. If you don't want to be "insulted", leave crap like this out of your posts. No one wants to hear "I know something you don't" comments if you're not going to provide some supporting evidence.

Well, it is one of the largest public universities. 94 out of 2,618. That's in the top 4% isn't it?

What falsehoods by the way?
I don't know if it's true or not. I'm more interested in hearing what relevance it has for recruiting in the Big10.

Here's a tip. If you don't want to be "insulted", leave crap like this out of your posts. No one wants to hear "I know something you don't" comments if you're not going to provide some supporting evidence.

It's a good tip sir, and I think you're correct. It doesn't however change the fact that those doing the insulting are out of line.

Life is a funny thing. You knows things that I don't know, and I know things that you don't know.

Latest posts