I was wondering what was next with all this

Fair enough.

Frivolous lawsuits are filed ALL THE TIME! Yea, this will play out. Sometimes I hate this society of thin skinned fragile people who just don't want their feelings hurt or to hear or accept the truth.

Everything bad that happens is almost always someone else's fault. It's virtually impossible to convince someone that they are at fault for something or that they suck at something. It's why I love having my son in wrestling. If you get beat you get beat. And if you want to get better, you have to control it with practice and training. In team sports you get all kinds of political shit, most of which is nonsensical. Coaches aren't going to continuously bench a five tool baseball player or star QB or PG over personal animosity unless shit is really, really bad with the player. Going from being the man at high school ball to the next level and getting that big dose of humility when everybody is as good or better than you all of the sudden absolutely shatters the psyche of some of these dudes.

Fair enough.

Frivolous lawsuits are filed ALL THE TIME! Yea, this will play out. Sometimes I hate this society of thin skinned fragile people who just don't want their feelings hurt or to hear or accept the truth.
We hear in the media the ridiculous ones. But in reality, they are far and few between. More in circuit court than federal. I as an expert witness am involved in one right now that should be thrown out but isn't, but the reason isn't so obvious to call it frivolous.

If you were harmed would you really want to live in a society where you didn't have recourse? Even if the majority said... "he's just after money?". Especially if the person that harmed you was popular and or powerful? The society also evolves how they think about things. Dred Scott is an obvious one.

When we were in college (and it still goes on but there are things that can be done about it more now) did you know any female students that went to a party at a frat house or maybe the marching band and had a drink or two (or maybe had a drink spiked or maybe hadn't had much alcohol before and didn't get it?) and got gang raped? Some people today still think she "had it coming" but the tide has turned on that. I can think of a personal friend that happened too. She was a sweet girl and had high morals and her reputation was ruined for a long time (and I admit when I learned about it I thought she was stupid and sort of deserved it, though I was sick about it). Now I can think back about it and realize it was a crime (I wasn't there but knew some of the guys). I haven't seen her in a long time but I can imagine the emotional scars stay forever.

Think about now how the COVID vax might play out, as more and more we learn about injuries and we also find out the virus wasn't as transmissible as thought AND the pharma companies and Govt officials basically have immunity.

We need to have lawsuits. Any attempts to curtail them play right into the hands of those who don't want to take responsibility.

My wife was harassed severely just prior to the "me too" movement and ended up losing her job. Do you know how badly legit victims are ostracized?

Everything bad that happens is almost always someone else's fault. It's virtually impossible to convince someone that they are at fault for something or that they suck at something. It's why I love having my son in wrestling. If you get beat you get beat. And if you want to get better, you have to control it with practice and training. In team sports you get all kinds of political shit, most of which is nonsensical. Coaches aren't going to continuously bench a five tool baseball player or star QB or PG over personal animosity unless shit is really, really bad with the player. Going from being the man at high school ball to the next level and getting that big dose of humility when everybody is as good or better than you all of the sudden absolutely shatters the psyche of some of these dudes.

Very true.

Not sure about animosity, but in my community, people buy their way to playing time on teams through the sports boosters. Kid you not, one kids was a great QB and never played 1 down. Nice kid. Went to an Illini camp and was offered and on the team at Illinois as QB never having played one down in HS. True story.

But, I think you are an attorney and you know there are varying degrees of fault and differences in how people who see the same thing view it.

Wrestling also has rules and refs and a ref can control an outcome. So wrestling isn't all that pure.

We hear in the media the ridiculous ones. But in reality, they are far and few between. More in circuit court than federal. I as an expert witness am involved in one right now that should be thrown out but isn't, but the reason isn't so obvious to call it frivolous.

If you were harmed would you really want to live in a society where you didn't have recourse? Even if the majority said... "he's just after money?". Especially if the person that harmed you was popular and or powerful? The society also evolves how they think about things. Dred Scott is an obvious one.

When we were in college (and it still goes on but there are things that can be done about it more now) did you know any female students that went to a party at a frat house or maybe the marching band and had a drink or two (or maybe had a drink spiked or maybe hadn't had much alcohol before and didn't get it?) and got gang raped? Some people today still think she "had it coming" but the tide has turned on that. I can think of a personal friend that happened too. She was a sweet girl and had high morals and her reputation was ruined for a long time (and I admit when I learned about it I thought she was stupid and sort of deserved it, though I was sick about it). Now I can think back about it and realize it was a crime (I wasn't there but knew some of the guys). I haven't seen her in a long time but I can imagine the emotional scars stay forever.

Think about now how the COVID vax might play out, as more and more we learn about injuries and we also find out the virus wasn't as transmissible as thought AND the pharma companies and Govt officials basically have immunity.

We need to have lawsuits. Any attempts to curtail them play right into the hands of those who don't want to take responsibility.

My wife was harassed severely just prior to the "me too" movement and ended up losing her job. Do you know how badly legit victims are ostracized?

I completely agree with you about the sexual assault issues, and being under reported. I work at the U and we get email/text notifications all the time after those happen and many times after Thursday thru the weekend. They actually have a name for a certain week or two after the year starts when the students get back when there is a spike in the assault numbers. I can't remember what they call it though.

It does make me kind of sick to my stomach when I read or hear of them, as these are young girls and it can affect their lives, often for their entire lives. It is a bad situation.

You have a mixture of these kids who may have done that behavior back home, drinking and taking advantage of women and gotten away with it. Maybe they were a jock or just popular, etc.. You also have those kids who might not have had the experience drinking in HS and when get to college start experiencing that, and make bad decisions they maybe wouldn't normally do. Add into that, you may get kids from out of town (non students) who come to the university city to party it up with the thinking what I do in Iowa City stays in Iowa City and not care because they are leaving. There are 32,000 students enrolled each year at Iowa.

Not sure about animosity, but in my community, people buy their way to playing time on teams through the sports boosters. Kid you not, one kids was a great QB and never played 1 down. Nice kid. Went to an Illini camp and was offered and on the team at Illinois as QB never having played one down in HS. True story.

But, I think you are an attorney and you know there are varying degrees of fault and differences in how people who see the same thing view it.

Wrestling also has rules and refs and a ref can control an outcome. So wrestling isn't all that pure.

That's wild about the kid who ended up on the Illinois team! Wild.

Now, I've watched wrestling and I don't think there are discrepancies with the officiating like in other sports. There are some calls that you can see maybe go either way, but I don't recall many flat out suspicious wrong calls. I think it's like the athletes. It's just them out there and all eyes are on their calls. They know they would have to answer to them. Also, I don't think the shady gambling happens in wrestling like it does in other sports such as football and basketball.

Latest posts