- I want to hear one thing at the press conference.

bxy

Kirk: "I want to apologize for our performance today - I did not have our team prepared." period end.

You might get it two weeks later if you're lucky. It will be the same bs. I'd even be okay with him simply blowing up at the guy that asked the question. At least somebody in the program would show a little emotion. No one on the team or coaching staff knows how to light a fire under anyone's a$$ out there. Same flat, emotionless team that seems to be becoming the norm. Pretty sad.

It is not a matter of not being prepared, it is a matter of execution. Northwestern out executed us to day. Stanzi threw a pass that he should not have thrown. The D cannot even play a whole game without having the linemen take themselves out of the game because they are out of shape. The offense is out there as much as the Defense and you do not see them taking themselves out of the game. This was a team loss as is every loss, but it is missed plays that cost us the game today. That and Persa is one heck of a quarterback!

It is not a matter of not being prepared, it is a matter of execution. Northwestern out executed us to day. Stanzi threw a pass that he should not have thrown. The D cannot even play a whole game without having the linemen take themselves out of the game because they are out of shape. The offense is out there as much as the Defense and you do not see them taking themselves out of the game. This was a team loss as is every loss, but it is missed plays that cost us the game today. That and Persa is one heck of a quarterback!

Northwestern ran 50 offensive plays in the 2nd half. A good average for a GAME is 65 plays. And when you're facing a QB as mobile as Persa, 80+ plays of chasing him around will wear anyone out.

“If you look at the last two games going backwards, we turned it over and they didn’t. Today, they just outplayed us. Two 7-3 teams today and they were the better team today, that’s for sure.â€￾

Because those were obviously 2 equally talented teams...

I agree. I understand that KF never set the high expectations for this team. He believes you will win some and you may lose some. We have never heard the excuse of many injuries, but next man in. There are many excuses you could get. KF is class and a good coach. He just needs to provide a spark of emotion so that his players can expound on it. I want a team that shows up, with passion!

Northwestern ran 50 offensive plays in the 2nd half. A good average for a GAME is 65 plays. And when you're facing a QB as mobile as Persa, 80+ plays of chasing him around will wear anyone out.

Ummmm, why did they run so many plays? Maybe because key defensive players were so out of shape that they we on their knees on the sidelines sucking wind. The best way to lessen the number of plays is to make stops, but you cannot make stops if you cannot keep up or are not in the game...next excuse...

Ummmm, why did they run so many plays? Maybe because key defensive players were so out of shape that they we on their knees on the sidelines sucking wind. The best way to lessen the number of plays is to make stops, but you cannot make stops if you cannot keep up or are not in the game...next excuse...

Exactly, if the defense wanted a breather, then stop their offense and you will get your breather. Pretty simple.

I thought we played right into NU's hands: we chased Persa all day, caught him only a few times, but when it counted -- at the end of the game -- our guys were gassed and couldn't go, plain and simple. I don't recall seeing that in recent years from a Norm Parker D.

So many things wrong right now with this team on both sides of the ball, hard to know where to start.

I'm not going to say the sky is falling... but something has to change on this coaching staff.

We are losing games because we are getting out-coached.

We are the more talented team and we are losing games... In fact, if it wasn't for great individual efforts to make big plays... we would have lost to Indiana as well.

I'm not saying we should fire Ferentz, but there needs to be some sort of change on the coaching staff, because this team is not a 7-3 team. With the talent we have... I don't believe that for a second.

Ummmm, Northwestern's offense makes it hard to get pressure. Lots of quick passes. And Persa is a lot like Drew Tate (at least in the pocket). Denard Robinson runs to run. Persa scrambles to buy time for his receivers, a lot like Tate used to.

It's a difficult matchup, which is why I wish we would tweak a few things against NW. But these guys aren't out of shape at this point in the season.

Any fan that brings up the execution excuse has bought into KF's coach-speak spin. Shouldn't the coaches prepare the players better then if they keep having problems executing? That's why iowa's offensive philosophy is flawed, it requires 18-22 year old guys to execute the majority plays perfectly. That's more of an nfl approach for professionals, right?

Any fan that brings up the execution excuse has bought into KF's coach-speak spin. Shouldn't the coaches prepare the players better then if they keep having problems executing? That's why iowa's offensive philosophy is flawed, it requires 18-22 year old guys to execute the majority plays perfectly. That's more of an nfl approach for professionals, right?

Yeah, I am tired of the "lack of execution" excuse. That implies the players are the culprit not the coaching staff. Jon loves to use that alot and I finally had to turn off Sound-Off an hour or so into it because he had used that excuse multiple times. Execution, or lack thereof, to me is an indication of not being as prepared as you should be.

And how do you not come to play with emotion against a team that has beaten you 4 out of the last 5 years?!!! That 1st quarter was pathetic. Where is the fire and intensity? Is that a lack of execution?:rolleyes:

I remember Dolph saying on the radio that they averaged around 72 plays a game going in.

I remember Dolph saying on the radio that they averaged around 72 plays a game going in.

That's what our defense averages? Or what Northwestern's offense averages? I was just going off of what Jon said on Soundoff at one point tonight, I don't know what the average actually is.

Not prepared..... How can Iowa's D not be prepared? They play the same D game in and game out...

Maybe Ferentz should say: we (didn't) never have our D prepared to defend a spread offense.

You know, a wise man once said: (a great) defense wins championships.
I recall Ohio State in 2003. They had a lousy offense but a great defense. Say what you want about the outcome, they won the national championship that year.

Do we really need to rag on KOK because his offense isn't potent enough because Parker's defense is weak against the pass?
Or should the pass defense be fixed?

If the pass defense is fixed, maybe there'll be some coverage sacks.
If the pass defense is fixed, maybe our D won't have to rely on sacking their QB or intercepting the ball as part of effective pass defense.

Last edited:
This team seems to lack emotional leaders. Pat Angerer and a few others offered that last year. I think it's a key element when you're on the road and outside the friendly Kinnick confines.

I also think that we've put together defensive personnel and game plans that are more suited to the traditional smash mouth Big 10. Well, as we know, the Big 10 is now more mixed in its offensive makeup these days. We seem slow to want to recognize this and keep applying a defense that someone must think can work against all types of offenses.

Latest posts