I waited till this morning

talent vs. coaching?

a lot of people have complained about "lack of 2nd half adjustments." what this means is that after a half (or after the first time playing us), teams discovered that if you 1) get the guards back on transition d and 2) shove iowa's front line around, you beat this team.

pretty hard to make a halftime adjustment to put more beef on utoff, white, and olesani, or to suddenly allow ogs, gesell, or utoff to create their own shot against power conference defenders.

the half court offense would stall because gesell would get stuck dribbling around the 3 pt line, shooters wouldn't get the space they needed off the curls, and then they would all look to dev. also, the ball movement on the perimeter would get stagnant -- particularly gesell and mccabe would hang on to it too long to swing the ball crisply to the short corner before a zone could rotate. these are partly talent issues, partly growth issues for the sophs.

this team will be ranked at the end of next year and get past the first round of the ncaa.

I agree - the past two years mix of players just can't get over the hump.

I just hope the residual effect isn't lingering around. A few players need to decide what they are going to be and what improvements they need to make.

talent vs. coaching?

a lot of people have complained about "lack of 2nd half adjustments." what this means is that after a half (or after the first time playing us), teams discovered that if you 1) get the guards back on transition d and 2) shove iowa's front line around, you beat this team.

pretty hard to make a halftime adjustment to put more beef on utoff, white, and olesani, or to suddenly allow ogs, gesell, or utoff to create their own shot against power conference defenders.

the half court offense would stall because gesell would get stuck dribbling around the 3 pt line, shooters wouldn't get the space they needed off the curls, and then they would all look to dev. also, the ball movement on the perimeter would get stagnant -- particularly gesell and mccabe would hang on to it too long to swing the ball crisply to the short corner before a zone could rotate. these are partly talent issues, partly growth issues for the sophs.

this team will be ranked at the end of next year and get past the first round of the ncaa.

Just remember one tidbit, it was Fran's idea to "de-beef" a few of these guys. Remember the whole Mel episode?
I like Fran and think he's done a pretty good job and won't pile on, I don't really blame him for last nights loss. It just is what it is we didn't get it done and now we move on to baseball season. As a whole season though, do I think he go out-coached by many of the upper tier coaches in the league? Yes unfortunately. Hopefully he is learning what it takes to win close games in a big time conference with big time coaches.

lololololololololololololololololololololololololol

Oh dear Lord, these people are serious. Gesell is awful at getting Iowa's offense initiated, he's normally bad on the break (although good last night), can't shoot, and can't finish.

As of now, Mike is a combo guard that can't shoot. Hopefully he develops, but as of now, he kind of hops sideways and goes nowhere against good PGs.

P.S. I understand he has a nice assist-to-turnover ratio, but that is a result of him never taking risks. If a quarterback refused to throw to open receivers down field, but had a high completion percentage of hitting the RBs out of the backfield, we wouldn't call him a good QB.
WOW...poll all B1G coaches I guarantee you they view Mike as our floor general!

I can sum up my feelings last night very easily. As the announcers said Iowa led the game for 36 minutes, then Fran pulled the bone head move of the game (just like we have the entire losing streak) out comes Mike and Marble takes over the point. End result another lost game down the stretch. We are the only team in the tournament that would pull their PG out to finish the game. I believe the future is bright...and that is how I will live the off-season. Go Hawks...

Loess, I know your experience from previous posts and respect a lot of what you say on this board. Good comments ... I, too, have set aside my disappointment over last night's game and am optimistic for next year. Hopefully the team -- including Fran -- learned from this season.

Why should Gesell have been in there particularly? In the previous 76 minutes of Hawkeye basketball he had been 0-14 from the field and not played that well. Oglesby had at least made two shots in the game.

It's really easy to pile on Fran for his substitution patterns and they haven't been perfect that's for sure. But he's just trying to find out which 5 guys out there can get him a win. When a team wins it's usually the players who get the credit. When it loses it's often the coach who gets the blame.

This team has made steady progress through Fran's four years, if we strictly look at results.

First year we get 11 wins but who could blame Fran after taking over a program in the garbage pit.
Second, we squeak into the NIT.
Third, we easily make the NIT and make it to the finals.
Fourth, we squeak into the NCAA.
Fifth ?????

The truth is the talent on this team hasn't been overwhelming and that's also a work under progress with Fran. Seems to me if Fran lands one more transfer who can play there could be another incremental improvement on this team next season.
Because if you watch the game...when mike comes out of the game especially late we become one dimensional. Devyn is now put at the PG position and works from the top of the key area. Basketball is a game of angles, teams can defend from the top of the key easier then they can from the baseline, elbows, etc. When Dev takes over he dribbles, dribbles, dribbles and eventually into double and even triple teams and they strip him. He also has little or no passing angles because of where he started from. When Mike runs the show we put Devyn in a win-win situation. He now gets to curl cut the block, lane, elbows and he gets the ball in a position on the court where he can exploit gaps in the defense and create his offense. It really is simple....

Last edited:
Because if you watch the game...when mike comes out of the game especially late we become one dimensional. Devyn is now put at the PG position and works from the top of the key area. Basketball is a game of angles, teams can defend from the top of the key easier then they can from the baseline, elbows, etc. When Dev takes over he dribbles, dribbles, dribbles and eventually into double and even triple teams and they strip him. He also has little or no passing angles because of where he started from. When Mike runs the show we put Devyn in a win-win situation. He now gets to curl cut the block, lane, elbows and he gets the ball in a position on the court where he can exploit gaps in the defense and create his offense. It really is simple....

Those are all good points Loess but it's also a game of putting the ball through the hole and Gesell hasn't been much of a threat to do that lately. We won a lot with Dev at point last year and I'm sure that played into Fran's decision.

Those are all good points Loess but it's also a game of putting the ball through the hole and Gesell hasn't been much of a threat to do that lately. We won a lot with Dev at point last year and I'm sure that played into Fran's decision.

Would it be fair to say Fran must see a need for upgrade at PG with the Dickerson signing and his all out pursuit of Ulis?

lololololololololololololololololololololololololol

Oh dear Lord, these people are serious. Gesell is awful at getting Iowa's offense initiated, he's normally bad on the break (although good last night), can't shoot, and can't finish.

As of now, Mike is a combo guard that can't shoot. Hopefully he develops, but as of now, he kind of hops sideways and goes nowhere against good PGs.

P.S. I understand he has a nice assist-to-turnover ratio, but that is a result of him never taking risks. If a quarterback refused to throw to open receivers down field, but had a high completion percentage of hitting the RBs out of the backfield, we wouldn't call him a good QB.

Perfectly said. Also, forced layups Are the same as turnovers

Perfectly said. Also, forced layups Are the same as turnovers

While the disagree that a forced layup is the same as a turnover...ask yourself this...why did he have to "force" some layups.

Gessell will improve, even more when he isn't "forced" to create shots. He's gritty, plays with great effort, pretty quick, and a streaky shooter.

He'll start next year, barring injury. IMO.

Why should Gesell have been in there particularly? In the previous 76 minutes of Hawkeye basketball he had been 0-14 from the field and not played that well. Oglesby had at least made two shots in the game.UOTE]

It Very Simple!!

Do you watch the flow of the offense when MG is at the point? I do and I think it is VERY important. I don't care if MG scores a point. 19 minutes is all he played, that is shocking to me!

In case you wondering:

Point guard (PG), also called the one, is one of the standard positions in a regulation basketball game. A point guard has perhaps the most specialized role of any position. They are expected to run the team's offense by controlling the ball and making sure that it gets to the right players at the right time.

Last edited:
Why should Gesell have been in there particularly? In the previous 76 minutes of Hawkeye basketball he had been 0-14 from the field and not played that well. Oglesby had at least made two shots in the game.

It's really easy to pile on Fran for his substitution patterns and they haven't been perfect that's for sure. But he's just trying to find out which 5 guys out there can get him a win. When a team wins it's usually the players who get the credit. When it loses it's often the coach who gets the blame.

This team has made steady progress through Fran's four years, if we strictly look at results.

First year we get 11 wins but who could blame Fran after taking over a program in the garbage pit.
Second, we squeak into the NIT.
Third, we easily make the NIT and make it to the finals.
Fourth, we squeak into the NCAA.
Fifth ?????

The truth is the talent on this team hasn't been overwhelming and that's also a work under progress with Fran. Seems to me if Fran lands one more transfer who can play there could be another incremental improvement on this team next season.

I like Gesell, but you are correct, he was awful down the stretch (not of the game, but of the season).

WOW...poll all B1G coaches I guarantee you they view Mike as our floor general!

What a great argument, just throw out an impossible to proof assumption.

Gesell completely craps his pants when an athletic PG goes at him. The offense stalls, and Iowa suffers. Fran desperately wants Gesell to be a PG, but even Fran had to adjust and go with Marble at the point. Fran also grabbed a JUCO point for a reason.

Gesell isn't going to be a leader next year, that will be Adam's job. He has the attitude, while Gesell will win the sportsmanship award again.

What a great argument, just throw out an impossible to proof assumption.

Gesell completely craps his pants when an athletic PG goes at him. The offense stalls, and Iowa suffers. Fran desperately wants Gesell to be a PG, but even Fran had to adjust and go with Marble at the point. Fran also grabbed a JUCO point for a reason.

Gesell isn't going to be a leader next year, that will be Adam's job. He has the attitude, while Gesell will win the sportsmanship award again.

Wow!! Were you paying attention during the game? So Iowa up 11 yesterday with 6 minutes to go to the half and Fran sits MG. MG re-enters with 1 minute until the half and Iowa up 6 and all the momentum with the Vols. Fran is asked at Halftime what happened he said that the offense sputtered to end the half. Ya think!

Iowa loses control of the game at the end of the 1st half and at the end of the game. Guess who is sitting and guess who is running the point during both those stretches. :)

While the disagree that a forced layup is the same as a turnover...ask yourself this...why did he have to "force" some layups.

Gessell will improve, even more when he isn't "forced" to create shots. He's gritty, plays with great effort, pretty quick, and a streaky shooter.

He'll start next year, barring injury. IMO.

I don't see him starting unless dickenson is a bust. Guys can't get open when he is at point. That is why he has to force those awful layups. He is just not a good enough athlete. IMO

I really dislike the way this thread has devolved into an attack on Mike. He is the floor leader and will be next year. The starter's job is his to lose; does anyone on here honestly think that will happen?

I don't see him starting unless dickenson is a bust. Guys can't get open when he is at point. That is why he has to force those awful layups. He is just not a good enough athlete. IMO

Welp, there you have it...different opinions. Hopefully Dickerson is good and they both get minutes.

I really dislike the way this thread has devolved into an attack on Mike. He is the floor leader and will be next year. The starter's job is his to lose; does anyone on here honestly think that will happen?

Seems like the board is always attacking someone, each game a different target. I'm a MG backer though.

I doubt he comes off the bench. I do think he will run the point less.

Latest posts