I waited till this morning

loesshillshawk

I can sum up my feelings last night very easily. As the announcers said Iowa led the game for 36 minutes, then Fran pulled the bone head move of the game (just like we have the entire losing streak) out comes Mike and Marble takes over the point. End result another lost game down the stretch. We are the only team in the tournament that would pull their PG out to finish the game. I believe the future is bright...and that is how I will live the off-season. Go Hawks...

If all the players stay on board and committed, we will be fine. However, if whatever poisoned the Hawks over the last 6 weeks is still around I am not sure what the outcome will be. Fran needs to assess the situation closely and act accordingly.

If all the players stay on board and committed, we will be fine. However, if whatever poisoned the Hawks over the last 6 weeks is still around I am not sure what the outcome will be. Fran needs to assess the situation closely and act accordingly.

Again last nite the hawks had a scoring drought at the end of the first half (we usually have one in the first half) and then we have trouble scoring/hitting some key shots late in the second half.

I am not sure it is a poison but just something about the makeup of this team. There were few players on this team who could hit a big dagger type shot . The hawks had some good looks in the last 4 minutes of regulation last nite and they only needed one shot to go down.

How many times have we only needed one shot to fall.

I can sum up my feelings last night very easily. As the announcers said Iowa led the game for 36 minutes, then Fran pulled the bone head move of the game (just like we have the entire losing streak) out comes Mike and Marble takes over the point. End result another lost game down the stretch. We are the only team in the tournament that would pull their PG out to finish the game. I believe the future is bright...and that is how I will live the off-season. Go Hawks...

Totally agree that Gesell should have been in there. I know that he wasn't hitting his shoot again, but neither was Olgelsby.

When you consistently lose the same way and don't change your philosophy, that's a coaching issue. We got destroyed down low in the second half, but never saw Woody and Gabe in the game at the same time.

My Cyclone Friend was questioning bringing Mike out too. I'm not going to pile on too much, but let it be clear - Fran has yet to show he can coach with the best yet and has been clearly out-coached several games this year. Just a fact, has nothing to do with his passion/recruiting/work ethic etc. Those are all fine, but actual in game coaching is leaving a lot to be desired.

My Cyclone Friend was questioning bringing Mike out too. I'm not going to pile on too much, but let it be clear - Fran has yet to show he can coach with the best yet and has been clearly out-coached several games this year. Just a fact, has nothing to do with his passion/recruiting/work ethic etc. Those are all fine, but actual in game coaching is leaving a lot to be desired.

I just don't think our guys are as good as we like to think they are. Fran covered that up with tempo early in the season, but other coaches figured it out and once they did, well our talent deficiencies came back to the forefront.

lololololololololololololololololololololololololol

Oh dear Lord, these people are serious. Gesell is awful at getting Iowa's offense initiated, he's normally bad on the break (although good last night), can't shoot, and can't finish.

As of now, Mike is a combo guard that can't shoot. Hopefully he develops, but as of now, he kind of hops sideways and goes nowhere against good PGs.

P.S. I understand he has a nice assist-to-turnover ratio, but that is a result of him never taking risks. If a quarterback refused to throw to open receivers down field, but had a high completion percentage of hitting the RBs out of the backfield, we wouldn't call him a good QB.

Again last nite the hawks had a scoring drought at the end of the first half (we usually have one in the first half) and then we have trouble scoring/hitting some key shots late in the second half.

I am not sure it is a poison but just something about the makeup of this team. There were few players on this team who could hit a big dagger type shot . The hawks had some good looks in the last 4 minutes of regulation last nite and they only needed one shot to go down.

How many times have we only needed one shot to fall.

We have scoring droughts because we take bad shots and we get lazy on offense. Guys who work down low never get the ball and the perimeter guys chuck it up despite being covered. Sure, at times those bad shots fall and the team hits 3s and we look good but that is no a long term plan. The best place to score and the most efficient place to score is the post and we avoid it like the plague during scoring droughts.

lololololololololololololololololololololololololol

Oh dear Lord, these people are serious. Gesell is awful at getting Iowa's offense initiated, he's normally bad on the break (although good last night), can't shoot, and can't finish.

As of now, Mike is a combo guard that can't shoot. Hopefully he develops, but as of now, he kind of hops sideways and goes nowhere against good PGs.

P.S. I understand he has a nice assist-to-turnover ratio, but that is a result of him never taking risks. If a quarterback refused to throw to open receivers down field, but had a high completion percentage of hitting the RBs out of the backfield, we wouldn't call him a good QB.

Yeah, I don't like calling guys out by name, but you're 100% right. Gesell usually looks okay against guys like Sobolewski and the folks we see in non-con play, but he is very pedestrian against high major competition. Jake Christensen had a 17-6 ratio in 2007 and JVB had a 25-7 ratio in 2011, but those stats were meaningless when put to the eyeball test.

When i looked up at the end of regulation and we still had 5 time outs...that was the end for me. 1st NCAA tourny game and you cant find a use or a need for a time out in the second half of a close game?????
I honestly dont know what Fran could say to me, to reel me back in.

When i looked up at the end of regulation and we still had 5 time outs...that was the end for me. 1st NCAA tourny game and you cant find a use or a need for a time out in the second half of a close game?????
I honestly dont know what Fran could say to me, to reel me back in.

Nah, we had 4 - 1 is a use it or lose it. They then add two back 2 for OT, I think.

When you consistently lose the same way and don't change your philosophy, that's a coaching issue. We got destroyed down low in the second half, but never saw Woody and Gabe in the game at the same time.

This was mind boggling all season - the substitution patterns were awful all year long. As was our half court offense.

I just don't think our guys are as good as we like to think they are. Fran covered that up with tempo early in the season, but other coaches figured it out and once they did, well our talent deficiencies came back to the forefront.

Honest question - do you think Wisconsin has far better talent than us? Curious what people think, thats the first team that comes to mind. I can't stand Bo, but I do believe he sucks every ounce of ability out of his teams every year.
Did Fran adjust once teams caught on how to beat us? Great coaches can make a difference and make average to above average talent come together and play great. He was out-coached several games this year, many times with goofy substitutions but I don't really recall him out-coaching anyone else. Just my opinion.

Honest question - do you think Wisconsin has far better talent than us? Curious what people think, thats the first team that comes to mind. I can't stand Bo, but I do believe he sucks every ounce of ability out of his teams every year.
Did Fran adjust once teams caught on how to beat us? Great coaches can make a difference and make average to above average talent come together and play great. He was out-coached several games this year, many times with goofy substitutions but I don't really recall him out-coaching anyone else. Just my opinion.

The Grinch in Madison is the best coach in the B1G with the talent he has.
Both the football and basketball teams play well in the first half, and in the second half, very little noticeable adjustments.

Yes, I do think they have better talent than us.

Totally agree that Gesell should have been in there. I know that he wasn't hitting his shoot again, but neither was Olgelsby.

Why should Gesell have been in there particularly? In the previous 76 minutes of Hawkeye basketball he had been 0-14 from the field and not played that well. Oglesby had at least made two shots in the game.

It's really easy to pile on Fran for his substitution patterns and they haven't been perfect that's for sure. But he's just trying to find out which 5 guys out there can get him a win. When a team wins it's usually the players who get the credit. When it loses it's often the coach who gets the blame.

This team has made steady progress through Fran's four years, if we strictly look at results.

First year we get 11 wins but who could blame Fran after taking over a program in the garbage pit.
Second, we squeak into the NIT.
Third, we easily make the NIT and make it to the finals.
Fourth, we squeak into the NCAA.
Fifth ?????

The truth is the talent on this team hasn't been overwhelming and that's also a work under progress with Fran. Seems to me if Fran lands one more transfer who can play there could be another incremental improvement on this team next season.

talent vs. coaching?

a lot of people have complained about "lack of 2nd half adjustments." what this means is that after a half (or after the first time playing us), teams discovered that if you 1) get the guards back on transition d and 2) shove iowa's front line around, you beat this team.

pretty hard to make a halftime adjustment to put more beef on utoff, white, and olesani, or to suddenly allow ogs, gesell, or utoff to create their own shot against power conference defenders.

the half court offense would stall because gesell would get stuck dribbling around the 3 pt line, shooters wouldn't get the space they needed off the curls, and then they would all look to dev. also, the ball movement on the perimeter would get stagnant -- particularly gesell and mccabe would hang on to it too long to swing the ball crisply to the short corner before a zone could rotate. these are partly talent issues, partly growth issues for the sophs.

this team will be ranked at the end of next year and get past the first round of the ncaa.

Latest posts