I told you all that Greg Davis was a terrible hire

Davis is not the problem...V-berg is the problem. He does not have the skills to execute. If we were to give Davis the opportunity to play the QB of his choosing, I bet we would look a lot diff. I would also bet that we would not longer be seeing V-berg

Davis is not the problem...V-berg is the problem. He does not have the skills to execute. If we were to give Davis the opportunity to play the QB of his choosing, I bet we would look a lot diff. I would also bet that we would not longer be seeing V-berg

I can agree with this. We should have have at least 10 points in the first half. And minus a couple really bad interceptions I think they have least 10 less points.

This reminds me of Moneyball, where Art Howe refuses to play Hatteberg at first. So Billy Beane just trades Pena right out from under him and forces the issue.

Too bad that can't happen here.

I thought GD was suppose to implement a system that fits our players. JVB didn't suddenly start to duck. This is a bad system for JVB.

Just think, after this season there will be a job posting for a new o-coordinator.

Agree with this. Why I not counting out the QB from Texas Davis recruited is the QB Iowa plays next season.

Can't argue with the premise of this thread. Other than to say is should have been "How Greg Davis took a top B1G QB and turned him into the worst QB in the nation."
JVB was a good QB last year. He was expected to be among the elite this year. He has the size, the arm strength and the experiance. Somehow Greg Davis has replaced a promising QB with a dredfull clone with no arm strength, no accuracy and now no football future.
It's time to put Jake in, boot Greg out. It's time for JVB to start working on his doctorate, because Coach Davis has killed any chance of an NFL career for him.

Can't argue with the premise of this thread. Other than to say is should have been "How Greg Davis took a top B1G QB and turned him into the worst QB in the nation."
JVB was a good QB last year. He was expected to be among the elite this year. He has the size, the arm strength and the experiance. Somehow Greg Davis has replaced a promising QB with a dredfull clone with no arm strength, no accuracy and now no football future.
It's time to put Jake in, boot Greg out. It's time for JVB to start working on his doctorate, because Coach Davis has killed any chance of an NFL career for him.

This post is so ridiculous, I really don't know where to start. JVB had some good games against some terrible defenses last year. He also had son ugly games. The biggest difference was, he had a guy like McNutt that had unbelievable talent. We don't have that this year, but guys are open, it's just that JVB has to make a decision. But instead if making decisions, he locks onto one guy, and throws it as hard as he can, often right into the ground. And when people get close to him, he pees down his leg and makes a horrible throw. I will give him credit for being tough in the pocket at the end of the game. Believe me, he may be big and strong enough, but neither KOK or GD could make this guy a NFL QB. He just doesn't have it. Time to groom someone for the future so we're not in the exact same place a year from now.

Ken O'Keefe came to Iowa with a rep (and a background to support it) as a guy who could score points with his offense. Ferentz put the hand cuffs on him. But O'Keefe took all the heat.

Now we have an OC, with an even tighter playbook, one who couldn't get rehired after Texas whacked him. And conveniently, just what KFz would like philosophically. (sphincter tight offense)

I had the chance to speak with a couple parents of current players, and others who know parents of current players, first hand today. Without naming names (out of respect for the folks), let's just say you'd recognize them.

Bottom line: Greg Davis is a f***ing disaster. The players will say all the right things in front of the reporters...as they should. But they're not believers. He was a terrible hire...but not a surprising one considering our Head Coach's mentality. And knowing KFz's tendency (which like all his tendencies is painfully predictable and repeditive) don't expect a change anytime soon. This is what we're stuck with for a number of years.

This post is so ridiculous, I really don't know where to start. JVB had some good games against some terrible defenses last year. He also had son ugly games. The biggest difference was, he had a guy like McNutt that had unbelievable talent. We don't have that this year, but guys are open, it's just that JVB has to make a decision. But instead if making decisions, he locks onto one guy, and throws it as hard as he can, often right into the ground. And when people get close to him, he pees down his leg and makes a horrible throw. I will give him credit for being tough in the pocket at the end of the game. Believe me, he may be big and strong enough, but neither KOK or GD could make this guy a NFL QB. He just doesn't have it. Time to groom someone for the future so we're not in the exact same place a year from now.

Oh,Pleeze! JVB may not have been perfect last year, but the numbers don't lie. McNutt a "unbelievable talent"? I'm a fan of McNutt but I can't buy that line. He was a good college reciever. Not great. While it hurts not to have a McNutt. You can't miss the fact that the offensive plan is bad. For what ever reason JVB is not the same player as he was last year. Preseason he was picked by most of the experts to be one of the top QB's in the league. And now he is one of the worst in the country.
7 Games 3 TD's. JVB might not have taken over any games last year, but he certainly wasn't the guy we are seeing now. If he would had the same stats this year as he did last year, a NFL team would have picked him up.

One of the things Ferentz stated when he hired Davis was he liked his ability to adapt his offense to the skill sets of his players over the years.

So what happened Greg and Kirk? You both know we don't have Texas level talent and never will. So you say we need to acquire more speed. We've been saying that for years and we're still the slower team on the field in most games.....on both sides of the ball by the way. Our head coach says we're just Iowa so we can't expect to recruit with Top 20 programs.......it's too cold, we're not in a populated state, not enough tradition, facilities need another upgrade, etc.

i know, we just need to work on our execution.

I dont want to Bash JVB or Kirk but maybe throw out an example of a program on the rise that was the laughing stock of NCAA Football for years.. Look what David Cutcliff has done at DUKE. I am not a fan of Duke sports at all but that man took a program that was basketball 1st, lacrosse 2nd, womens basketball 3rd, intramurals 4th, then maybe football fell in there as the 5th most popular sport.. He believes in his players he believes in that school. He has passion for winning and a total different sideline demeanor than I have ever seen from Kirk.. I think Kirk like most professional athletes in all sports got "PAID" and became complacent.

Just my opinion but I don't think the struggles are on Davis. I have seen positive changes in the play calling, some new wrinkles, and new plays in every game.

We just got whippy whipped and I fully expect complaining about everything, but I don't think this is much on the staff.

We weren't good at all today and PSU was lights out

Have to agree here, and I'm usually one of the 'dissidents.' My Dad was listening on the radio, and he kept texting me to complain, but the usual complaints weren't viable last night. He tried:

1) "Are we blitzing at all?" "Yes. A lot, actually. McGloin is just checking to hot receivers."
2) "Can't we bring in a nickel back?" "We have been. And dime. And McGloin is finding the one LB in the 4-1-6."

In the end, their QB was MUCH more accurate, and their running game at least had a pulse. Ballgame. Two big O-line injuries hurt us early, and when Meyer missed the shorter of his two FG attempts, you were crazy to think it wasn't a night like '04 Arizona State. Just got whooped and couldn't do anything right even though we often got our guys open and/or had theirs covered.

Latest posts