I think we need to temper expectations

Iowa was outscored 50-46 in the second half last night. Yes, Iowa won. But the second half imbalance in offense/defense has to concern Fran and the staff a bit.

Unless Dan McCarney is Notre dame's coach, I don't think winning the second half is significant.

Iowa was outscored 50-46 in the second half last night. Yes, Iowa won. But the second half imbalance in offense/defense has to concern Fran and the staff a bit.

Just wondering did Gabe see the floor in the second half the last two games? He needs more minutes, huge upside potential.

You mean I shouldn't be holding out for a national title? Is 3rd or 4th in the big 10 expecting too much. Don't think so, move along!

Of this team. There are some glaring problems. One of those problems is the lack of development of our players. This is my first real criticism of Fran but I feel it's warranted. Can anyone here say that Basabe is a better player as a SR, than he was as a FR? What about Woody? McCabe is the one guy I can say that has actually gotten better over the past few years.
Maybe it's the depth and rotation that has made it seem like there is little to no development. Am I missing it? Are we going to be a program of bodies with no development?

Are you on ******* drugs?

My expectations have actually gone up since watching this team.... a little ahead of where I thought.

Alright. Maybe i am missing it.
Marble came to Iowa as a skinny 17 yr old and Gabe was new to the game. Every player on the teamshould improve each year they play based on the natural process of maturity and repetition. Maybe its on the players and not the coaches but I am seeing less "team" basketball and more iso-style of offense. Isnt that part of player development? These guys played better team basketball last year.
I'm not trolling you guys. Its honest concern for what I am watching right now. Maybe I didnt look at it from the right direction. After having read the responses, it's not the development of the players that's lacking. It's the lack of development of the "team" game.

Maybe that's part of what you get when so many players are fighting for minutes. Too many players trying to force the game instead of playing within the system and letting the minutes work itself out. Thanks for the responses. The criticism (not all of which was constructive) helped me put a finger on what i was having a problem with.

I must have missed the part of last nights game where the team didn't step up and play as a team to close out a very good ND team.

Marble came to Iowa as a skinny 17 yr old and Gabe was new to the game. Every player on the teamshould improve each year they play based on the natural process of maturity and repetition. Maybe its on the players and not the coaches but I am seeing less "team" basketball and more iso-style of offense. Isnt that part of player development? These guys played better team basketball last year.
I'm not trolling you guys. Its honest concern for what I am watching right now. Maybe I didnt look at it from the right direction. After having read the responses, it's not the development of the players that's lacking. It's the lack of development of the "team" game.

I will assume you're trolling. As I don't know how anyone could watch the Hawkeyes on offense and believe they don't play as a team. In the 2nd half they went to more iso because ND went to a zone. The plan is to drive and dish until they bust the zone. It just looked like all iso because dev got hot and took over. The only worry for me is the team D. However, I attribute the drop offs in the 2nd half against Nova and ND to the 4 games in 6 days and the fact they are the two most talented and experienced teams they have played this year.

I would also like to add that if you watch last years NC games compared to this years it really is completely different and a vast improvement. We had the same D problems early last year and started to really progress as we got into btn play.

The Hawks are averaging over 90 points per game and you are complaining about the "iso-style" offense?

The Hawks had over 50 points at half and their leading scorer on the year only had 4 at that point. The team had 5 guys in double figures last night.

You are just looking for something to complain about.

I think we need to temper expectations in the sense we can all but stop the comparisons to the 1987 team. Yes, Iowa has a lot of depth like that team, but they are not as talented as that team. With streaky shooters, soft post-defense, and marginal go to players, this team will be in trouble when it faces very physical opponents. They are a 4th or 5th place team in the Big Ten and likely a 2nd round team in the Big Dance (ironically that is not to far off where the 87 team finished, but Iowa is not going to be ranked number 1 anytime this year and not being an elite 8 unless they get a very favorable draw and our shooting very, very, well). There is no shame in that considering where we have been and Fran is still moving the program forward. However, I do worry about next year when we lose a lot of these pieces.

Fran's challenge will be reloading in the future and doing the types of things Mr. Davis did in making the program an almost yearly big dance participant. However, it is going to be harder for Fran to do this compared to Davis because of how you have to schedule tougher opponents in the preseason. And he has the challenge of keeping this program a .500 or better team in the Big Ten like Davis was able to do most years.

This is going to be a fun team to watch in the sense it is not like watching paint dry. They are going to beat some teams they should not and beat most of the teams they should beat. Iowa is no longer a complete push-over.

Last edited:
After seeing other B10 teams, I actually feel better about our chances now then before the season started. Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin all look beatable, I think we have a great shot at finishing third in the league. Also, how in the world can you say there has been no development?

I agree. the Big doesn't look that hot this year.

Not only are they not a push over, they are one of the top 20 or so best teams in the country and are in the midst of proving that. I am not sure where expectations were for this team, but if they were higher than that, ya'll need Jesus.

yeah, the score doesn't affect the strategy in the final minutes. They should have tried to win by 20 to make you feel better.

yeah, the score doesn't affect the strategy in the final minutes. They should have tried to win by 20 to make you feel better.

This makes no sense. I understand Iowa may want to sit on a lead a bit and not push it when up by 6-7 points late in the game. But I believe Fran to be enough of a competitor that he wants his team to score more points than the opponent in any given stretch of time, whether it's the entire game, one half, a five-minute segment, etc. That includes scoring your own points and preventing the opponent from getting his. :eek:

You might want to learn a little bit more about basketball before you critique it any more. You sound like a fool. OR, you're a troll. I'm betting on the latter.

HOLY CRAP, there are some very dumb people on this board. No knowledge of the game at all, but continue to criticize

Latest posts