I Think It's Over

BSpringsteen

The drum is beating too loudly.

I haven't heard anyone of substance (aside from Kirk Ferentz) come out and support him. No vote of confidence from Barta. None of the message board heads. None of the influential columnists.

Two weeks ago, people were talking about turning a corner. Lick's system was working! We love this team! Then the coach's son got some PT, and the coach said some questionable things about why and now it is over.

The Iowa fanbase resembles the mobs of citizens from The Simpsons sometimes. I suppose all schools do. I suppose I am just confused how we have gone from turning the corner to this in one game. But regardless of how we got here, we are here.

Because unless we come out and go .500 the rest of the way, it is seeming to me like there is going to be mutiny if he is retained for another year.

The whole turning the corner thing was wishful thinking. We beat some really bad teams and lost to a couple of good teams, albeit by not overly huge margins.

That is kind of like turning the corner out of a dark alley onto a rundown street with a bunch of stores that are boarded up. You might be out of the dark alley, but the prospects still look bleak.

Then Iowa wins tonight, and everyone loves him again.

He isn't going anywhere, despite what the "Influential columnists" (????) have to say about it.

I think you're probably right CAAR but think that the highs and lows of Iowa fans are almost amusing to watch.

And Ghost, you are right, none of the columnists in iowa are influential.

I don't think more losing this season, standing alone, is going to lead to any change. There are too many reasons for Barta to sit tight for at least another season--perhaps not from the fans' perspective, but from his.

I think the only "outs" would be if (1) it becomes apparent that Coach has lost the team completely; (2) we have more defections among significant current players or signed recruits; or (3) Lick decides to step aside. The latter seems extremely unlikely on paper, both for the obvious financial reasons and because Coach wouldn't be here if he weren't a fierce competitor. On the other hand, I don't think I've eve rseen a coach who publicly displays the level of frustration and/or depression about his team that he does. Between that and his past health issue (which hopefully is fixed for good), it's conceivable that he would decide that enough is enough and work out a reduced buyout.

But if I could get even odds I'd be betting heavily that he's back next season.

I don't think more losing this season, standing alone, is going to lead to any change. There are too many reasons for Barta to sit tight for at least another season--perhaps not from the fans' perspective, but from his.

I think the only "outs" would be if (1) it becomes apparent that Coach has lost the team completely; (2) we have more defections among significant current players or signed recruits; or (3) Lick decides to step aside. The latter seems extremely unlikely on paper, both for the obvious financial reasons and because Coach wouldn't be here if he weren't a fierce competitor. On the other hand, I don't think I've eve rseen a coach who publicly displays the level of frustration and/or depression about his team that he does. Between that and his past health issue (which hopefully is fixed for good), it's conceivable that he would decide that enough is enough and work out a reduced buyout.

But if I could get even odds I'd be betting heavily that he's back next season.
Unfortunately he will be back next year. Just watch, you think there is apathy this year? He has the 7th best class in the b10 coming in. The league is young just like we are. Also there are top 20 classes in the nation coming to B10 land...we will struggle to be a game or two higher then this year. It is sad that the administration obviously doesn't give a rats arse about basketball anymore. Good luck gettin the cash for the new facility with Lick Ball.

What could Barta say? He's not going to come out and give any type of public ultimatum as that serves no purpose. If he came out with any type of public support that would just get the masses in more of an uproar. Besides, when I hear an AD give a public vote of confidence I figure it's akin to the athlete going after the big contract and saying "it's not about the money". In other words, I don't believe 'em.

Right now I'm just going to sit back and watch how the rest of the season plays out. From there the offseason will be EXTREMELY important. I don't want any non-senior player attrition for any reason.

Then Iowa wins tonight, and everyone loves him again.

He isn't going anywhere, despite what the "Influential columnists" (????) have to say about it.

Funny. And True.

Then the influential bandwagon columnists and radio hosts will be beating a different drum, on que.

I think you're probably right CAAR but think that the highs and lows of Iowa fans are almost amusing to watch.

Oh, yeah. The reactionaries here are a blast.

And imagine, if it were not for the internet, they would act like human beings instead of loud, borish, under-educated, over-opinionated blowhards.

2007-2008: 13-19 (6-12 in BT)
2008-2009: 15-16 (5-13 in BT)
2009-2010: 8-14 (2-7 in BT)

Even with my lack of edjamacation I can't tell Lick ain't gettin' it done.

The deal is...it is fairly easy to sit there in the pre-season and accept that Iowa is picked 10th or 11th on paper by the pronostigators,but when you actually go thru the long,marathon season in the cold months of jan and feb, living the losses...it ain't on paper then. It is real. And painful. So,while it is almost a lock that Lick has another year, barring some unforseen disaster(mass transfers), I have said all along,he has to win enough to make the NIT next year or else. Going thru this type of season 3 years in a row is hell,but 4? No way he will survive another season like this one,imo.

Oh, yeah. The reactionaries here are a blast.

And imagine, if it were not for the internet, they would act like human beings instead of loud, borish, under-educated, over-opinionated blowhards.

On behalf of all the under-educated Hawk fans, I'd like to thank you Ghost for being what ever it is you think you are and for keeping us, the unwashed masses, enlighted.

P.S. Say Hi to your mother for us when she comes down the basement with your TV dinner tonight.

LBJ lost Walter Cronkite, leading to the pullout from Vietnam.
Todd Lickliter lost Jon Miller, leading to ... ?

I'm going to assume this, like much of what you post, was tongue in cheek--since the immutable truth is that we human beings often are "loud, borish, under-educated, over-opinionated blowhards" (or some combination thereof), with or without the Internet.

:)

I like your work though, Ghost, in part because you do a nice job of leaving some little bit of doubt as to whether you're being serious or not.

The deal is...it is fairly easy to sit there in the pre-season and accept that Iowa is picked 10th or 11th on paper by the pronostigators,but when you actually go thru the long,marathon season in the cold months of jan and feb, living the losses...it ain't on paper then. It is real. And painful. So,while it is almost a lock that Lick has another year, barring some unforseen disaster(mass transfers), I have said all along,he has to win enough to make the NIT next year or else. Going thru this type of season 3 years in a row is hell,but 4? No way he will survive another season like this one,imo.

Very true, JH. I know I'll be one of the lost if anything like this season occurs next year. Not because I don't care, but because I care so much!

On behalf of all the under-educated Hawk fans, I'd like to thank you Ghost for being what ever it is you think you are and for keeping us, the unwashed masses, enlighted.

P.S. Say Hi to your mother for us when she comes down the basement with your TV dinner tonight.

ZING!

IMO, the win-loss record won't be as important as more players leaving the team...if that happens, look out. Things will escalate very quickly. I'm torn at this point, so I'm going to try to just see how the rest of the season plays out.

IMO, the win-loss record won't be as important as more players leaving the team...if that happens, look out. Things will escalate very quickly. I'm torn at this point, so I'm going to try to just see how the rest of the season plays out.

This is where I'm at. I'd like to see the next month play out before condemning anybody. If most of the remaining games resemble the OSU and Indiana games, then I'd say give it another year to see if Lickliter can get it done next year with a full roster, more experience, etc.

BUT.. if there are more transfers and/or the team pretty much loses out and looks terrible doing it, then I'll most likely be in line chanting for a coaching change as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts