I think Iowa has the emotional edge next week.. thanks Bucks.

Wisconsin's defense is legit. Last night I heard Cichy and Watt's names more than I care to. They held fOSU to 30 points and the most prior to that was Georgia St, at 17 points. Hell, Michigan could only muster 14 points against Wisky.

I don't see us making more than 14 points and I don't see our defensive line stopping the run. And, forget about blitzing the edges, yet that might just be what we try to do next week. :cool:

Yeah, this is where we're at as a program.

No reason we shouldn't be at Wisconsin's level every year. Similar recruiting situation, similar histories, both 2nd tier B1G.

But they're coming to Kinnick and what's the opinion? We might have a chance! Especially if they're physically and/or mentally worn out after OSU!

Wisky's on their 3rd hc in, what, 4 years? And I look at them and go "Huh. What a difference gameplan and attitude make! If only Iowa had those!"

I can't believe the love some people have for Wisconsin. Playing up against your competition when it's a home night game against OSU is not an indecation of how your team plays week to week. We saw Wisconsin's best possible game last night. If they happen to bring that again (which is highly unlikely) we will probably lose..

What you said would make sense..

-IF-

Someone didn't watch any of the LSU Game and or the the game at Michigan.

So that being said you IMO just made no sense!!!

Man, I just don't get the gloom and doom out of some people (and even the media it appears....just from the front page "Schwartz: How Iowa beats Badgers is a Mystery.")

Iowa has a better QB, Iowa's running backs are playing very well at the moment, and Iowa's D is doing a good job against the run. It is at Kinnick and Wisconsin is coming off 2 heartbreaking losses. Iowa beat this team last year at their house. Iowa should be able to compete in this game and have a chance.

The keys will be can we stop their running game, can we force a turnover or two, and can we get some key yardage on the ground against their D line.

I think we are looking at a 24-17, 24-13, 24-10 like ball game.

Last edited:
I don't see us scoring I could honestly see 31-0 Wisconsin. The line is ridiculous at Whisky -3 pull out your 401k and mortgage the house.

I don't see us scoring I could honestly see 31-0 Wisconsin. The line is ridiculous at Whisky -3 pull out your 401k and mortgage the house.

I said the same thing about the game at Minnesota. In fact, I nearly bet a lot of money on that game but thankfully decided against it.

We won't be able to throw against Wisconsin, what else is new? We threw for 77 yards last year vs them, with an INT. Do you think it will be worse than that?

It is funny that some around here think that Iowa games last year were flukes, yet think Wisconsin this year is some dominate team. Wisconsin is 2 plays from being 2-4 right now....they are also 2 plays from being 6-0. College football is very small margins, and I'd bet the Iowa game comes down to the same, 1-3 plays that will determine the game.....Just like in '14 and '15

Well said. Particularly at programs like Iowa and Wisconsin who have proven they can play with the elites, while at the same time losing to inferior opponents. Iowa is a couple plays away from being 3-4 or 7-0.

This is another swing game. Winnable for both teams. I give the edge to Wisconsin because their play calling on offense and their ability to pressure the QB.

You guys are drinking some serious koolaid if you think we have any chance to beat Wisconsin. We just played 2 awful teams in Minnesota and Purdue, one of which we scored a whopping 14 points against. We had trouble throwing against both those teams, and their defenses were awful. What makes you think we can throw or run against Wisconsin? Wisconsin will run the ball on us. They did on Ohio State, and anyone can throw us.
Really?? History disagrees with you pretty much entirely. Since 2000, here are the scores between the two schools -
October 28, 2000 Iowa City, IA Wisconsin 13 Iowa 7 Wisconsin 38–36–2
November 3, 2001 Madison, WI Wisconsin 34 Iowa 28 Wisconsin 39–36–2
November 2, 2002 Iowa City, IA #9 Iowa 20 Wisconsin 3 Wisconsin 39–37–2
November 20, 2003 Madison, WI #17 Iowa 27 Wisconsin 21 Wisconsin 39–38–2
November 20, 2004 Iowa City, IA #17 Iowa 30 #9 Wisconsin 7 Tie 39–39–2
November 12, 2005 Madison, WI Iowa 20 #19 Wisconsin 10 Iowa 40–39–2
November 11, 2006 Iowa City, IA #16 Wisconsin 24 Iowa 21 Tie 40–40–2
September 22, 2007 Madison, WI #9 Wisconsin 17 Iowa 13 Wisconsin 41–40–2
October 18, 2008 Iowa City, IA Iowa 38 Wisconsin 16 Tie 41–41–2
October 17, 2009 Madison, WI #11 Iowa 20 Wisconsin 10 Iowa 42–41–2
October 23, 2010 Iowa City, IA #11 Wisconsin 31 #13 Iowa 30 Tie 42–42–2
November 2, 2013 Iowa City, IA #23 Wisconsin 28 Iowa 9 Wisconsin 43–42–2
November 22, 2014 Iowa City, IA #14 Wisconsin 26 Iowa 24 Wisconsin 44–42–2
November 28, 2015 Madison, WI Iowa 10 #19 Wisconsin 6 Wisconsin 44–43–2

Iowa has often been very average and still made it a close (as has WI) and this Wisconsin team doesn't have a Borland or a Melvin Gordon on it. The series is close and these games are close - get ready for a fight.
C'mon Hawks!

What you said would make sense..

-IF-

Someone didn't watch any of the LSU Game and or the the game at Michigan.

So that being said you IMO just made no sense!!!
Okay?? Michigan has played who (other than Wisky) and LSU is not a good team this year. MSU sucks and Wisky played great but not well enough to beat OSU at night, home game, ESPN Game Day, etc. I just think they are an okay team and not as great as people seem to think. It'll be close, regardless.

Surely you must jest at this. 24-10 type score at worst. Tight ball game either way likely.

Iowa has a (slim) shot against a veeery good Wisconsin team ... best two-loss team in the country, by far. Their young QB looked outstanding last night, sharper than we have seen Beathard at any time this year (especially considering the competition; Beathard hasn't faced a defense anywhere near that of OSU). Hawkeyes will be a decided underdog to a team that is FAR better than imagined coming into this season. Could get ugly.

How often, if ever, does that "emotional edge" last a whole game?

Eventually, all the tangibles that win football games kick-in and rule the day.

Yeah, this is where we're at as a program.

No reason we shouldn't be at Wisconsin's level every year. Similar recruiting situation, similar histories, both 2nd tier B1G.

But they're coming to Kinnick and what's the opinion? We might have a chance! Especially if they're physically and/or mentally worn out after OSU!

Wisky's on their 3rd hc in, what, 4 years? And I look at them and go "Huh. What a difference gameplan and attitude make! If only Iowa had those!"

I will be curious to see if Wisconsin can match the energy they brought last night. They gave it everything they had against Ohio State but came up short. A strong start will be huge for the Hawkeyes. A key for Wisconsin was that they played with the lead virtually the entire game, so they were able to pound Ohio State and run a lot of play-action at them.

If Iowa can start strong and get Wisconsin on their heels, the game will bode well for the Hawkeyes.

I wonder............

The schedule so far...and even as the players looked at the schedule during the off season...the opponents thus far probably looked very beatable to the team. Not the kind of competition that creates a surge of adrenaline by just thinking about it.

This week it is different. You can bet as the players were flying home from purdue they had a surge of adrenaline looking ahead to Wisconsin.

This can be the edge they need to 'game up' and eliminate the penalties and sleepyness.

And so if you see an Iowa team that is hanging in with Wisconsin...dont be surprised.

just a theory

NCH

Surely you must jest at this. 24-10 type score at worst. Tight ball game either way likely.
No jest and why would it be close? We were dominated on the ground by a garbage team that just lost to South Dakota State. What have you seen that says we can stop Wisconsin? We have a QB that struggles to break 100 yards a game and he will need a career day to even keep it close. I hope we pull a miracle but I seriously doubt it.

No jest and why would it be close? We were dominated on the ground by a garbage team that just lost to South Dakota State. What have you seen that says we can stop Wisconsin? We have a QB that struggles to break 100 yards a game and he will need a career day to even keep it close. I hope we pull a miracle but I seriously doubt it.

I'm not exactly sure this is the same Iowa team that played against the Bison. We are playing better ball.

I'm not exactly sure this is the same Iowa team that played against the Bison. We are playing better ball.
Right we don't have our two best receivers now, otherwise same mess. Are you judging our improvement on the NW loss the Rutgers win or the Purdue win?

Vegas must think we are in for a career day as it is a Wisconsin is a -3. I mean according to some of the brain trust around here Sconnie is unbeatable and should be favored by 40.

Reactions: trj
We all hate it, but bend don't break will need to be employed. I don't mean ultra conservative all game, I mean keep them in front, be disciplined, and wrap up.

Their frosh QB has been the difference for them, which noone expected. Their defense was going to be great, and their running game very good...my belief is that the play of this new QB is what have made them a top 10 team instead of a solid top 25 team.

Discipline on the edge will be imperative, as will tackling.

Can't turn the ball over and can't have presnap or dead ball penalties.

If we don't take some quick deep shots, Quick being the operative word, and have some success running the ball, we're in trouble.

Barrett escaping pressure and either running or hitting deep shots was the bulk of offense for OSU. We won't have that luxury of his mobility.

We will either need to be plus 1 or 2 in turnovers, or play almost flawless in execution...or both.

Ultra conservative offense and defense will not work this time and getting behind the chains will not be pretty.

If we can run on them, we got a shot. If we cant, I don't see it.

Go Hawks.

We all hate it, but bend don't break will need to be employed. I don't mean ultra conservative all game, I mean keep them in front, be disciplined, and wrap up.

Their frosh QB has been the difference for them, which noone expected. Their defense was going to be great, and their running game very good...my belief is that the play of this new QB is what have made them a top 10 team instead of a solid top 25 team.

Discipline on the edge will be imperative, as will tackling.

Can't turn the ball over and can't have presnap or dead ball penalties.

If we don't take some quick deep shots, Quick being the operative word, and have some success running the ball, we're in trouble.

Barrett escaping pressure and either running or hitting deep shots was the bulk of offense for OSU. We won't have that luxury of his mobility.

We will either need to be plus 1 or 2 in turnovers, or play almost flawless in execution...or both.

Ultra conservative offense and defense will not work this time and getting behind the chains will not be pretty.

If we can run on them, we got a shot. If we cant, I don't see it.

Go Hawks.

There will be 3 or 4 opportunities to get big chunk plays with play action they will need to get at least one or two of them. I am not biggest GD fan in the world, but I think he will know when to take those shots.........If it gets executed properly or not is a different story........

Latest posts