I think Brecht will be good... and other random thoughts

HawkeyeWalker

Nevada was not very good. But did have a few very good players. Notably their RB and a couple dlinemen. That said, not a very good team at all.

Brecht needs coached up, reps, and learn body placement, but was getting open regularly. Big, fast athlete.

Ragaini is more solid than I think he's given credit for. Has been reliable and gets open. And has good hands.

Dejean should get a few reps at wr, even for just a few Go routes

I like the long quick shots, even when they don't hit, it backs the safeties up and thins box count.

Petras was avg, slightly above avg. Which is his ceiling, and all he needs to be. Oline and multiple drops away from a 250 yard game and a couple TDs....

Oline has to make big jumps forward next 2 weeks. Pass pro and zone run assignments are rough.... but I have some faith they will. Pretty young across the board and there's steep learning curve with the pro zone scheme. More overall size than we've had in a while.

I stayed up and watched it all. At about 8 minute mark when I saw all the 2s get in on offense...and yet Petras stayed in.... I was livid. There is absolutely ZERO reason for that, none. Especially in that scenario where you are going to just hand it off. I immediately thought to myself, if I was Padilla or Labas, I'm in the portal tomorrow. That was glorified practice time and you have your starter in with the 2s. Why? For the reps?

Defense and Punting game is top 10-15 level, conceding that Def hasn't been truly tested by a good/great offense. New kicker has a big leg and looked solid. He's gonna be asked to win a game or 2.

Iowas offense has been at an F-, had a C+ performance against a bad team. Juuuuuust enough good things seen to give back a tiny glimmer of hope for 6-7 wins. Offense only needs to be at C- level most games to be a 6+ win team. C+ or better could win the West(not sure how impressive that is...but hey)

I keep seeing the note mentioned that Incarnate Word put up 55. I get that, our offense is avg at its absolute best. Incarnate word also gave up 41. Avg or even slightly below avg offense make Iowa a very tough beat for all but the elite.

Rutgers game is huge, and I believe a solid barometer for bowl game aspirations.

Big game. Let's hope for more growth. I'm not optimistic for some great season. But I've pulled a tiny bit back from the abyss.

Long time KF defender. Even an apologist. Pros always outweighed the cons. Hes a HOF coach that will have a forever legacy. But....He's lost me a Lot this year specifically. His statements, logic, and handling of both his son as OC and QB situation. Its indefensible. My expectations for Iowa offensive production is very low, I can accept far less than avg(clearly). Dead Ass Last and a 5 year high of 88th and avg of 110th in 5 years.... nah...

Go Hawks

1 touchdown allowed in 3 games.
13 total points.
That missed field goal after the delay? Only time Nevada even came close to the red zone. At least one sack and maybe a penalty or a TFL? Turned it into a 50+ yarder instead of a real makeable 30+ yarder.

Too bad the offense is so bad we don't talk about this defense. Also, we'd be 3-0 and could have another shot at a Big10 Championship game like last year.

Nevada was not very good. But did have a few very good players. Notably their RB and a couple dlinemen. That said, not a very good team at all.

Brecht needs coached up, reps, and learn body placement, but was getting open regularly. Big, fast athlete.

Ragaini is more solid than I think he's given credit for. Has been reliable and gets open. And has good hands.

I like the long quick shots, even when they don't hit, it backs the safeties up and thins box count.

Petras was avg, slightly above avg. Which is his ceiling, and all he needs to be. Oline and multiple drops away from a 250 yard game and a couple TDs....

Oline has to make big jumps forward next 2 weeks. Pass pro and zone run assignments are rough.... but I have some faith they will. Pretty young across the board and there's steep learning curve with the pro zone scheme. More overall size than we've had in a while.

I stayed up and watched it all. At about 8 minute mark when I saw all the 2s get in on offense...and yet Petras stayed in.... I was livid. There is absolutely ZERO reason for that, none. Especially in that scenario where you are going to just hand it off. I immediately thought to myself, if I was Padilla or Labas, I'm in the portal tomorrow. That was glorified practice time and you have your starter in with the 2s. Why? For the reps?

Defense and Punting game is top 10-15 level, conceding that Def hasn't been truly tested by a good/great offense. New kicker has a big leg and looked solid. He's gonna be asked to win a game or 2.

Iowas offense has been at an F-, had a C+ performance against a bad team. Juuuuuust enough good things seen to give back a tiny glimmer of hope for 6-7 wins. Offense only needs to be at C- level most games to be a 6+ win team. C+ or better could win the West(not sure how impressive that is...but hey)

I keep seeing the note mentioned that Incarnate Word put up 55. I get that, our offense is avg at its absolute best. Incarnate word also gave up 41. Avg or even slightly below avg offense make Iowa a very tough beat for all but the elite.

Rutgers game is huge, and I believe a solid barometer for bowl game aspirations.

Big game. Let's hope for more growth. I'm not optimistic for some great season. But I've pulled a tiny bit back from the abyss.

Long time KF defender. Even an apologist. Pros always outweighed the cons. Hes a HOF coach that will have a forever legacy. But....He's lost me a Lot this year specifically. His statements, logic, and handling of both his son as OC and QB situation. Its indefensible. My expectations for Iowa offensive production is very low, I can accept far less than avg(clearly). Dead Ass Last and a 5 year high of 88th and avg of 110th in 5 years.... nah...

Go Hawks
In reminds me of 2012 when Vandenberg was terrible and the fans wanted change. Kirk played him every single snap that year. Presumably out of spite. If Padilla came in and threw a few nice passes the fans would rightfully think WTF. I guess Kirk can't risk that happening.

In reminds me of 2012 when Vandenberg was terrible and the fans wanted change. Kirk played him every single snap that year. Presumably out of spite. If Padilla came in and threw a few nice passes the fans would rightfully think WTF. I guess Kirk can't risk that happening.

There's a good chance you can win the West with a 6-3 mark...he can't get over himself for one year?

Go Hawks

Nice, Walker, quite nice, Indeed

:cool:

I am still waiting for evidence that Brecht can consistently catch the balls thrown to him.

You gotta give it time. It took forever before it clicked with Andy Brodell. It took all the way up to the 06 Alamo bowl before the light bulb came on. I'm I doing the Ankeny, white guy comparison thing? Maybe a little bit, but let him get some reps first...let's see what this looks like in November and then make a call.

Blom went 1/2 as a kicker in game one. Kirk gave the back up a chance.
The Williams RB’a were ineffective in game one. Kirk gave two backups some time.
Why is he so resistant to do the same with Petras?

I am still waiting for evidence that Brecht can consistently catch the balls thrown to him.
My concerns exactly. A fast athlete with the measurables, but a receiver needs to receive the ball.
Learn to go get it and hold on to it!

My concerns exactly. A fast athlete with the measurables, but a receiver needs to receive the ball.
Learn to go get it and hold on to it!
The encouraging thing is he got open more than once. If Petras throws the ball over his left shoulder he catches a TD. That he can get separation is very encouraging. I can attest it was wet and cold, tough conditions to catch the ball running a full speed. It will come for him I'm sure. He will learn to lay out for those. He's a deep threat Iowa really needs.

Brecht is certainly an impressive athlete. More so than the other couple of guys that were filling in during the first two games (the local Iowa "walk ons"). We sure heard a bit of hype around those guys.. and that there were tough competitors, but sadly, we didn't really get to see it. Petras actually threw some really solid deep balls that our receivers didn't catch. Often, they would fall down while tracking the ball. To me, that says they just haven't adjusted to the speed of the game and don't quite have their feet under them.

Brecht looks the part: big, fast, physical. But I was disappointed in his lack of technique to go up and get the ball. He was flying down the field and putting himself in great spots, but he wasn't attacking the ball.. trying to let it fall into his hands. This is totally normal for a guy getting his first reps.

Blom went 1/2 as a kicker in game one. Kirk gave the back up a chance.
The Williams RB’a were ineffective in game one. Kirk gave two backups some time.
Why is he so resistant to do the same with Petras?

Because they spent all these years grooming him, I guess!

Kirk's post game quote:

"It was good to see the backup guys play well for a change. It’s not fair to these guys (the starters), but it has been a tradition here: Our backups go in there."

Except for QB....

The average guaranteed money for picks 1-5 in the MLB draft this year was $7.62M. Every single penny guaranteed whether you go directly to the show, or never make it out of A ball.

The median first round guaranteed money was $4.71M.

Brody Brecht made an ENORMOUS mistake in the long term by playing football. He's finding out that he ain't all that as a pitcher and he wouldn't have made the bigs...but he would've had all that cash had he just elected to try. But alas, he's 18, this is America, and can do what he wants.

40 year old Brody is gonna wish he played baseball, though.

The only way Nevada gets back in the game is if Iowa turns the ball over in the second half. One really good way to do that is to eff up a snap. The rain makes that even easier to do. It was risk aversion to leave Spencer in there.
It is not like letting Padilla hand the ball off is going to show Kirk up or show that he is better than Petras.

If it was dry and normal time (how much the rain delay mess with things??) I would care more about Labas not getting a chance to get out there in front of the crowd and throw a few.

Let's face it, if Alex really was the answer he would be out there already. Make Labas QB2 so he gets better practice reps.

Brecht was not a first round pick. He was slated somewhere around the 3rd round. He set a seven-figure price tag to be signed and no one drafted him. He likely could have had a six figure pay day. Who knows what NIL may net him at Iowa? Not that, but something. Low minor league ball lifestyle is pretty gritty. Given the stakes, his age, and doing what he loves, not sure the decision was an ENORMOUS mistake as suggested.

Brecht was not a first round pick. He was slated somewhere around the 3rd round. He set a seven-figure price tag to be signed and no one drafted him. He likely could have had a six figure pay day. Who knows what NIL may net him at Iowa? Not that, but something. Low minor league ball lifestyle is pretty gritty. Given the stakes, his age, and doing what he loves, not sure the decision was an ENORMOUS mistake as suggested.
A little bit of hyperbole from Fryiowa, eh?

The only way Nevada gets back in the game is if Iowa turns the ball over in the second half. One really good way to do that is to eff up a snap. The rain makes that even easier to do. It was risk aversion to leave Spencer in there.
It is not like letting Padilla hand the ball off is going to show Kirk up or show that he is better than Petras.

If it was dry and normal time (how much the rain delay mess with things??) I would care more about Labas not getting a chance to get out there in front of the crowd and throw a few.

Let's face it, if Alex really was the answer he would be out there already. Make Labas QB2 so he gets better practice reps.

Good point and I did think about trying to preserve the shutout, less risk, Padilla and Labas likely ice cold standing around for 7 hours, possible injury, no crowd, etc. etc.

Still, game reps for either, or a series for each, even if just to take game snaps.... you'd think they'd be stoked, especially Labas.

Wasn't really any risk to game, maybe to shutout.

You gotta give it time. It took forever before it clicked with Andy Brodell. It took all the way up to the 06 Alamo bowl before the light bulb came on. I'm I doing the Ankeny, white guy comparison thing? Maybe a little bit, but let him get some reps first...let's see what this looks like in November and then make a call.

Brodell was more of a speed-guy, I see Brecht as a Brandon Smith type. And Smith really struggled when he started at Iowa. And then he got good. And then we didn't have a QB that could get him the ball and squandered what should have been his best year.

I hope Brecht follows the Smith trajectory, minus that last season.

Latest posts