I really enjoyed this basketball season

Your take has some smell to it as well. There is a lot of luck in college football.

Read Phil Steele's publication sometime. He spends a lot of time talking about it.

It also is a big factor under the KenPom ratings.

To have a great record, you have to be very good and a little lucky.
The problem with your retort is that luck evens out over time. How many years do the Hawkeyes get to use the excuse that they are or were "better than their record?"

You and I both know it's one of the homer apologists' favorite rallying cries year after year...that the Hawks were better than what the record showed because of some series of unfortunate events.

Our luck must defy mathematics and physics, and be worse than everyone else's somehow?

The problem with your retort is that luck evens out over time. How many years do the Hawkeyes get to use the excuse that they are or were "better than their record?"

You and I both know it's one of the homer apologists' favorite rallying cries year after year...that the Hawks were better than what the record showed because of some series of unfortunate events.

Our luck must defy mathematics and physics, and be worse than everyone else's somehow?
I think 2015 Iowa football was much worse than their 12-0 record. They had an easy schedule and won all the close ones.

I think 2018 Iowa football was much better than their record. Say Wisconsin’s punt rolls harmlessly into the end zone instead of off an Iowa player, we likely win that game. Say Penn State player doesn’t break on that GL pass or he gets blocked, that ball goes for an incomplete pass. That’s 10-2 right there and a completely different outlook of a season.

I’m not sure I agree Iowa basketball this year was better than their record / seed, if someone was arguing that. Quite honestly they might have been kind of lucky to make the dance. They won a lot of close ones (two game winners) and for the most part got hammered in many of their losses against tournament teams.

At the end of the day as you said, the final results are really what matters.

A-Man to that. Season like huge roller coaster ride Fun but can a bit what? Who knows??? Last 20 minutes Hawk Players Mighty Tough.. Classic well almost finish. Again Players Tough.
Rutabaga!!! To almost ran green OfTHE for ThinkingSEDAN!!! Always Sedan.. ...But year is favor sockOf type TO Very??>? Must3 wrap white to date ofGiven, GIVEN the for do t o THE Stettle MIGHTY!!!

Now that the season is over, looking back on it, I really did enjoy this season. For the vast majority of the season the team played well, and are entertaining and enjoyable to watch. The last 2 weeks of the regular season sucked, but other than that, it was a fun ride. We made the NCAA tournament, won a game, and pushed one of the best teams in the country to OT.

I have been vocal of the fact I'm not a Fran fan. Yet he has gotten to the NCAA 4 of the last 6 years, the players are respectful and easy to root for, and as I said overall it was a very fun season of BB. After last season this was a breathe of fresh air, and hopefully they can build on it even more next year.

Hopefully this was the type of season that gets Fran and crew over the top and into the upper division year after year.

I really haven't heard that very much from the Kirk or the Iowa coaching staff. Kirk's favorite saying is "you get what you deserve." I haven't heard him talk about luck very much.

Perhaps some fans ("homers") say that Iowa is unlucky year after year. It is certainly possible. I certainly don't believe that.

My only point is that luck does play a factor, and yes it certainly does even out.

I would say that the 2015 team was a very lucky team to go 12-2.

I believe that the 2018 team was very unlucky to go 9-4.

Luck sometimes evens out and sometimes doesn't. Even if it always exactly evens out (which would be completely random and almost impossible) it's not like it evens out over a game so the winner is always the better team. Or evens out exactly over the course of a season so you always end up with the exact record you deserve (deserve isnt the right word but I cant think of a better one so I give up). Sometimes it would take years for luck to even remotely "even out". Maybe this year we had some bad luck to "even out" the luck we had in 2015. If that's the case, you know what it means? It means we were better than our record this year and worse than our record in 2015. Saying you are exactly what your record says is just another way of saying I cant see grey area for shit so I'm just going to not put any logical thought into the subject.

Rutabaga!!! To almost ran green OfTHE for ThinkingSEDAN!!! Always Sedan.. ...But year is favor sockOf type TO Very??>? Must3 wrap white to date ofGiven, GIVEN the for do t o THE Stettle MIGHTY!!!

Now that's some funny shit. How did you do that so well? I seriously laughed outloud for about 30 seconds.

I think 2015 Iowa football was much worse than their 12-0 record. They had an easy schedule and won all the close ones.

I think 2018 Iowa football was much better than their record. Say Wisconsin’s punt rolls harmlessly into the end zone instead of off an Iowa player, we likely win that game. Say Penn State player doesn’t break on that GL pass or he gets blocked, that ball goes for an incomplete pass. That’s 10-2 right there and a completely different outlook of a season.

I’m not sure I agree Iowa basketball this year was better than their record / seed, if someone was arguing that. Quite honestly they might have been kind of lucky to make the dance. They won a lot of close ones (two game winners) and for the most part got hammered in many of their losses against tournament teams.

At the end of the day as you said, the final results are really what matters.
We caught a lot of breaks 2015.

A 57 yard FG against Pitt to avoid overtime.

Stave's fumble on the goal line.

CJ being awarded a touchdown against Indiana when he fumbled before he flew across the goal line, but not conclusively enough to overturn the call on the field.

As for this year's basketball team, we saw some of their midseason luck even out in Maryland and Nebraska games. They probably ended up settling to what was their right full place in the standings.

Now that's some funny shit. How did you do that so well? I seriously laughed outloud for about 30 seconds.
I'm here all week, folks.

Actually, I do that quite a bit. @earlkoppelman is 100% shitfaced every morning by 8:00 AM Pacific time. He slams half priced Rolling Rock in a bar called Dave's Place in Eureka, CA. I make fun of him on behalf of his liver. And because he's lived in America for over 70 years and hasn't mustered kindergarten English.

Last edited:
Well played. Post of the day[/QU
I'm here all week, folks.

Actually, I do that quite a bit. @earlkoppelman is 100% shitfaced every morning by 8:00 AM western time. He slams half priced Rolling Rock in a bar called Dave's Place in Eureka, CA. I make fun of him on behalf of his liver. And because he's lived in America for over 70 years and hasn't mustered kindergarten English.
Its 'mastered' not MUSTARD no? Old Hawkeye Hippies have Love in their hearts and per the Duke: A bottle in each hand. Functional huh? Last 2 seasons both like a warm beer,just does not cut it.Always the Best to true fans who want the extra win or 2 Hawk Players Tough. Almost a EPIC CLASSIC but came up short.

Its 'mastered' not MUSTARD no? Old Hawkeye Hippies have Love in their hearts and per the Duke: A bottle in each hand. Functional huh? Last 2 seasons both like a warm beer,just does not cut it.Always the Best to true fans who want the extra win or 2 Hawk Players Tough. Almost a EPIC CLASSIC but came up short.
Byecycle s?? YES!! Have very for To framew.SILVER, no?? Blue to Spend the over have but Cieling, but Power! POWER!!SHirt is table, But tabel not for Straw Plance.in.the over and OVER, NW!! Grass brings.around For THESE??yes !O

Byecycle s?? YES!! Have very for To framew.SILVER, no?? Blue to Spend the over have but Cieling, but Power! POWER!!SHirt is table, But tabel not for Straw Plance.in.the over and OVER, NW!! Grass brings.around For THESE??yes !O
Fair enough. Go Hawks Yes.

Latest posts