I really dislike NFL OT rules.

If you don't like football, it probably *is* "exciting".

This was a pointless response. How about you elaborate as to why you prefer the NFL's OT instead of providing stupid responses? I know it's hard for you Twill, but give it a shot.

Dont blame the NFL OT rules because Pitt laid an epic egg. If they had played defense like the #1 team in the league that wouldve been very interesting.

You know what I find boring? When in college OT a team turns it over or misses a FG and the other team kicks the game winner on their 2nd play just because they were lucky enough to win the coin flip and start on d

When you give up an 80 yard TD pass to Tim Tebow you don't deserve to win, but you won't change my mind that you don't at least deserve one chance. I don't like the Steelers and won't lose any sleep over their loss, but on a matter of principle both teams should get a shot IMO.

Edit: And at least in your college scenario the team that turned it over had an offensive possession. They failed, and the other team capitalized.

This was a pointless response. How about you elaborate as to why you prefer the NFL's OT instead of providing stupid responses? I know it's hard for you Twill, but give it a shot.

College overtime isn't really football. Giving teams the ball at the 25-yard line? They might as well have the players do pushups instead and see who can get the most. You can't whine about the NFL's system and defend that crap.

When you give up an 80 yard TD pass to Tim Tebow you don't deserve to win, but you won't change my mind that you don't at least deserve one chance. I don't like the Steelers and won't lose any sleep over their loss, but on a matter of principle both teams should get a shot IMO.

Both teams have a shot in the NFL, especially now that they've wussified it for the playoffs. Defense is still part of the game, in case you didn't know.

Dont blame the NFL OT rules because Pitt laid an epic egg. If they had played defense like the #1 team in the league that wouldve been very interesting. You know what I find boring? When in college OT a team turns it over or misses a FG and the other team kicks the game winner on their 2nd play just because they were lucky enough to win the coin flip and start on d
When you give up an 80 yard TD pass to Tim Tebow you don't deserve to win, but you won't change my mind that you don't at least deserve one chance. I don't like the Steelers and won't lose any sleep over their loss, but on a matter of principle both teams should get a shot IMO.Edit: And at least in your college scenario the team that turned it over had an offensive possession. They failed, and the other team capitalized.

This.

College overtime isn't really football. Giving teams the ball at the 25-yard line? They might as well have the players do pushups instead and see who can get the most. You can't whine about the NFL's system and defend that crap.

Then what is it? Both teams have the same rules and it is still football. And it is pretty exciting or did you not see the MSU/Georgia game?

Both teams have a shot in the NFL, especially now that they've wussified it for the playoffs. Defense is still part of the game, in case you didn't know.

No, both teams don't have a shot in case you didn't watch tonight's game. I do appreciate you pointing out that defense is still a part of the game. However, so is offense. It's hardly wussified at all. It's pretty much still the same thing as before. There's a reason the large majority of people on ESPN voted that they don't like the NFL's OT rules.

I don't mind either overtime. One thing about the NFL OT is that the defense does have the opportunity to make a stop and if it's a three and out it will likely be with better field positioning than the team who kicked. They also could intercept a pass and either return it for a touchdown or kick a field goal on the next play without the offense doing a thing.

Obviously it's not as big of an advantage as getting the ball first but an opportunistic defense can get somewhat of an advantage if they do there job and make a stop. An offense going 40-50 yards to get into field goal range isn't the easiest thing to do either.

How do you feel about college overtime, then?

I think it's totally gimmicky and is in a lot of cases a blatant unfair advantage for the offenses, penalizing the more stout defenses.

I don't believe I said anywhere that college OT was ideal.

Just kick off like its the start of the "third half" and ensure both teams get the ball.

Even taking the college OT format and making teams start on their own 25 or 30 would be ok, but that's still overthinking for the sake of overthinking. Doesn't need to be that difficult.

Offense is part of the game too.

It would be as dumb as declaring a baseball game over if somebody hits a leadoff home run in the top of the 10th. You're playing two different games at that point and that's ridiculous.

Offense is part of the game too.

It would be as dumb as declaring a baseball game over if somebody hits a leadoff home run in the top of the 10th. You're playing two different games at that point and that's ridiculous.

That's a somewhat fair analogy however it's not quite an equal comparison because in baseball, the defense can not take the ball and do anything positive with it. In football you can flip field position or even score.

That's not untrue. Just because the NFL's OT is a billion times better than college's doesn't mean it's perfect.

College's overtime is like starting the tenth inning with a runner on third base and starting every batter with a 3-0 count.

That's not untrue. Just because the NFL's OT is a billion times better than college's doesn't mean it's perfect.

College's overtime is like starting the tenth inning with a runner on third base and starting every batter with a 3-0 count.

I agree. They both are not representative to the first 60 minutes of football those days.

I think it's totally gimmicky and is in a lot of cases a blatant unfair advantage for the offenses, penalizing the more stout defenses.

I don't believe I said anywhere that college OT was ideal.

Just kick off like its the start of the "third half" and ensure both teams get the ball.

Even taking the college OT format and making teams start on their own 25 or 30 would be ok, but that's still overthinking for the sake of overthinking. Doesn't need to be that difficult.

I agree. College OT is gimicky, but it's better than NFL OT by a mile. I do agree that OT for both college and NFL should be just like starting a third half. Kick off like normal, and make sure both teams get the ball at least once. Or just shorten the OT period to, say, 10 minutes, and play out the 10 minutes. Whoever is ahead wins. Or, if it's tied THEN go to sudden death in the next OT period.

Or just shorten the OT period to, say, 10 minutes, and play out the 10 minutes. Whoever is ahead wins. Or, if it's tied THEN go to sudden death in the next OT period.

Why is sudden-death okay at that point? Why not another 10-minute overtime period, *then* go to sudden death. Or *two more* 10-minute periods before sudden death?

Why is sudden-death okay at that point? Why not another 10-minute overtime period, *then* go to sudden death. Or *two more* 10-minute periods before sudden death?

Both teams would have had a chance to win, and they both would have failed if the game was still tied. At that point it would make more sense to go to sudden death. You still haven't provided any reasoning for why NFL OT rules are better by a mile. Instead of smart-*** responses you should back-up your opinion instead of being a d-bag about other people's opinions.

Latest posts