I....O....W....A vs O....H....I....O

MelroseHawkins

Ok. Who started it first? Does Iowa get the credit? I hear OH St. fans doing it in their stadium and at various other times but don't recall them doing it years ago but have never gone to a game at OH St.

Just wondering.

I don't have a clue however doing a small amount of research onYoutube The earliest video shows OSU did chant in 2008 and Iowa earliest Video is 2007 against Syracuse.

I remember doing this cheer in the 90s at Kinnick. Sat with my Dad in the "Ayyyyyyyyy" section.

totally agree this cheer in kinnick is 20-30 years old at least. If someone wants to find out there must be an Iowa Cheerleaders hall of fame or organization that has this info.

I best remember whooping Wisky's arse in 04, and that cheer coming through LOUD and clear over the radio that night.

O-H...I-O started in 1942, by sailors during WW2. One of them joined the cheerleading squad after the war, and it got shortened from O-H-I-O-S-T-A-T-E to O-H, I-O in 1947. http://www.columbusalive.com/content/stories/2014/08/28/17-ohio-state-traditions-that-probably-wont-get-anyone-fired-----and-the-stories-behind-them.html (tradition #12)

I don't know when I-O-W-A started, but I love hearing it after a commercial break, knowing it started after the score before the commercial break.
But they get pissy when you call them "Ohio"

Which I go out of the way to do

Lol sure thing and Florida hadn't been doing it for years.

Did you know that after the Gators beat the Hawkeyes in the 1983 Gator Bowl, Florida finished 10th in the polls. It was the first time the Florida Gators EVER finished in the top ten.

Iowa already had a NC. Iowa had had 6 seasons before that where they finished in the top ten. Think about that. maybe we stole the cheer. But Iowa had a better football pedigree, even after coming off of 17 losing seasons, than Florida at one point.

Iowa has 5 NCs that it doesn't even take credit for. Two of them for undefeated seasons, and one where four committees awarded it to them that they don't count.

It frustrates me when people say it could never happen here, because once upon a time, when there were even fewer schools competing for recruits, and ote schollies per school, it happened 5 times.

And don't ell me ancient history doesn't count - OSU, Alabama, Nebraska, and ND count all their ancient NCs. we should too.

Last edited:

Latest posts