I know that was a spring game but

longtimer

that was as ugly an offensive performance that I have seen. Our QBs were really bad. I think Weigers has completed more passes to the defense in the last 2 spring games than he has to his receivers, and Stanley really struggled as well. We knew we had challenges at the receiver position and they did nothing to alter that perception. Even our offensive line seemed to struggle.
I think young Ferentz has his hands full. Somebody tell us different. As I said this was a spring game but it sure wasnt very inspiring

that was as ugly an offensive performance that I have seen. Our QBs were really bad. I think Weigers has completed more passes to the defense in the last 2 spring games than he has to his receivers, and Stanley really struggled as well. We knew we had challenges at the receiver position and they did nothing to alter that perception. Even our offensive line seemed to struggle.
I think young Ferentz has his hands full. Somebody tell us different. As I said this was a spring game but it sure wasnt very inspiring
Stanley didn't look that bad. His targets had several drops. WRs appear to have a ways to go. Toren Young looked pretty good. Run blocking looked pretty crappy the 1st half.

I think Iowa's offense has looked good exactly one spring I can recall...2002. Given that they are changing the playbook and terminology this year, and so inexperienced at WR...not surprising...not good, either

not going to get paranoid yet, let's see what the rumor mill gives us in mid August. If the Wyoming game is a trainwreck then it will be a time to panic.

Iowa will have 7.5 wins. + or - 1

prognosticator.jpg

Last edited:

It looked to me like in some cases receivers were not running proper routes based on discussions on sideline. Also how many drops were there....... quite a few. With it being on TV you knew this was going to be the most basic stuff ever, and it was.

Also need to remember this offense is based on getting the timing down between the QB and the receivers. One thing very obvious was QBs will be getting the ball out in many cases before the receiver has even turned to look back. Timing was not there yet.

I would bet one or more of the freshman receivers coming in will see some significant playing time.

I think Iowa's offense has looked good exactly one spring I can recall...2002. Given that they are changing the playbook and terminology this year, and so inexperienced at WR...not surprising...not good, either

And this is the major issue with the program and has been for about 20 years. Regardless of experience, talent level, etc the offense struggles in general.

I know a lot of people are concerned at this point but really this team is no different than any other Iowa teams with the exception of 2001 & 2002. They'll go as far as the the Defense and special teams can carry them.

No talent at the WR position.

Well, for one the system is changing in what is being asked of the QB and Receivers. If it is more timing based with defined routes, one way that gets better is through practice and the reality is they have had 15 practices. Needs more time. Hopefully QBs and receivers work together over the summer. Receivers definitely should not be dropping balls. Some bad drops last night.

Well, for one the system is changing in what is being asked of the QB and Receivers. If it is more timing based with defined routes, one way that gets better is through practice and the reality is they have had 15 practices. Needs more time. Hopefully QBs and receivers work together over the summer. Receivers definitely should not be dropping balls. Some bad drops last night.
I'm expecting a ton of Vandeburg, Easley, and a mix of tight ends. The rest of the receivers have a ways to go. Fingers crossed that one of the freshman receivers surprise...

I was really impressed with Toren Young at both the Valley practice and now in the spring game. Appears he can catch the ball, too.

Tight ends didn't look to bad. Lining Noah Fant as a wideout at this point seems like a good idea. We have a lot of good tight ends. Hockenson looked good last night. We are set well at running back after Wadley leaves with TNT, I know it's corny, Toren and Toks. I think we'll improve a lot before the the games start this fall. Not sure what our record will be. Tough schedule this year.

Tight ends didn't look to bad. Lining Noah Fant as a wideout at this point seems like a good idea. We have a lot of good tight ends. Hockenson looked good last night. We are set well at running back after Wadley leaves with TNT, I know it's corny, Toren and Toks. I think we'll improve a lot before the the games start this fall. Not sure what our record will be. Tough schedule this year.

TNT.......Yeah, it is a little corny.;)

The question was "why has our passing game dropped off so bad the last couple of years". My response wasn't in relation to this one spring game.

Latest posts