I just realized why I hate the "That's Football" comment

pmchawk

It is a defeatist attitude. It is just accepting what the person believes in their own mind to be true, which doesn't make it reality. And by accepting that, they just take what they can get rather then fighting for something more, something better. Hayden didn't accept the status quo, he changed the culture because accepting the status quo, as we had for the previous 20+ years is poison, and anyone accepting the status quo is poison.

I fear for our program, I fear Kirk doesn't see that we are starting to circle the drain, or worse that he sees it as "that's football".

The phrase in its purest form, is true. The same could be applied to anything someone does, whether done successfully or not. Iowa beats someone, that's football, too. However, many fans hear those words in the context in which you state it, and it's not what we want to hear. People not only want their coach to be doing everything in his power to reverse the spin of the globe, and not accept it until it's happened, but they want to hear about it as well. Cold objectivity from the coach is not welcome, at least not in public statements when your team is losing, badly.

However, objectivity is what we get then, as now - "that's football" is today's "we're not sexy". It's fun when you're No. 8 in the country, lil' ol' Iowa beating teams by being coldly proficient. Grab the lunch bucket, kick some azz, go home and don't talk about it. It ain't much fun when our team is getting its azz kicked. That's football. That's Ferentz. Nothing that some big, fast, mean MF'ers on the line and some speed in the skill positions can't cure.

Maybe it's true, but people want to see a pizzed off coach after we lose (ala Haden's if I see somebody smiling after we lose I'm gonna punch them in the mouth). A non-chalant, "That's Football" gives off a whatever happens is going to happen attitude. As a coach and player, you're "paid" to affect that outcome to your favor not sit back and sing Que Sera Sera.

Saw interview on the news tonight with JVB. Was saying something to this effect "when you play those good teams like Nebraska, you just swing away, knowing the odds are against you". Wow! It really seems Iowa has taken on the attitude of a lower tier B1G team now. Wasn't that long ago that it was Ohio State and Michigan and then Iowa was right there in the discussion. Starts with the guy at the top.

The phrase in its purest form, is true. The same could be applied to anything someone does, whether done successfully or not. Iowa beats someone, that's football, too. However, many fans hear those words in the context in which you state it, and it's not what we want to hear. People not only want their coach to be doing everything in his power to reverse the spin of the globe, and not accept it until it's happened, but they want to hear about it as well. Cold objectivity from the coach is not welcome, at least not in public statements when your team is losing, badly.

However, objectivity is what we get then, as now - "that's football" is today's "we're not sexy". It's fun when you're No. 8 in the country, lil' ol' Iowa beating teams by being coldly proficient. Grab the lunch bucket, kick some azz, go home and don't talk about it. It ain't much fun when our team is getting its azz kicked. That's football. That's Ferentz. Nothing that some big, fast, mean MF'ers on the line and some speed in the skill positions can't cure.

Dude, what are you even talking about?

The quote, I believe, is after Iowa lost to Minnesota for the second consecutive year. Both because of an onside kick that Iowa wasn't prepared for in an obvious onside kick situation.

People don't have a problem with objectivity, it's that he was basically saying "Well, it's not MY fault we weren't prepared".