I hope MacMillan and Sherff

lightning1

start at the Guard spots, to open the season. No offense to Gettis but he hasnt been healthy since he stepped foot on campus and every Big10 opponent we play is lining up with 300 lb guys at both DT spots.
It could be tough sledding for interior linemen this season.

There is no way (barring injury) that Gettis does not start. He's a damn good lineman. His ONLY problem has been staying healthy. Well, a coach isn't about to sit a guy who is a top-flight player when healthy, just because said player MIGHT get hurt. If he's one of our top 5 guys when healthy, then he should start as long for as long as he stays that way.

agree with tm. Gettis will start as long as he's healthy and should start. he's a very good lineman IMO.

MacMillan has not been here as long but he hasnt stayed healthy either.

Gettis may not be as big as you like but he has performed when in game and Kirk thinks highly of him. I think KF said last year Gettis could be one of best OGs in the Big Ten. He will be a starter and hopefully will avoid injury in his senior year.

MacMillan has not been here as long but he hasnt stayed healthy either.

Gettis may not be as big as you like but he has performed when in game and Kirk thinks highly of him. I think KF said last year Gettis could be one of best OGs in the Big Ten. He will be a starter and hopefully will avoid injury in his senior year.

This. Injuries can be a result of a freak play or lack of durability,so who knows? Sherff is not proven to be durable yet,so who knows about his ability to stay injury-free. You play the best guy,who is probably Gettis,based on KF's assessment last year,and when or if he gets hurt,then you play the next best guy. A lot of injuries are just bad luck,getting your legs rolled up,or hit from the side...everyone is vulnerable in the fray.

Talked to someone who knows Gettis's girlfriend...she said he feels heavier. Her guess was that he was around 290, give or take a pound or two. She used to guess weights at the State Fair so I'm going to take her word for it.

290 is big enough for a guard spot. Have you noticed how athletic this o-line is going to be with the Zus, Reiff, Ferentz, Sherff, and Gettis. These guys are going to be fun to watch as they will get after it at the line of scrimmage and downfield. Can't wait to watch those late downfield hits at the end of running plays. Nothing spooks DB's more than when they get tattooed at the end of a play. CAn

Let me see if I get the OP's logic- if somebody was hurt a lot in the past they shouldn't be a starter in the present/future because of past injuries and not current health/performance. I wonder if the OP knows with logic like that that Pat Angered never would have started in his career here and Bob Sanders never would have with the colts. Hell, Tony Moeaki would have been summarily dismissed from the team with logic like that.

Let me see if I get the OP's logic- if somebody was hurt a lot in the past they shouldn't be a starter in the present/future because of past injuries and not current health/performance. I wonder if the OP knows with logic like that that Pat Angered never would have started in his career here and Bob Sanders never would have with the colts. Hell, Tony Moeaki would have been summarily dismissed from the team with logic like that.

Let me help you out with the OPs logic.
Gettis cant stay healthy.
Gettis will be facing the biggest collection of DTs, consecutively, that he has ever faced.
I would rather a couple of LARGER o-linemen win the spots.

Let me help you out with another problem you seem to have. DONT waste your time trying to decipher someone else's logic. You suck at it.

Talked to someone who knows Gettis's girlfriend...she said he feels heavier. Her guess was that he was around 290, give or take a pound or two. She used to guess weights at the State Fair so I'm going to take her word for it.

290 is big enough for a guard spot. Have you noticed how athletic this o-line is going to be with the Zus, Reiff, Ferentz, Sherff, and Gettis. These guys are going to be fun to watch as they will get after it at the line of scrimmage and downfield. Can't wait to watch those late downfield hits at the end of running plays. Nothing spooks DB's more than when they get tattooed at the end of a play. CAn

Did someone just play the "he feels heavy when he ****s me card"?

Gettis will be facing the biggest collection of DTs, consecutively, that he has ever faced.

Let me help you out with another problem you seem to have. DONT waste your time trying to decipher someone else's logic. You suck at it.

Aww poor guy is sad that his reasoning is flawed and somebody pointed it out. It'll be okay buddy, get 'em next time.

Aww poor guy is sad that his reasoning is flawed and somebody pointed it out. It'll be okay buddy, get 'em next time.

Sticking up for your significant other, oif?
Thats so sweet. Let me know if there are any other special friends
that you have on this forum and I will be sure to take it easy on them.;)

Let me help you with some logic ....

- Ferentz has repeated said VERY positive things about Gettis
- Fellow teammates have remarked about how exceptionally explosive Gettis is off the ball
- Iowa has its linemen do plenty of combo-blocks ... thus, interior linemen don't necessarily need GREAT size
- As another poster indicated, Gettis was in the 280s in '10. It's reasonable to assume that he could legitimately be in the territory of 290 in '11. That is a perfectly good size for an Iowa OG to have.
- Gettis suffered from a high ankle sprain in '10. Such injuries naturally "linger" ... thus, the issue isn't that Gettis "can't stay healthy" ... but rather that Gettis was unfortunate enough to get hit by a rather biotchy injury.
- When Gettis WAS playing, he was playing at QUITE A HIGH LEVEL.

And, when you place all of the above points together ... that suggests that Gettis will likely be well-positioned to earn a starting OG spot come this fall.

However, has you RIGHTLY point out ... Iowa is still in a pretty good spot at OG. We still have high-quality guys like Scherff and MacMillan who can also play the OG spot. Furthermore, Boffeli is also a guy who is capable of playing on the interior OL at a pretty high level.

Thus, should Gettis get hit by an injury (again) ... it appears that Iowa could possibly have the sort of depth to absorb such an injury.

Latest posts