I hope I am wrong . . .

No need to hope...you are indeed wrong. Wegher is a capable back first and foremost. Secondly, Stanzi has looked above head and shoulders better than he did early in the season. Much like Drew Tate faced with a depelted HB unit, Stanzi will step and control the game with the pass. B-weg is a 100 yard back (he has already proven that), I think he will step up nicely. My only concern is Paki holding on to the ball.

We will be fine. Time for the O-Line and Stanzi to step up, which I think they will. Also very confidient in Wegher too.

Jon, can you start a wet blanket Hawkeye Nation forum?

Dont worry about this week - if you are going to worry i would worry about NW. We will beat Ind without much stress

I think we come out in the spread like we did the first few games. Let the pass open up the run. Hopefully STanzi can connect a few and move the chains, which would take an enormous amount of pressure off of the backs.

I think we come out in the spread like we did the first few games. Let the pass open up the run. Hopefully STanzi can connect a few and move the chains, which would take an enormous amount of pressure off of the backs.

agreed...I wouldnt be supisred to see a lot of 4 wide reciever sets...

Kirk Ferentz football has always been "find a way". We have
proven that this year most of all.

We'll "find a way"!!

The only thing that hurts is the backup now, Paki may be ok for about 4 carries a game, but we need someone who can get 10 to 15 a game and hold onto the ball in order to give Wegher a breather as he'll be handling 20+ carries.......

I know that the "cool" thing to do these days is to bash O'Keefe, but think back to 2004. We lost at ASU and Michigan due to some defensive letdowns and then didn't lose again. And that was without our top 5 running backs and a group of receivers that was good, but nowhere near as talented as this group. If we lose Wegher, that 2004 playbook comes back out and you'll see a steady diet of bubble screens, jailbreak screens and quick outs to make up for the lack of a running attack. Ken's put the bubble screen away because it has a propensity to score too fast and turn the field back over to the defense without an adequate rest, but if necessity dictates that we have to run 6 screens a game to Sandeman, get ready to yell because the I-O-W-A chant will be starting soon. Ken's intentionally kept the playbook closed this year because he's worried about the defense being on the field too long, if he opens it up, things are going to get downright ugly for our competition.

But I think this team is in serious trouble without A-Rob.

calm-down.jpg

We were in trouble this summer when we lost Jewel, and lost Bernstein. Then we were in trouble without Calloway, and an injured Vandervelde. Then we lost Bulaga and Moeaki and we were in trouble. Now we are in trouble losing A-Rob, and Dace.

This team has proven that they can pick each other up, and do what needs to be done to win.

We were in trouble this summer when we lost Jewel, and lost Bernstein. Then we were in trouble without Calloway, and an injured Vandervelde. Then we lost Bulaga and Moeaki and we were in trouble. Now we are in trouble losing A-Rob, and Dace.

This team has proven that they can pick each other up, and do what needs to be done to win.

Yeah, this is what I have been noticing as well. After beating PSU and Arizona without Bulaga and Tony Mo you would have thought the sky is falling crowd would have gone away for the year.

I know that the "cool" thing to do these days is to bash O'Keefe, but think back to 2004. We lost at ASU and Michigan due to some defensive letdowns and then didn't lose again. And that was without our top 5 running backs and a group of receivers that was good, but nowhere near as talented as this group. If we lose Wegher, that 2004 playbook comes back out and you'll see a steady diet of bubble screens, jailbreak screens and quick outs to make up for the lack of a running attack. Ken's put the bubble screen away because it has a propensity to score too fast and turn the field back over to the defense without an adequate rest, but if necessity dictates that we have to run 6 screens a game to Sandeman, get ready to yell because the I-O-W-A chant will be starting soon. Ken's intentionally kept the playbook closed this year because he's worried about the defense being on the field too long, if he opens it up, things are going to get downright ugly for our competition.

LOL.

I assume you aren't being serious...

With all due respect, have to disagree here.

This Hawkeye team in particular is not a one man team. It may hurt some, but so did Jewell Hampton, Moeaki, Bulaga and now Richardson being our for different periods, if not the season.

This is a special team, most if not all Hawk teams are, but this one really seems to pick each other up when a teammate is down.

Who knows, maybe Iowa will do some different things on offense to protect BW and maybe we'll see them gel more then they have so far this season.

The glass if half full for this team no matter what. To bad the some of us, including me at times, can't follow with the same attitude.

I think our defense is in a groove. Stanzi is playing very well. We will definitely miss ARob and Dace, but this team has too many good things going on right now to be stopped.

I think they'll get a lift from being "back in black" again, as well.

Latest posts