I haven't felt this hopeless since...

We have a real shortage of offensive talent at every position.
Thats on Brian and Kirk.

YOU NAILED IT. this is the biggest issue in my opinion. We've seen the scheme deliver 8 or 9 or 10 wins, the X and O part is usually ok, but this is a strategic failure and that should cost someone their job

Since Kirk has decided not to recruit the type of qb that came 2nd in heisman in 02. How have we not had another Brad Banks type qb in that span?

Since Kirk has decided not to recruit the type of qb that came 2nd in heisman in 02. How have we not had another Brad Banks type qb in that span?
Good question. If Drew Tate were an upperclassmen in '04 he would have gotten serious Heisman consideration based on how he played in November.

It they waited until after the bowl season was co pleted to name the Heisman winner he would REALLY have gotten considerstion.

Since 2012, I remember about half way through and I didn't see another win on the schedule. I was right. Then I lowered my expectations.
Losing Brandon Scherff and another lineman for the season on one offensive series didn't help. That was the clear turning point of that season.

Good question. If Drew Tate were an upperclassmen in '04 he would have gotten serious Heisman consideration based on how he played in November.

It they waited until after the bowl season was co pleted to name the Heisman winner he would REALLY have gotten considerstion.
Just mobility at that position has consistently been missing even though this offense has looked it’s best when it has had just that.

This feels different to me. And now transfer portal changes thigs...things.

Mix in his age. I know he years in his contract.
But he could, in theory, decide to hang it up at any time too. In 3 years he'll be 70.

Kids looking to play for 4 years (or more) will become increasingly gunshy..

I'm actually feeling better after this game the D got their props and we got a QB change. Hopefully Kirk doesn't pull a "See we were right" bullshit because Padilla struggled. He still played better I thought than Petras. Those two ints. just finished him for me. A third year starter making those kind of mistakes. I would rather start Joey because he might make the same mistake but he might learn from it.
And the fumble

YOU NAILED IT. this is the biggest issue in my opinion. We've seen the scheme deliver 8 or 9 or 10 wins, the X and O part is usually ok, but this is a strategic failure and that should cost someone their job
Ding, ding, ding.....we have a winner!

Good post

I was an Iowa student during the Lauterbur / Commings years. We had extremely low expectations. We knew in advance we would not be competitive with the likes of Ohio State or Michigan. We did look forward to the Northwestern game because it was one of the few teams we were competitive with and a game we might win.
I'm glad those dark days of Iowa football are behind us.

Last edited:
This is a great question. We see dual threat QBs dominating college and NFL games every week.

To me, if Iowa had some kind, any kind, of X factor, it might change things just enough. But no.

The only way Iowa's current scheme works is with a dominant O line, and a solid ability to run the ball. Without it, teams pin their ears back and put everyone near the LOS. UGLY.

Latest posts