I have to Vent

briankaldenberg

First of all to all of you delusional people saying "We'll never be great" or "When will we fire Ferentz"... Seriosly...

We might never win a national championship, but things can definately get much much worse. This program has tons more room to get worse than it does to get better. We are lucky to have a staff that takes us to January bowls, has a football team that competes very hard in almost every game.
Things could get much worse. Ferentz is a perfect fit for Iowa and I don't think there's too many people in college football who could do a better job at Iowa.

If we can replicate from 2010 to 2019...and have some average years like we've had this decad...e then sign me up. 90% of BCS schools would sign up for what we've done over the last decade.

Wisconsin... they played well. They made plays when they needed them and their coach rolled the dice when he needed to. When you a play a good team if they don't make too many mistakes then you better play flawless yourself if you want to win.

We played very good too. But it comes down to a few special teams mishaps and our defense was not able to shut down their offense like we've become acustomed to.

Finally, absolutely inexcusable clock management at the end. I don't understand how someone paid $3M can't make what is a logical routine decision. You spike the ball and leave yourself 9 seconds with a timeout. I'm super ****** about that because we've seen it before and we were bailed out by poor clock management in the Capitol One Bowl. There is not excuse for such agregious clock manage. It was utter stupidity.

But the last play of the game is just one of many reasons we lost. One play doesn't lose or win a football game folks.

Last edited:
One play doesn't win games. That's true, but sometimes one FINAL play DOES win games. Ask the Giants and Patriots, or the Steelers and Cardinals. And also, one play CAN be a crucial turning point in a contest.

First of all to all of you delusional people saying "We'll never be great" or "When will we fire Ferentz"... Seriosly...

We might never win a national championship, but things can definately get much much worse. This program has tons more room to get worse than it does to get better. We are lucky to have a staff that takes us to January bowls, has a football team that competes very hard in almost every game.
Things could get much worse. Ferentz is a perfect fit for Iowa and I don't think there's too many people in college football who could do a better job at Iowa.

If we can replicate from 2010 to 2019...and have some average years like we've had this decad...e then sign me up. 90% of BCS schools would sign up for what we've done over the last decade.

Wisconsin... they played well. They made plays when they needed them and their coach rolled the dice when he needed to. When you a play a good team if they don't make too many mistakes then you better play flawless yourself if you want to win.

We played very good too. But it comes down to a few special teams mishaps and our defense was not able to shut down their offense like we've become acustomed to.

Finally, absolutely inexcusable clock management at the end. I don't understand how someone paid $3M can't make what is a logical routine decision. You spike the ball and leave yourself 9 seconds with a timeout. I'm super ****** about that because we've seen it before and we were bailed out by poor clock management in the Capitol One Bowl. There is not excuse for such agregious clock manage. It was utter stupidity.

But the last play of the game is just one of many reasons we lost. One play doesn't lose or win a football game folks.

Yes, that may be true, but.....
Stanzi spikes the ball, it is second and 10 you throw to Reisner over the middle for 12 to 15 yards, he tackles himself and you call that last time out. Then, you give Meyer a chance. If he kicks it through, Iowa is brilliant in their comeback and we are all partying right now. They would have had a chance, that clock management gave them only one sideline play option.

THANK YOU!

I know a lot of the people posting are trolls, and other folks need to blow off some steam, but I think everyone could use a little perspective. There is a difference between not going to the national championship game and being terrible.

Think about it this way: we are at the point where we literally expect to win EVERY GAME. This is a good thing and it is a sign of how far the team has come. But it's pretty freaking tough to pull off, and you have to have some perspective when Iowa drops a game. Does everyone realize that there are 118 teams every year that DON'T play for the national championship. Do they all suck? Ohio State lost to this same team, a lot worse than we did. Florida has also lost twice and last I checked they are pretty good. It's not the end of the world, and losing today doesn't say anything about "the state of the program" other than that they didn't get it done against a very good but very beatable Wisconsin team.

First, you can't spike the ball when you're in the shotgun like Ricky was. Second, if the call was to spike it after Ricky got the first on the QB sneak, the coaches should have told him that before he went out on the field for the 4th down play.

I mean, they called timeout right before the 4th down play. Knowing you only have one timeout at that point, you'd think that someone would relay to Ricky what the play is if you get the first down.

That didn't happen.

Even the players knew they had to spike it, they were just waiting on the call...

The call for what? to spike it? You don't make the call from the sidelines. My guess, unless someone has heard otherwise, is that they were planning on spiking it, but saw that Wisconsin wasn't ready and thought they'd surprise them by actually running a play.

The call for what? to spike it? You don't make the call from the sidelines. My guess, unless someone has heard otherwise, is that they were planning on spiking it, but saw that Wisconsin wasn't ready and thought they'd surprise them by actually running a play.

90% of the people on here knows a spike was in order so get off my dick **** wad.

90% of the people on here knows a spike was in order so get off my dick **** wad.

Sure a spike was in order, but the coaches saw something else, last minute. You blame the coaches for being conservative, but when there's a legitimate chance to be aggressive and go for it big, you complain too. Back to the elementary name calling I see:rolleyes:

Also - one more vent.... The fake punt with 5:50 left. No way should we have even cared about the return on that punt. The fact that we didn't even appear to be suspisious of a fake was very concerning to me.

I loved the balls by Beilema though. That's what you call playing to win on the road.

Sure a spike was in order, but the coaches saw something else, last minute. You blame the coaches for being conservative, but when there's a legitimate chance to be aggressive and go for it big, you complain too. Back to the elementary name calling I see:rolleyes:

They saw something else?? A Timeout? You started the name calling DB.

Why not?
A spike is a spike. Incomplete pass either way.

I have no idea; I just know that's what Podolak said while Iowa was in that last timeout. I assume he's right, but I don't really know.

Either way, it was ****ed up from the very beginning.

Also - one more vent.... The fake punt with 5:50 left. No way should we have even cared about the return on that punt. The fact that we didn't even appear to be suspisious of a fake was very concerning to me.

I loved the balls by Beilema though. That's what you call playing to win on the road.

KF admitted they thought they could run a fake there. More reason to question the call playing under pressure.

So.
You can still spike the ball from the shotgun.

Why would you do that? When you spike it under center, it's all ready a 1-yard loss. Why would you spike it from the shotgun and take a five yard loss?

That Ricky was in the shotgun at all indicates that nobody on the coaching staff told him what to do after the first down play.

Latest posts