I have to believe BK is now in line to be head coach

hawkinn3

And I also don't think he or KF want him to wait until the end of KF's contract.

It's reasonable to assume Kirk steps down in the next few years. Mostly because if BF is successful he'll get other opportunities. If he's not, KF would want to make him HC before he's cheap enough to fire.

Agree 100% with this theory. Hopefully we will string together a few good seasons before taking over.

8 wins with two wins over then #2 and then #15 is a good season!!

Burger King? That dude is creepy but if he can coach football then ok....
200.gif

I think people were theorizing that Brian would take over for Kirk down the line. With him being promoted to OC this year, I think it's a near certainty. Really only way he doesn't get a crack at HC is if the team finishes 5-7 wins for the next few years with a terrible offense. If Iowa goes 8+ wins for a couple seasons, and the offense is good, he's probably going to get a chance once KF's next contract ends.

If Iowa wins the B1G and/or wins NY6 game and/or makes the CFP, I think KF will step down early and hand it over to BF.

Why do you guys all think that KF will want to step down? I know a lot of 60 and 70 yo with much better energy and shape than some of you 30/40 yo dudes. Would you take a 10 year contract with Sabin right now? Discussion about KFs ability to coach regardless of age is a different question.

And I also don't think he or KF want him to wait until the end of KF's contract.

It's reasonable to assume Kirk steps down in the next few years. Mostly because if BF is successful he'll get other opportunities. If he's not, KF would want to make him HC before he's cheap enough to fire.

Way to go nostradamus. :p

Why do you guys all think that KF will want to step down? I know a lot of 60 and 70 yo with much better energy and shape than some of you 30/40 yo dudes. Would you take a 10 year contract with Sabin right now? Discussion about KFs ability to coach regardless of age is a different question.

He doesn't want to step down now, but I could see him looking to be done in 3-5 years, I believe all anyone is saying is that if those 3-5 years are successful (success being subjectively defined), that a succession plan to BF might be good timing.

I would say if we can have a couple 9+ win season and another shot or two at the B1G championship game over the next 3-5 years, yeah....it make sense. If we avg less than 7 wins over the next 3-5 and the offense is not at least to K.O.K levels, then no, I think we likely go a different direction.

Another option, let's say we struggle, but the offense magically gets to a top 30 performing offense....now, there's an interesting situation....

Last edited:
He doesn't want to step down now, but I could see him looking to be done in 3-5 years, I believe all anyone is saying is that if those 3-5 years are successful (success being subjectively defined), that a succession plan to BF might be good timing.

I would say if we can have a couple 9+ win season and another shot or two at the B1G championship game over the next 3-5 years, yeah....it make sense. If we avg less than 8 wins over the next 3-5 and the offense is not at least to K.O.K levels, then no, I think we likely go a different direction.

Another option, let's say we struggle, but the offense magically gets to a top 30 performing offense....now, there's an interesting situation....

There has been little evidence though to conclude that averaging less that 8 wins would spell trouble for him. My guess is that a decent year sprinkled in with 3 years of 6 or 7 with a really bad one....he'd be quite safe. Look to MSU this year...wow.

There has been little evidence though to conclude that averaging less that 8 wins would spell trouble for him. My guess is that a decent year sprinkled in with 3 years of 6 or 7 with a really bad one....he'd be quite safe. Look to MSU this year...wow.

You misunderstand me, I'm not saying he's forced out under the circumstances above(the lower range), I'm saying they would be ideal for him to Choose to leave and have a succession plan for BF.

As has been noted multiple times...KF will only be leaving inside of 3-5 years if he:
1. Chooses to, or
2. Has 2-3 consecutive years of less than 7 wins. (I changed the post above to less than 7, as you are correct, 7 wins for consecutive years, while not very good, likely wouldn't be enough to make a change inside of 5 years), although after that....maybe....maybe. depends on buyout situation and if KF would forego it and step away for a lesser amount, which I believe he woud.

Last edited:
Who is this Sabin you speak of?

Ear regardless of our future football wins/losses football record. When Kirk decides too retire HE Will Tell Barta that Brian IS The New Coach...DEAL WITH IT.

Latest posts