I hate to say it..

Iowa would have to pretty much lose out to miss an NCAA invite. That said, our seed has to be dropping like a rock. A 2-2 finish would mean another bad loss somewhere along the way.. There's the MSU game, but that second loss would be against a mediocre Indiana team, or at home to either Illinois or Purdue. Yikes.

I'm not chalking up the ILL game as a win just yet, either. That team went into the Barn and handled Minnesota.. Something Iowa couldn't do. ILL is not an automatic W in my opinion. The game in Bloomington tomorrow night is not going to be easy, either.

Iowa better get it's stuff (for lack of a cleaner word) together soon or it's going to be playing a 1 seed in the second round. Provided it can even get out of the first round.

I worry about this team's mental state right about now. Gonna be an interesting last 4 games + BTT, methinks. Still a lot of hoops left to play. At this point, I'm not sure if that's a good thing, or a bad thing...

Ya its all real up in the air right now. How will the Hawks respond? Can we go out and clip IU and take 3 of 4 to end the season?

I am sure you are aware that MN did not have a field goal in the last 8 minutes of the game?

Exactly. There were times where both teams played bad D, but mostly it was good ball movement opening up shots for both teams. Sucks to lose, but I love watching this basketball over what we've dealt with for much too long.

We will make the tournament (can't believe that we've played ourselves into that topic) but if we keep it up we will play ourselves right out of te tournament with a one and done

I'd bet your entire paycheck from McDonalds that there is ZERO chance we will be an 11 seed with a 2-2 record. This whole thread drives me insane seriously. I don't post very often and haven't for some time, but now is as good of time as any.

Why does everyone give up so easily? All of you talking about NIT bids are nuts. This team passes the "eye" test, the selection committee talks about it every year. We have been top 25 virtually all season. We are going to the dance, we are going to be a tough team to beat. Teams are not going to want to play us. Why? Because we are good! We have a strong team with a solid bench that can run and go toe to toe with any freaking team in the country.

So we lost 2 games big freaking deal. Everyone just quit your belly aching and buck up, this team needs our support more than ever, and I for one love and support this team. There will be better days and the snow will melt and temps will rise. And that you can take straight to the bank.
Correction, teams won't mind playing Iowa in the tourny. Why? Because we don't seem to know what to do at the end of close games which seem to happen often in the NCAA tournament. No way am I betting my McDonalds paycheck against your GAP paycheck, now that Obama wants to raise our pay, there is just too much money on the table. This team could go to the NIT or the Sweet 16, just depends on which team shows up on any given day!

Last edited:
Eh, you can keep your Obama burger flippin $15/hr.
I aint a bettin man on the Hawks the rest of this season.

I was thinking about this some more. Here are a few things that worry me:

Non-Conference: 2 wins against the Top 100 (according to ESPN's RPI, which granted is not official). Xavier (51) and UTEP (86). That's it. Xavier could get back into the Top 50, though. 8 of our wins were against RPI 150+. So once again, our non-con isn't doing us any favors. We all know about the committee's obsession with non-conference schedules.

2-7 against the RPI Top 25. Not much to add to this.

After a loss last night, Iowa is likely a loss @Indiana (or to Purdue) away from dropping out of the rankings.

Our ESPN RPI is down to 38. Not sure about the NCAA RPI since it hasn't been updated since 2/24, but probably around 30-32. Not sure games against IU, ILL and Purdue are going to help this much. Losing any of these could be very damaging.

The best part of our resume is that Iowa doesn't have any bad losses, with all 8 being in the Top 50.

No, Iowa is not currently on the bubble IMO. But I'm not 100% convinced that it is as far away from the bubble as some people insist. If Iowa loses 2 or more of these last 4 regular season games, and flames out in the first game of the BTT, I'm going to be a lot more nervous.

Last edited:

Latest posts