I hate to admit this but warming to the NBA

Everyone palms the ball at every level, if officials wanted to they could call if on just about every dribble. Again people who say there is no defense in the NBA, just don't watch it. The defense in the NBA is so much better than in the NCAA. Just because Again people who say there is no defense in the NBA, just don't watch itteams in college can't shoot worth **** doesn't mean the other team is playing good defense.

Adam Morrison agrees with you.

Senior Season Average
36 min 28ppg 49.6%FG 42.8%3pt

NBA Average
20 min, 7.5ppg 37% FG 33%3pt

I am really excited about the NBA playoffs. If you don't think they play defense they you don't understand the game. Sure some teams (Knicks, Warriors, Suns to name a few) try and outscore you, and they generally don't win.

The Bulls were the league's best team because they played the league's best D. LA and Boston have been successful in the past few years because of their huge size and ability to defend.

Sure there is 1 on 1 at times, bad officiating, complaining, but the incredible athleticism, skill, and competition far outweighs it.

If all the higher seeds win in the first round, the semi's and conf finals could be pretty terrific. With that said, I don't watch anything until the conf finals...even if my Lakers are playing.

As far as the officiating, it aint perfect,but it is done by professionals,and hence is about ten million times better than college officiating. If you watch a lot of NBA ball, I find myself amazed by how many tough calls are verified by replay after the fact. These players are huge and supremely quick,and these refs still do a solid job on getting it right very often. Even the offensive player push-offs while in the air on a move to the hoop to clear space...a call you virtually never see in college, is usually the right call when they do call it.
And btw, I saw Rose get called for palming on Monday nite vs the Pacers...so they do call it. I thought they got it wrong tho,as he is so quick,they just missed it.

You clearly don't watch NBA basketball. Your comments here and earlier when you said it's bad basketball are laughable.

As mentioned the level of talent in the NBA right now is astonishing. I watched the Dallas/Portland game last night and was blown away. Dallas moved the ball, they got open looks behind the arc, they had penetration buckets by guards, they had 7 footers comming off screens and sticking 19 footers, they had 7' big men swatting shots, catching and dunking, and getting rebounds.

I don't know if they will continue to play at this level but if they do they are a legit title contender.

The only thing that rivals an NBA playoff game in intensity is an NFL playoff game (and that includes the NCAA tournament). I'll be the first to admit the regular season can drag a little bit but playoff basketball is a whole different story.

I never once said they weren't talented and weren't tall and couldn't jump high. It's just BORING. Pick and roll after pick and roll....and then most of the time someone will just chuck up a 3. Or take a guy (Mello) and give it to him on the wing. Let him go one on one and if they double, swing it around and someone will pop a 3 (at least the Nugs don't do that **** anymore).

I watched the last few minutes of the Celts game. 4.9 seconds left. Knicks down 1. They decide not to cover the guy catching the inbounds pass and watch as he runs the clock down to less than a second. What?!?!?!?

Watched a portion of the Magic game. They shot (and this is just a guess) about 7 3's in 8 possessions. Missed every one of them. Hedo took about 4 straight himself.

I watch a lot of basketball, O Mighty Duffman. It is the 3rd best professional sport, right before Badminton. To me, the basketball is not good enough to watch. And I never said college was either.

"As far as the officiating, it aint perfect,but it is done by professionals,and hence is about ten million times better than college officiating."

Plus, college refs seem to take after baseball umps with the exaggerated calls and the attention seeking.

I never once said they weren't talented and weren't tall and couldn't jump high. It's just BORING. Pick and roll after pick and roll....and then most of the time someone will just chuck up a 3. Or take a guy (Mello) and give it to him on the wing. Let him go one on one and if they double, swing it around and someone will pop a 3 (at least the Nugs don't do that **** anymore).

I watched the last few minutes of the Celts game. 4.9 seconds left. Knicks down 1. They decide not to cover the guy catching the inbounds pass and watch as he runs the clock down to less than a second. What?!?!?!?

Watched a portion of the Magic game. They shot (and this is just a guess) about 7 3's in 8 possessions. Missed every one of them. Hedo took about 4 straight himself.

I watch a lot of basketball, O Mighty Duffman. It is the 3rd best professional sport, right before Badminton. To me, the basketball is not good enough to watch. And I never said college was either.

So if you don't like basketball, why do you watch a lot of basketball?

[...]

Everyone has their preferences, but this is demonstrably false. Here's the shot chart from the Celtics-Knicks game last night:

New York Knicks vs. Boston Celtics - Shot Chart - April 19, 2011 - ESPN

Hawks-Magic:

Atlanta Hawks vs. Orlando Magic - Shot Chart - April 19, 2011 - ESPN

Blazers-Mavs:

Portland Trail Blazers vs. Dallas Mavericks - Shot Chart - April 19, 2011 - ESPN

The Celtics' shot selection is particularly beautiful. If you're wondering how they shot 47% from the field, look at the way they spread the floor and hit the open man in a variety of spots. When was the last time you saw a college team take that many shots between 12-18 feet? That is what a skilled point guard will do for you, and the NBA is absolutely loaded with awesome point guards right now.

Everyone has their preferences, but this is demonstrably false. Here's the shot chart from the Celtics-Knicks game last night:

New York Knicks vs. Boston Celtics - Shot Chart - April 19, 2011 - ESPN

Hawks-Magic:

Atlanta Hawks vs. Orlando Magic - Shot Chart - April 19, 2011 - ESPN

Blazers-Mavs:

Portland Trail Blazers vs. Dallas Mavericks - Shot Chart - April 19, 2011 - ESPN

The Celtics' shot selection is particularly beautiful. If you're wondering how they shot 47% from the field, look at the way they spread the floor and hit the open man in a variety of spots. When was the last time you saw a college team take that many shots between 12-18 feet? That is what a skilled point guard will do for you, and the NBA is absolutely loaded with awesome point guards right now.

Well, it sort of proves my point too. Mello had 30 shots. 30. The Magic were 5-23 from range. Ouch. That's a healthy 22%. The Knicks shot 25 3's.

There are exceptions to nearly every rule. Lakers, Celtics...maybe Dallas (but Dirk is most of that team). But in general, I just don't like the style of basketball.

I can't have that opinion?

I love NBA basketball, the things that these athletes do is remarkable. Not sure how you can't become a fan after watching Derrick Rose play. Lebron James can do the same thing, but he has another superstar to share the load. (Sorry Bosh is not a superstar). Rose has no one, and when he wants to, he will take over the entire game, offense and defense.

I love NBA basketball, the things that these athletes do is remarkable. Not sure how you can't become a fan after watching Derrick Rose play. Lebron James can do the same thing, but he has another superstar to share the load. (Sorry Bosh is not a superstar). Rose has no one, and when he wants to, he will take over the entire game, offense and defense.

Agreed, like stated earlier, that man is amazing. His ability to score at the rim is one of a kind.

Well, it sort of proves my point too. Mello had 30 shots. 30. The Magic were 5-23 from range. Ouch. That's a healthy 22%. The Knicks shot 25 3's.

There are exceptions to nearly every rule. Lakers, Celtics...maybe Dallas (but Dirk is most of that team). But in general, I just don't like the style of basketball.

I can't have that opinion?

No, like I said, everyone is entitled to their preference. But the stereotype that the NBA is all isolation, pick-and-rolls, and 3-pointers just isn't the case in 2011. If it were, you'd expect that those shot charts would be evenly divided between shots at the rim and 3-point attempts, with very little in the mid-range, but that is definitely not the case. Whether or not teams hit a high percentage is another issue entirely.

As for Melo, Billups was out for the whole game and Amare was out for the second half. He hit a great percentage (14-30) and was 10-11 from the line. If anything, he should have shot more, especially in the last few possessions. I mean, would you rather Melo take that last shot, or Jared Jeffries?

I think that's what it comes down to: some people watch last night's Celtics-Knicks game and come away think Melo was a ballhog; others think they just saw one of the better first-round performances ever. Like I said, I've got no problem with people who think the former, but the idea that the NBA is all isolation and chucking 3s just ain't true.

I think that's what it comes down to: some people watch last night's Celtics-Knicks game and come away think Melo was a ballhog; others think they just saw one of the better first-round performances ever. Like I said, I've got no problem with people who think the former, but the idea that the NBA is all isolation and chucking 3s just ain't true.

I went to at least a dozen Nugs games when Carmello was here. He would shoot it 30 times if those guys WERE in the game. As long as he got his, he could tell the media that he isn't the guy to blame. Yeah, that guy is a talent and a superstar...but his ego is nauseating.

As far as isolation and pick and roles....nearly every possession is started that way, it seems. If it doesn't work, it gets swung around and someone might drive and dish or make something happen. So I guess if the P&R ISN'T working, it's a lot better bball. But there are only a few teams that play that style of ball it seems.

You can't lump the rest of the nba teams to be knicklike. Carmello is the only thing they have and watching them play is horrible. Watching a team like Boston on the other hand, great defense and team play. I hate them, but I love them.

Latest posts