I guess pick up games can get serious

Played in a Mpls rec league 15 years ago. There was a guy on one team that had been kicked out of several leagues. Played like he was hopped up on crack, throwing elbows, constantly chesting up guys and challenging then. Had the cops called on him more than once, when he threatened the refs and other players...even waiting outside in the parking lot for them.

Bad news...he was a walking stereotype

Played in a Mpls rec league 15 years ago. There was a guy on one team that had been kicked out of several leagues. Played like he was hopped up on crack, throwing elbows, constantly chesting up guys and challenging then. Had the cops called on him more than once, when he threatened the refs and other players...even waiting outside in the parking lot for them.

Bad news...he was a walking stereotype
I think I remember that guy you’re talking about...

He just wanted to make sure his pizza order was accurate. And that they had the right delivery address.

$4 a throw for a hot dog or slice of pizza at AAU events is steep enough, even if the officials do eat for free. Better to have sandwiches and snacks in the back of your vehicle between games when possible.

first thing that comes to mind is about the voice. hmmmm. ;)
Well I can't say it's the FIRST thing thought about when her name is brought up but it's a close 2nd or 3rd...
It's right up there as one of the most annoying I've ever heard... as drummer mentioned Fran Dreschers I'd agree hers is probably the worst. Neither of them would I want nagging at me to take the garbage out

I was at my Daughter AAU game a while ago and saw a ref threaten a parent "I'll beat yo A##" "I'm from Waterloo" and on and on. He was saying this to a out of shape parent who was asking them to keep his daughter from being hurt during an extremely physical game" Was he obnoxious...probably. What that ref didn't know was this guys B.A. marine son in law was sitting right next o him. I was watching this happen and I could tell the Marine was about to open a can. Luckily the guy just left the building before it went down. I understand how heated basketball gets, lets not pretend the refs at these things don't play a role in how it escalates. I have played in tournaments where a duma## intentionally fouls me from behind and it took a group of people to keep me from kicking the guy square in the nutz. The issue with all of this B.S. is basketball has now become thugary ,Thank you Michigan State, Its unreal watching AAU basketball sometimes...when you can tell coaches are coaching their player to undercut and other totally stupid shi##. Sorry for the rant I could go on and on but I'll just stop.

Well I can't say it's the FIRST thing thought about when her name is brought up but it's a close 2nd or 3rd...
It's right up there as one of the most annoying I've ever heard... as drummer mentioned Fran Dreschers I'd agree hers is probably the worst. Neither of them would I want nagging at me to take the garbage out

but wouldn't ANY voice sound like that if it's nagging you to do something you don't want to do?

I was at my Daughter AAU game a while ago and saw a ref threaten a parent "I'll beat yo A##" "I'm from Waterloo" and on and on. He was saying this to a out of shape parent who was asking them to keep his daughter from being hurt during an extremely physical game" Was he obnoxious...probably. What that ref didn't know was this guys B.A. marine son in law was sitting right next o him. I was watching this happen and I could tell the Marine was about to open a can. Luckily the guy just left the building before it went down. I understand how heated basketball gets, lets not pretend the refs at these things don't play a role in how it escalates. I have played in tournaments where a duma## intentionally fouls me from behind and it took a group of people to keep me from kicking the guy square in the nutz. The issue with all of this B.S. is basketball has now become thugary ,Thank you Michigan State, Its unreal watching AAU basketball sometimes...when you can tell coaches are coaching their player to undercut and other totally stupid shi##. Sorry for the rant I could go on and on but I'll just stop.
If you follow media types on Twitter like TJ Rushing, you'd think all AAU refs are saints and the coaches/parents are thugs.

coach-gif-6.gif

He just wanted to make sure his pizza order was accurate. And that they had the right delivery address.

$4 a throw for a hot dog or slice of pizza at AAU events is steep enough, even if the officials do eat for free. Better to have sandwiches and snacks in the back of your vehicle between games when possible.
Was your team in Chicago this past weekened?

Its the coaches that bare the blame in these types of scenarios. The refs are instructed to "let the kids play" to a certain extent. They want the college coaches to see the players play, more than the refs blow the whistles. Coaches should still instruct their players to play defense/offense correctly, under these circumstances. What some of these players and coaches don't understand (and I dont know why) is that college coaches won't recruit a walking, trash talking, loose ball foul. So, I'm not sure what purpose they are serving by coaching/encouraging thug play. A lot of curious things occur during AAU basketball.

If you follow media types on Twitter like TJ Rushing, you'd think all AAU refs are saints and the coaches/parents are thugs.
The refs do the best they can, with the situation. Some of them aren't very good but you still have to play ball. The only time I take issue with refs is when the game is getting too chippy and they don't take control of it. For the most part, I haven't seen refs on their phones or not trying to do a good job.