I got $43,381 that says it's sokal who starts

In KF's mind...guy who protects the ball and doesn't turn it over > guy who can make plays when the play breaks down. Therefore: Rudock wears the crown.

Isn't that what that Nebraska D-lineman got caught doing at the convenience store?

Oh.... you said big "bills".

After watching 14 seasons of KF coached I can say absolute confidence the Qb who gets the starting nod (at least to start the season) won't be the guy with the best arm, the most athletic guy, the fastest guy or anyone the fans see as the stud. KF will go with the guy who he feels has the best understanding of the playbook can manage the offense and takes care of the football.

I hope you're right. I'm not sure I can stomach another season of ulra conservative, do nothing but two yard passes, QB play. I think GDs offense requires a QB that thrives after the play breaks down.

How can you say that? One of these years will perfect the old, "Hawkeye one yard out route" on 3rd and 2. When we do...watch out NCAA.

After watching 14 seasons of KF coached I can say absolute confidence the Qb who gets the starting nod (at least to start the season) won't be the guy with the best arm, the most athletic guy, the fastest guy or anyone the fans see as the stud. KF will go with the guy who he feels has the best understanding of the playbook can manage the offense and takes care of the football.

Well, if not throwing interceptions is the number one criteria for a QB and continually stressed, eventually you get what you ask for, a QB like JVB 2012. Namely a QB very good at NOT throwing the football. Why throw when you are rewarded for doing nothing?

Last edited:
Well, if not throwing interceptions is the number one criteria for a QB and continually stressed, eventually you get what you ask for, a QB like JVB 2012. Namely a QB very good at NOT throwing the football. Why throw when you are rewarded for doing nothing?

It is a fine line. Just ask ISU fan about Steele. The dude could make plays, the coaches loved him, and he was lights out in practice. When the lights came on though, he would make completely boneheaded passes, and his TO's killed the team, so he lost his job.

Now Rhoads isn't ultra conservative, but what every coach knows is that if you turn the ball over in D1 college football, your winning % goes down. NO coach wants TO....Aggressive coaches, conservative coaches, nobody.

It is a fine line. Just ask ISU fan about Steele. The dude could make plays, the coaches loved him, and he was lights out in practice. When the lights came on though, he would make completely boneheaded passes, and his TO's killed the team, so he lost his job.

Now Rhoads isn't ultra conservative, but what every coach knows is that if you turn the ball over in D1 college football, your winning % goes down. NO coach wants TO....Aggressive coaches, conservative coaches, nobody.

Sure. And you can assure zero interceptions by never throwing the ball. But you seriously limit your upside.

I for one would like to see KFz accept a little more risk (or the perception...of more risk) if that would help take the ceiling off of our offensive potential.

Steele Jantz would have been a better match for the GD offense than JVB. Jantz is more of an athlete than JVB but I don't think he's nearly as talented as Sokol. Jantz only averaged around 6.0 ypa which led to more losses than his TD/Int ratio of about 1 to 1.

Incidentally, JVB only had 8 ints in 2012 but he only threw 7 tds so his ratio was similar to Jantz (Jantz had 13 TDs and 12 int's but Jantz also had about 120 fewer attempts than JVB in 2012). The real killer for JVB was his 5.78 ypa (worst than JC) and his inability/unwillingness to create when the play broke down.

Last edited:
This years recruits aren't here yet, right? Wonder how much of a shot they'll have to start. Thought some of the guys we picked up were pretty fast, but then again they're just graduating hs so wonder how ready they'll be. REALLY hope Powell is as advertised. We really need someone to break out at that position and early on.
Considering the superstar teams we beat out to get those players like Ohio U, New Mexico State, and Fordham, I'm betting they'll be solid contributors right away.

With how badly this team will struggle on Offense I have to think Iowa will look to use QB draws and mobility at the spot. My guess is that Sokol starts. I also will predict before the year is over all three qb's will play.

I think it is funny that people feel Davis must have a QB that can make things happen when stuff breaks down. Before he had McCoy and young he had immobile qbs. I know that Sokol is more mobile than rudock but I don't think that means he will be better at extending plays until we see what both can do when it matters.

I think it is funny that people feel Davis must have a QB that can make things happen when stuff breaks down. Before he had McCoy and young he had immobile qbs. I know that Sokol is more mobile than rudock but I don't think that means he will be better at extending plays until we see what both can do when it matters.

I seem to remember Davis, himself saying that he wanted this quality in a QB. This was last spring.

Any chance the kid from Texas pushes the incumbent starter next year?

I will just assume he redshirts this year.

I seem to remember Davis, himself saying that he wanted this quality in a QB. This was last spring.

I know what he said. But that doesn't mean that he has to have that. The QB that the coaches think give them the best chance to win will play. I find it hilarious that some think coaches when their job maybe on the line or otherwise would play a QB that is not as good as another player. If the coaches think Sokol is better he will play. Not because he is better when the play breaks down but because they think he will win more.

I hope you're right. I'm not sure I can stomach another season of ulra conservative, do nothing but two yard passes, QB play. I think GDs offense requires a QB that thrives after the play breaks down.

Yeah, but KF 'goes to pieces' - thinks there will be greater chances for mistakes -when the play breaks down. You know Rudock is gonna be chosen as Iowa's starting QB (because he knows the offense the best) barring injury. IMO, Davis won't even be given the decision.

Latest posts