I don't understand the complaining...

83Hawk

Banned
People knew there was a new policy being implemented, and you knew there was going to be a crackdown......

And yet people act surprised there were a lot of law enforcement personnel. Indignant because they were enforcing the new policy.

If I were tailgating, I'd probably dial it back a little until things calm down and return to pretty much business as usual (which it will). Maybe go non-alcohol or at least play it extra safe. And not cop an "attitude" when the police go by.

People talk about "overzealousness" of law enforcement, yet I'm sure there is another side to the stories that are not being presented. Like the one example someone gave of a group in their 50s and 60s being made to pour their vodka out. HELLO.....hard liquor is not allowed. It is their own fault. And to have one of them comment loudly "I'm a hardened criminal." Yes, I'm sure the officer writing the ticket found that to be very witty.

You know what? Just stow the "attitude". Follow the rules and you won't have a problem. It won't be long before you can go back to your drinking games.

Honestly....some of you act like it is the end of the world. You make a big deal out of essentially nothing. You don't have the sense to use the brains God gave you. Instead of trying to avoid problems I swear some of you go out of your way to cause them.

Exactly. It sounds like if you had yourself and group under control the police ignored you, but if you were acting like an idiot...... well you see the point.

People knew there was a new policy being implemented, and you knew there was going to be a crackdown......

And yet people act surprised there were a lot of law enforcement personnel. Indignant because they were enforcing the new policy.

If I were tailgating, I'd probably dial it back a little until things calm down and return to pretty much business as usual (which it will). Maybe go non-alcohol or at least play it extra safe. And not cop an "attitude" when the police go by.

People talk about "overzealousness" of law enforcement, yet I'm sure there is another side to the stories that are not being presented. Like the one example someone gave of a group in their 50s and 60s being made to pour their vodka out. HELLO.....hard liquor is not allowed. It is their own fault. And to have one of them comment loudly "I'm a hardened criminal." Yes, I'm sure the officer writing the ticket found that to be very witty.

You know what? Just stow the "attitude". Follow the rules and you won't have a problem. It won't be long before you can go back to your drinking games.

Honestly....some of you act like it is the end of the world. You make a big deal out of essentially nothing. You don't have the sense to use the brains God gave you. Instead of trying to avoid problems I swear some of you go out of your way to cause them.

Actually, they didn't just pour their vodka out, they immediately wrote them a ticket, then poured out the vodka. Where as, other cops were warning people, pouring out the booze/beer, and continuing on their way (no ticket). Each officer used a different amount of discretion and for those who WERE breaking the rules, it just depended on what cop you had to deal with.

I don't have any problems at all with the new rules. We've known for years that liquor is against the rules....but when we have rum and cokes or hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps, we make sure that no one sees the bottle of booze. The tailgate atmosphere in Iowa City is just the same as it always was. Just don't walk around with an open beer. Do what we did and keep some closed cold ones in your pocket and when you feel the need to enjoy another, stop in a tailgate lot you're passing through, enjoy your beer until it's gone and continue down the road.

Why is hard alcohol not allowed!?!?

If it's on private property and I'm of age then why does the government have a say?

Just because they're the rules, doesn't make them right.

Last edited:
I tried to see both sides of this, but just can't get by the fact that even the officers on duty did not have a clear understanding of what was "right" and wrong. I'm not talking about some drunk student ******* on somebody's kid or blatant disregard to the drinking policy. People were getting tickets for a lot of money for sitting at a tailgate, listening to music (god forbid), having a beer two feet off their "tailgate area" which is just asinine.

There is a reason there is the amount of posts on here about this and if anyone thinks it's just something that will go away after the second or third week, you are mistaken. Sad to say, but people who have been strong supporters of the Iowa football team for years will choose to stop coming due to this policy and the cost associated with it. When you are sitting around your tailgate a few years from now listening to Disney music and wondering if you should take your sweater and spf 90 into the game maybe you should rethink what America is all about. Land of the free. Next thing you know, you won't be able to post on Hawkeye Nation because the University or city of Iowa City didn't give you permission. Go ahead and roll over, let them walk all over you.

I tried to see both sides of this, but just can't get by the fact that even the officers on duty did not have a clear understanding of what was "right" and wrong. I'm not talking about some drunk student ******* on somebody's kid or blatant disregard to the drinking policy. People were getting tickets for a lot of money for sitting at a tailgate, listening to music (god forbid), having a beer two feet off their "tailgate area" which is just asinine.

There is a reason there is the amount of posts on here about this and if anyone thinks it's just something that will go away after the second or third week, you are mistaken. Sad to say, but people who have been strong supporters of the Iowa football team for years will choose to stop coming due to this policy and the cost associated with it. When you are sitting around your tailgate a few years from now listening to Disney music and wondering if you should take your sweater and spf 90 into the game maybe you should rethink what America is all about. Land of the free. Next thing you know, you won't be able to post on Hawkeye Nation because the University or city of Iowa City didn't give you permission. Go ahead and roll over, let them walk all over you.

Over-react much?

If you think there will be a mass (or even small) exodus by the "strong" supporters you are greatly mistaken. People will continue to come. The only ones who won't will be those who rely on alcohol to control their lives.

Call the policy "asinine" all you want...but it is really that hard to operate within the guidelines? Is it too much trouble to be extra careful about something you KNEW about well in advance?

I walked thru several lots yesterday. I saw the same atmosphere I see every game day: people having fun...people enjoying their beer...people enjoying the game day experience. Some of you are going WAY over the top.

It is not rocket science.

I was ready for the new open container policy and ready for the DUI check points.

However, not ready to see officers riding around telling people their music was too loud when nobody was complaing. Officers going through people's RV's and Cars for no reason. Officers telling people they couldnt play drinking games (it was news to me). Giving tickets to 60 year old people because they crossed the street to talk to someone.

There is common sense about stuff, and then there is what happened on Saturday.

If they want to kill tailgating as we know it and ruin the gameday experience that we have built over the years, then turn the blind eye. I however, love the experience I grew up with too much to let that happen without voicing my displeasure.

I was not hassled at all at Buckley's bar in Seattle yesterday. In fact, they kept bringing me beers!

Over-react much?

If you think there will be a mass (or even small) exodus by the "strong" supporters you are greatly mistaken. People will continue to come. The only ones who won't will be those who rely on alcohol to control their lives.

Call the policy "asinine" all you want...but it is really that hard to operate within the guidelines? Is it too much trouble to be extra careful about something you KNEW about well in advance?

I walked thru several lots yesterday. I saw the same atmosphere I see every game day: people having fun...people enjoying their beer...people enjoying the game day experience. Some of you are going WAY over the top.

It is not rocket science.

I would normally agree wholeheartedly with you. The problem was there was no clear guidelines and the officers I spoke with were as confused as we were. Some put on their "I'm gonna be the biggest ***** today" badge (ahem, I'm looking at you Marion officers) and some were generally wanting to do the right thing. Drinking and driving = obviously wrong and they should proactively prevent it. Peeing in public, yep, that got me a ticket in college and will get one today and tomorrow. Walking up and down the street with a sixer attached to your belt buckle drinking = illegal and you should get a ticket. This is where you and I part ways. Taking things literal and fining someone for stepping off their "area" is a bit harsh. Similar to ticketing someone going 71 in a 70. The intensity with which the officers were enforcing the 1 hour and 2 hour rules was somewhat disturbing. That particular rule is apparently 100% ambiguous and left entirely up to the police officer. If they want to enforce these rules with such zeal - fine. But be crystal clear about it.

I was ready for the new open container policy and ready for the DUI check points.

However, not ready to see officers riding around telling people their music was too loud when nobody was complaing. Officers going through people's RV's and Cars for no reason. Officers telling people they couldnt play drinking games (it was news to me). Giving tickets to 60 year old people because they crossed the street to talk to someone.

If they want to kill tailgating as we know it and ruin the gameday experience that we have built over the years, then turn the blind eye. I however, love the experience I grew up with too much to let that happen without voicing my displeasure.

Bingo. The 60 year old people crossing the STREET with an open beer have no common sense. It's just sad how stupid some people can be after even being warned.

I can't believe how lame people are on this board right now. If you think your liberties around tailgating are going to improve over the next few years, you are out of your mind. They now realize they can control the atmosphere around Kinnick. I can see it now, any swear word uttered on University premises can be subject to a fine. I can see it now, a day care center right outside next to Nile's statue. We would prefer if you didn't cheer, so the kids can sleep.

The University isn't just telling you where you can drink, they are telling you what you can drink. Does no one think that is a little insane? What's wrong with you people? If I was still in school, I'd be organizing something to tell them we freaking disagree with your new rules.
Oh, and loud music, well, that won't go either...even if no one is complaining? Who are they, your father?

I'm kind of in shock over this as I wasn't following this that closely as I live on the West Coast now. I had no idea they went this far.

I can't believe how lame people are on this board right now. If you think your liberties around tailgating are going to improve over the next few years, you are out of your mind. They now realize they can control the atmosphere around Kinnick. I can see it now, any swear word uttered on University premises can be subject to a fine. I can see it now, a day care center right outside next to Nile's statue. We would prefer if you didn't cheer, so the kids can sleep.

The University isn't just telling you where you can drink, they are telling you what you can drink. Does no one think that is a little insane? What's wrong with you people? If I was still in school, I'd be organizing something to tell them we freaking disagree with your new rules.
Oh, and loud music, well, that won't go either...even if no one is complaining? Who are they, your father?

I'm kind of in shock over this as I wasn't following this that closely as I live on the West Coast now. I had no idea they went this far.

there's some good slippery-slope exaggeration. Nice work.

This was my first game at Kinnick (been to multiple away/bowl games). I personally had to issues with any law enforcement. We were parked in the lot next to the field hockey field (not sure of the name).

1. We played music (not loud by any means). Do the rules say no music, or just at a reasonable volume?

2. We drank beer and played drinking games - and no one told us we can't - are there rules on drinking games.

3. We did not stay to long after the game - but that rule I think can have negative consequences.

At other stadiums I have been to, I have seen similar rules. Heck at Carter Finley (NC State) a double murder at a tailgate caused them to make some restrictions (although I really do not think that the new rules would have affected the outcome in that situation).

That being said, I had a good time, and if there were no rules, I would not have done anything differently. I am not some old guy (I am 32) and like to have a good time and have some beer, I think if you use your brain that vast majority of the people will not have any complaints. (sans the 2 hour post game rule)

A few well written letters accompanied by people showing they respect the other rules may allow them to overturn the post game rules.

they have been cracking down on tailgating more and more with each year. It is a slippery slope.

Amen! I have been going to Hawkeye Football for over 40 years! A good portion of that time the Hawkeyes were not that good. Yet we still showed up to meet with friends that we only saw a few times a year. We met because of the Hawkeye football experience. Hawkeye football is quite the experience, it is an event. Can you imagine 50,000 people showing up for a losing team? Just for the game?

Coming to Iowa City on gameday has always been a place to have a good time and socialize. It would be travesty if they ruined that part of my life. For Hawkeye football was what kept me in Iowa so many moons ago. I am dead serious about that. It was mid-summer about 15 years ago and I was going to leave the state for a job in Texas, but I didn't because it was almost football season in Iowa City. I stayed, I met a lady and I am still here...

Like I said, it would be travesty if they ruined that part of my life. Our lives.

Will I still come for Hawkeye football, without the event that surrounds it? Sure, but not as frequently I can assure you of that. There are a lot of people that have showed up for our tailgates over the years that could not afford the games, but they still came to enjoy the Hawkeye experience. A lot of those friends are long gone, but the memory remains. Let's hope that it doesn't turn into that, a memory...

No 83 Hawk I dont suppose you do understand. Its not your fault if your 83, and don"t get it, I understand. Go some where and enjoy your tea and crumpets. I have a father thats 87 and he would understand. I'm sorry you don't. If you don"t think this change in policy is going to change things in the future when Iowa has a off year you are sadly mistaken.

wow:eek:

they have been cracking down on tailgating more and more with each year. It is a slippery slope.

You are correct. For about 25 years. Literally. Just before Hunter Rawlings I believe. Nothing has stopped it, but they are trying their best with this near Nazi push. We will see how it turns out.

I ask you this scenario, assuming this Nazism on tailgating works. If, sorry, WHEN we have a couple down years in the very near future will there still be 80,000+ people showing up in Iowa City for the gameday experience? We did in the 80s & 90s when we had losing records. That is a fact.

Now imagine - losing record. No tailgating. Do you really, REALLY think that there will be that many people show up to watch a losing team???

Latest posts