I don't even recognize this team anymore

Well, if you can't defend, you can't win, especially on the road in a very good conference.

Defense is effort. Iowa is not giving the required effort right now.

Why? I do not know. Sunday is the biggest game of the season. Iowa needs to show up and give 100% effort

Thing is who cares if they win Sunday against Purdue. Iowa will be expected too.

If Fran ****s this team up completely and misses the tournament he will lose the fanbase. His legacy as Iowa's coach is on the line the next few weeks. Seems drastic but I think that's the reality.

If this actually happens, it's going to go down in history with the likes of the 2001-02 hoops season (Recker & Evans, Top 10 pre-season, 1st round NIT loss). Things didn't go well for Alford after that year.

This must not happen.

Well, if you can't defend, you can't win, especially on the road in a very good conference.

Defense is effort. Iowa is not giving the required effort right now.

Why? I do not know. Sunday is the biggest game of the season. Iowa needs to show up and give 100% effort

The why is simple. Who wants to bust their butts off for a team who's fans don't appreciate them or will turn on them at the drop of a hat. Any fan that feels they can bash a kid behind a user name should be take out back and shot. Any anyone bashing a kid for standing up for themselves can too. There are clearly a lot more Iowa fans that are idiots then I thought if they feel McCabe is the main person to blame for any of this.

Once the team starts worrying about the fans rather then there opponent it is lost. A good example is the Cubs post season a few years ago (8 maybe) with the foul ball interference. If that doesn't happen they are likely in the World Series.

It's broken and nobody knows how to fix it. The staff must just be hoping they sneak into the dance to get that monkey off their back and try again next year.

Iowa needs to WIN OUT in its remaining regular season games to remain in consideration for the Dance. Get the two home games, that's bubble time, seems to me. Win only one of the three, I'm not sure even a strong showing in the BTT, short of winning it, will be enough.

Iowa needs to WIN OUT in its remaining regular season games to remain in consideration for the Dance. Get the two home games, that's bubble time, seems to me. Win only one of the three, I'm not sure even a strong showing in the BTT, short of winning it, will be enough.

Easy there...we win 2 of the next 3 (Purdue and Illinois) we are in. If we win just one (MSU) we are in. Lose all three and the first game in the tourney...NIT.

None of us have the answer and neither do the players or the staff.....If I were a player I would take it upon myself to band together as a team, yes team, and get this figured out....especially when it comes to defense....how many times did Iowa lose their player? Easy buckets under the basket, not cool. We need to see kids with emotion, high-fivin each other, just down right getting after it....Our kids wouldn't say sh%t if they had a mouth full....they look distraught, look lost, and look scared to play a game they were recruited for, and love to play....they have to do it, and they have to fight through this funk they're in right now...

As pathetic as Iowa has been, they're solidly in. It's a very weak bubble thankfully

I respectfully disagree but I think we both agree we would prefer not to test this hypothesis with the committee. Just win, baby.

I was basing the being in assuming they beat Purdue and Illinois, but yeah those aren't gimmes for Iowa at this point. Iowa is fighting for their NCAA lives the next 2 weeks

If Fran ****s this team up completely and misses the tournament he will lose the fanbase. His legacy as Iowa's coach is on the line the next few weeks. Seems drastic but I think that's the reality.

Waaaayyyy overstated, News. Sorry, but good grief, man.

I am amazed at how extreme fans get in analysis of the game. If the Hawkeyes are so bad, why did they have a lead well into the game?

I don't think most of us recognize the fine line between winning and losing. For instance, Fran talked about how a missed shot at the rim on one end and a layup at the other is the difference between a 9 point lead and a 5 point lead. All it takes is a few of these going the other way and the game is won.

Or to put it another way: would fans be complaining so much about how bad the team is if just a few things had gone their way and they had won? It wouldn't be that they really played that much differently, just that a shot went in here and a shot didn't go in there for Indiana.

Ultimately, you have to assess a team on wins and losses, but the quality of play is not always that much different in a win and a loss.

I am amazed at how extreme fans get in analysis of the game. If the Hawkeyes are so bad, why did they have a lead well into the game?

I don't think most of us recognize the fine line between winning and losing. For instance, Fran talked about how a missed shot at the rim on one end and a layup at the other is the difference between a 9 point lead and a 5 point lead. All it takes is a few of these going the other way and the game is won.

Or to put it another way: would fans be complaining so much about how bad the team is if just a few things had gone their way and they had won? It wouldn't be that they really played that much differently, just that a shot went in here and a shot didn't go in there for Indiana.

Ultimately, you have to assess a team on wins and losses, but the quality of play is not always that much different in a win and a loss.

I don't care if they had a lead and I don't care if one easy basket that rimmed out and then resulted in a 3 on the other end was the difference or not.

The fact remains that this team looks NOWHERE NEAR the same team they were a month ago or, heck, even a week ago when they torched Michigan. Teams are getting to the rim at will on us and they are getting uncontested 3 after uncontested 3. All 3 teams shot over 50% against us and all 3 outrebounded us. We had been one of the top 30 defensive efficiency teams in the country up until the last 3 games and in none of those 3 games were we playing offensive juggernauts. Wisconsin, while they've scored more this year than typical, still scored nearly 80 points and shot 75% in the first half. Minnesota had posted TOTAL points of between 46 and 54 points in their last 3 games and then 95 against us. Indiana had struggled to get to 70 points in the last month and got to 93 against us.

That type of effort and intensity isn't "one or two breaks away from winning". It's a total and complete reversal from who we've been all year. It speaks of something systemic more than a passing fancy.

I don't care if they had a lead and I don't care if one easy basket that rimmed out and then resulted in a 3 on the other end was the difference or not.

The fact remains that this team looks NOWHERE NEAR the same team they were a month ago or, heck, even a week ago when they torched Michigan. Teams are getting to the rim at will on us and they are getting uncontested 3 after uncontested 3. All 3 teams shot over 50% against us and all 3 outrebounded us. We had been one of the top 30 defensive efficiency teams in the country up until the last 3 games and in none of those 3 games were we playing offensive juggernauts. Wisconsin, while they've scored more this year than typical, still scored nearly 80 points and shot 75% in the first half. Minnesota had posted TOTAL points of between 46 and 54 points in their last 3 games and then 95 against us. Indiana had struggled to get to 70 points in the last month and got to 93 against us.

That type of effort and intensity isn't "one or two breaks away from winning". It's a total and complete reversal from who we've been all year. It speaks of something systemic more than a passing fancy.

This has been going on quite a bit all year actually. Even in the Minnesota (2nd half) & Michigan wins. Both teams missed a ton of open 3s in Carver. Villanova beat Iowa nailing open 3s. ISU missed a ton of them in the first half at Hilton.

They need to win 1-2 to lock.

Yet, how different this forum would be if a few shots had gone in on one end and not on the other. Everything else could have stayed the same for 98% of the game, but would there be massive meltdown?

Latest posts