I disconnect Directv finally after 10 yrs.

After you quit, they'll give you a sweet offer after a couple months. Got locked in for $35 amonth for two years

Your reputation is catching up with you.
latest

Ok, so I signed up for the free 7 day trial for the PS Vue service. I don't have a Playstation any longer, so I am using my Roku. It seems that the Roku is missing some very rudimentary features like adding another viewer profile, and pulling up the guide. This seems insanely stupid to me, as these are key features that are missing on Roku.

First impressions:
-nice setup and fairly easy to navigate
-favorites and DVR items are kind of confusing, but I'm sure they will get easier as I use the system
-Clear good picture quality
-Pretty quick, but I have a really good internet connection

I think the Vue can easily become by "cable" service. I do think that you will absolutely need an antenna for locals and it seems like the Tablo https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-products/ would be a great companion device for the PS Vue. You hook the Tablo up to an antenna and your router. Then you can use an app on AppleTV, Roku, phones, and tablets and you stream your antenna to those devices! You can buy any USB storage device, plug it into the back and then you have a DVR as well. This is a must if you want local news, morning shows, late night shows, sporting events, etc.

Long gone are the days of the rotary antenna on your roof to bring in local stations, which was all that was offered (Stations 2,3 and 9). You'd point the dial on the box on the TV to NE, and wait 30 seconds listening to the subtle grinding noise as the antenna changed positions.

Ok, so I signed up for the free 7 day trial for the PS Vue service. I don't have a Playstation any longer, so I am using my Roku. It seems that the Roku is missing some very rudimentary features like adding another viewer profile, and pulling up the guide. This seems insanely stupid to me, as these are key features that are missing on Roku.

First impressions:
-nice setup and fairly easy to navigate
-favorites and DVR items are kind of confusing, but I'm sure they will get easier as I use the system
-Clear good picture quality
-Pretty quick, but I have a really good internet connection

I think the Vue can easily become by "cable" service. I do think that you will absolutely need an antenna for locals and it seems like the Tablo https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-products/ would be a great companion device for the PS Vue. You hook the Tablo up to an antenna and your router. Then you can use an app on AppleTV, Roku, phones, and tablets and you stream your antenna to those devices! You can buy any USB storage device, plug it into the back and then you have a DVR as well. This is a must if you want local news, morning shows, late night shows, sporting events, etc.

Dean, can you explain this to/for a guy who went from the antenna to cable/satellite and then to Roku?

See if I have it right:

--I get a Tablo. I hook it to my antenna and router.
--I take a USB storage device (anything from large flash drive to external hard drive, I assume?) and plug into router.

Where do I plug into router? I assume my router (from cable company) has USB outlets? How does Tablo plug into antenna and router? Coaxial cable?

I have an Amazon Fire TV with SlingTV, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu and MLB.tv. We also have KODI side loaded. With KODI you can get Genesis (which allows you to watch just about any movie/show). And we have Sportsdevil. Which allows you to stream nearly any live sporting event in the world. The reliability isn't the best. You can successfully stream about 80% of what you want to see. But what we do for Iowa games is use a friend's DirectTV account and stream it using a laptop connected to the TV. We could watch them via sportdevil... but I get really angry if I'm having trouble streaming it on sportsdevil, so directTV works better. Keeps my blood pressure down lol.

Dean, can you explain this to/for a guy who went from the antenna to cable/satellite and then to Roku?

See if I have it right:

--I get a Tablo. I hook it to my antenna and router.
--I take a USB storage device (anything from large flash drive to external hard drive, I assume?) and plug into router.

Where do I plug into router? I assume my router (from cable company) has USB outlets? How does Tablo plug into antenna and router? Coaxial cable?

You should just hook up from your router to the tablo with a cat5 eithernet cable. That should be it. Now I don't have one, so I don't know that for sure, but that is what it looked like to me.

PS Vue update.

I was pretty disappointed when I got home last night and checked my PS Vue recording. They had the B1G network alternate channel, or so it said. Yet when I checked the recording, it was UNC vs Ill. Now I don't know if that was operator error, but I think that you can't get the overflow B1G network channels. I don't think it is a deal breaker, but why have them if you only show one game on all channels (UNC vs Ill.)?

PS Vue update.

I was pretty disappointed when I got home last night and checked my PS Vue recording. They had the B1G network alternate channel, or so it said. Yet when I checked the recording, it was UNC vs Ill. Now I don't know if that was operator error, but I think that you can't get the overflow B1G network channels. I don't think it is a deal breaker, but why have them if you only show one game on all channels (UNC vs Ill.)?

Update. So since you can download the BTN app to the Roku, you can watch the replay on that. Still kind of disappointing that the BTN alternative channels don't actually how different games.

The problem I had when I looked up for Iowa and Iowa Sat his stool down is that I have no tv provider when I logged into BTN . The only thing I have is Mediacum.scum for Internet. Roku stream off the wifi I have.

I remember my next door nieghbor had this in his backyard, and he got 600 channels . How in the world does anyone have time to watch 600 channels? .

Update. So since you can download the BTN app to the Roku, you can watch the replay on that. Still kind of disappointing that the BTN alternative channels don't actually how different games.

Aha, didn't even THINK about that. Good call, Dean, I got BTN app loaded on my tablet, so I'll add the channel on Roku!

Thinking about switching from SlingTV to PS Vue... I didn't realize you could use the PS Vue app on Fire TV and other devices. I thought it was just a playstation only thing.

So my question is... would I have been able to watch the Iowa vs. Iowa State game last weekend?

Thinking about switching from SlingTV to PS Vue... I didn't realize you could use the PS Vue app on Fire TV and other devices. I thought it was just a playstation only thing.

So my question is... would I have been able to watch the Iowa vs. Iowa State game last weekend?

The short answer is yes. Here is the more technical breakdown of why it is a yes:

Since you subscribe to PS Vue, you can download and install the BTN2GO app on your Fire TV, and you can log in using your PS Vue login and password, and you could have watched it streaming on that. There is the BTN channel on the PS Vue, but they were showing the UNC vs Ill. game, so that is why you would have had to watch through the BTN2GO app.

I'd say 95% of all other Iowa games you will get. You have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN U, Foxsports1, NBCsports, and BTN all part of the PS Vue Core package. Then if it is a ABC game, then you use antenna. If it is a BTN overflow channel, you just log onto BTN2GO and watch.

Hopefully this makes sense!

Latest posts