I cant get the site to load correctly

iveywk

I've tried to load the new front page with IE, FF, and Chrome on a windows 7 machine and on firefox and safari with my mac, and it only loads correctly on safari.

It looks good btw.

Is this my issue? Anyone else experiencing this?

Looks normal when I click on the Forums tab but the main page load looks pretty messed up. Definitely not just you.

It sure as hell doesn't load right for me, the home page is a disaster - IMO. I cannot see the content of the articles unless I highlight the text.

The homepage and news articles load fine for me, but they take FOREVER. The white background takes an eternity to load, which is why some my have to highlight the text to read it (black type on black background). As a front-end web developer, I think I have an idea why that white background fails to load right away: at the bottom of the page there's code that clears all of the content and tells the white to come on down. If that was addressed sooner, it would bring the white down sooner.

The dozen or so ads on each page doesn't help the load times at all.

I'm on FF4.

This homepage is a complete disaster now. Whenever I click on the story on the front page, the article never shows up. It is sooo frustrating. My computer at work allows me to read the article but my computer at home doesn't. I use firefox. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. People that are always changing things when they work perfectly...just doesn't make any sense to me. I guess I will have to find another hawkeye website now.

Clear the cache and or hit refresh. 99% of the people that have emailed me about this, or posted on facebook, etc, when they have done this, it clears up.

There may also be some bugs on there causing the hangups with loading speed, and I am looking into ways to increase it.

Advertising is going to remain a part of this site as it allows us to keep it free. Were there no ads, it would load as fast as lightning...then again, it wouldn't load at all cuz it wouldn't be here. I primarily view this site via my laptop that is connecting to the net via wifi, so not a hard connection. There are times when I notice a lag, but it's infrequent.

I am also keeping an eye on the video player on the front page. If I feel it's seriously clogging the works, then we'll yank it before football season starts.

I have a few ideas on this front but need to flesh them out with my tech team first.

As a front-end web developer, I think I have an idea why that white background fails to load right away: at the bottom of the page there's code that clears all of the content and tells the white to come on down. If that was addressed sooner, it would bring the white down sooner.

I will pass this along..thanks for the suggestion

This homepage is a complete disaster now. Whenever I click on the story on the front page, the article never shows up. It is sooo frustrating. My computer at work allows me to read the article but my computer at home doesn't. I use firefox. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. People that are always changing things when they work perfectly...just doesn't make any sense to me. I guess I will have to find another hawkeye website now.

It's not broke ;) It works on every browser version I use (FF, Chrome, Safari) and they are all the latest browser. If you update your browser, and/or clear your cache, you will see it as most people are seeing it, in perfect working order.

There are still people accessing this site with IE5 for crying out loud. We are not going to program the site to mesh perfectly with such outdated browsers.

That would be akin to complaining bumpy roads while riding in a Model T

My opinion is that web sites should not have major organizatinal changes made to them more than once a year. Users hate continual changes and fiddling. Just my thoughts.

My opinion is that web sites should not have major organizatinal changes made to them more than once a year. Users hate continual changes and fiddling. Just my thoughts.

I dont disagree...which is why we haven't had a major change since we relaunched this version of HN on 10/18/09

I have IE 8, and am having the same issues as PJHawk. Also cleared out the cache and reloaded as well which didn't seem to help.

Latest posts