I Can Already Hear It Now.

Let's just make it official. KF can be his own OC. Promote Budmyr to QB coach. This would the ultimate F You to the new AD and Iowa fans.

You didn't like Brian as the OC? Just wait until you see old Kirk run the offense.

Does this fall under Kirk’s time management issues he has always had?

“Delay of game offense, Five yard penalty.”

Pretty sure that by the time of the Clown game, this slight delay in hiring an OC will be a distant and irrelevant memory.

And, besides angst to a bunch of knuckleheads on message board, what is this delay really hurting? The portal is mostly not in session, Spring ball is a couple months away, recruiting is not in an intense period. I would rather KF take his time and get the best guy he can rather than rushing to hire someone to avoid Iowa State fans having a dumb cheer to look forward to next Fall.

Pretty sure that by the time of the Clown game, this slight delay in hiring an OC will be a distant and irrelevant memory.

And, besides angst to a bunch of knuckleheads on message board, what is this delay really hurting? The portal is mostly not in session, Spring ball is a couple months away, recruiting is not in an intense period. I would rather KF take his time and get the best guy he can rather than rushing to hire someone to avoid Iowa State fans having a dumb cheer to look forward to next Fall.

Chill !!!!

Chill !!!!

Lol, those who have followed my comments over all the years that this board has been around know I am just playing around along with others. Everyone might as well just relax and as you said, chill out. When it happens it will happen. Some of us will be happy, others may be disappointed, but while we are waiting what’s wrong with a little fun.

KC has been around long enough to know we are just having fun while waiting for a decision to be worked out.

The delay from mid-January to late-January was likely meaningless. But most OC and DC positions were filled before we even started looking in earnest, which greatly decreased the pool of talent. When the decision to let BF go was made in October, we should have immediately gone to an interim OC and the search process should have started. At the very least the search process should have been in full swing in between Nebraska and the bowl. It is hard to imagine that the distraction of the search would have made our bowl game offensive performance any worse.

The delay from mid-January to late-January was likely meaningless. But most OC and DC positions were filled before we even started looking in earnest, which greatly decreased the pool of talent. When the decision to let BF go was made in October, we should have immediately gone to an interim OC and the search process should have started. At the very least the search process should have been in full swing in between Nebraska and the bowl. It is hard to imagine that the distraction of the search would have made our bowl game offensive performance any worse.
Disagree strongly. First off, while Beth did the right thing in letting BF know that his contract would not be renewed next season, it would have been a complete overreach for her to relieve him of his duties midseason absent misconduct. Right or wrong, KF is the HC and the AD should not be dictating a coaching staff midseason, even under these weird circumstances.

Second, I had no problem with BF staying on and KF wanting him too. Although lots of people would like to forget this, at the time you are talking about we were still fighting for a conference championship. I can see the wisdom in not firing an OC right before that and putting in one the assistants who has not called plays before. As for the bowl prep period, I know that lots on here do not think bowls are relevant. I do. KF does. The players do. So, I had no issue with BF staying on board and I can see the wisdom in KF not parading new OC candidates down the hall in front of the players and BF.

Look, you don't know what was happening behind the scenes, nor do I. We don't know if backchannels were in play in December or not. Even if not, check out ESPN, there are still teams searching for OCs today.

Finally, while a search could have started sooner, it would have been foolish to hire anyone until after the college and NFL seasons wrapped up to see what coaching staffs were put onto the market. January was the right timeframe to make this hire.

KF did not miss out on anyone. Once Chryst passed, Lester, or someone just like Lester, was exactly who KF was going to hire. He got his man, for better or worse.

Disagree strongly. First off, while Beth did the right thing in letting BF know that his contract would not be renewed next season, it would have been a complete overreach for her to relieve him of his duties midseason absent misconduct. Right or wrong, KF is the HC and the AD should not be dictating a coaching staff midseason, even under these weird circumstances.

Second, I had no problem with BF staying on and KF wanting him too. Although lots of people would like to forget this, at the time you are talking about we were still fighting for a conference championship. I can see the wisdom in not firing an OC right before that and putting in one the assistants who has not called plays before. As for the bowl prep period, I know that lots on here do not think bowls are relevant. I do. KF does. The players do. So, I had no issue with BF staying on board and I can see the wisdom in KF not parading new OC candidates down the hall in front of the players and BF.

Look, you don't know what was happening behind the scenes, nor do I. We don't know if backchannels were in play in December or not. Even if not, check out ESPN, there are still teams searching for OCs today.

Finally, while a search could have started sooner, it would have been foolish to hire anyone until after the college and NFL seasons wrapped up to see what coaching staffs were put onto the market. January was the right timeframe to make this hire.

KF did not miss out on anyone. Once Chryst passed, Lester, or someone just like Lester, was exactly who KF was going to hire. He got his man, for better or worse.

I agree. I think they pretty much were banking on Chryst and him not taking the job was prob a surprise after weeks of negotiating with him. I think Texas at the last minute might have come in and counter offered or something. I really think KF and Iowa thought that was going to happen but ended up with their pants pulled down.

Side note, Chryst had an $11 mil buyout from Wisconsin when they let him go, so he had some wiggle room financially.

Latest posts