I believe that JVB is the worst QB in the B1G.

The skill, the intelligence is there, better athlete than people give him credit for yet something is missing. Feel, awareness is just not what you would like it to be.

Call me crazy(please), but he's not comfortable at all making the reads with who he has for targets.....
I would think he could adjust easier, guess not...

He might not be the best in the B1G but he did kill a bear and that my friends is awesome. But in all honesty 0 passing TD's in 2 games isn't too shabby.

He is rattled when his go to receiver that he locked in on is covered, so he gets nervous and wants to get rid of the ball fast, so he barrels a fastball to a receiver 5 yards away at about 100 mph. They cant react to catch it that fast. Not all the receiver's fault!

Just another post like scores of others from last night. Emotion driven and simply incorrect.

The people who are being very critical and are saying tough things are still upset but aren't 100% wrong because you see things different. You have personal relationships with people in the program so your view is slanted one way.

My one question is the same one I believed I asked you last year Jon. Can you honestly answer that this program is in a better place than it was 10 years ago? Is there some magic date when the ship will be righted? When does 7 and 5 or worse become not ok? I believe after this year, it will be 6 out of the last 8 years that this is the case. I may be wrong.

It is also strange that Iowa has never had a returning starting QB that's best year was his senior year. Maybe it's time to just let the players play and quit trying to stop and free decisions from being made on the field.

Come on guys, JVB is going to get drafted and we all know it, he is an NFL caliber QB. Several posters including Jon told me that last year and I was ridiculed for saying there was no way that was going to happen.

Looking at just the numbers so far this year, who has performed worse in the Big Ten? McGloin? JVB is dead last in pass efficiency (90.2%, over 10% worse than anybody else). He hasn't thrown a TD pass through 2 games, and has lead only one TD scoring drive (which was a 24 yard drive that was pretty much a running drive). In 6 red zone trips, we haven't scored a single TD.

I agree with Uweblab and aiescheid. If JVB's primary receiver is open, he's good. That's why last year he would lock on to McNutt more often than not because he knew Marvin could get open. Same as last year, if his primary is covered, he's horrible. For whatever reason, he simply has trouble going through his progressions. For a fifth year senior, that is unacceptable.

This has been the case with JVB since day 1. I don't see it improving before the season ends.

seriously dive off a mountain. we lose 1 game and you guys act like all hope is lost. this season will be a battle like all other years. but you guys seriously need to stop the doomsday talk after one loss.

Exactly. I bet the Hawkeye offense will be dangerous by the end of the season. These guys are learning as they go. They just haven't figured it out yet. Give it time, people.

He stares down his receivers like a dog staring at a pork chop. He looked away one time and than threw a screen pass that worked real well. JVB needs to get better at freezing coverage by not staring down hif first receiver. I was sitting at home on my couch and could tell where he was going to throw the ball.

Come on guys, JVB is going to get drafted and we all know it, he is an NFL caliber QB. Several posters including Jon told me that last year and I was ridiculed for saying there was no way that was going to happen.

Looking at just the numbers so far this year, who has performed worse in the Big Ten? McGloin? JVB is dead last in pass efficiency (90.2%, over 10% worse than anybody else). He hasn't thrown a TD pass through 2 games, and has lead only one TD scoring drive (which was a 24 yard drive that was pretty much a running drive). In 6 red zone trips, we haven't scored a single TD.

Although I wish it wasn't true, I have to agree with you. You are going to get blasted with the execution arguement soon. The JVB apologists will blame the entire game on dropped passes and the JVB haters will blame him for some absolutely terrible decisions.

I just don't understand how a senior QB can look so much like a first game starter. JVB did say after the game that his interception at the end of the game was all on him and he should have never thrown it. If he isn't going to be a playmaker for he Hawks then start to build for next year so the excuse next year isn't that we have a first year QB. It's time to stop having excuses about young players and first year QBs. It didn't affect results early in the KF era but it seems to be the new mantra.

I agree with Uweblab and aiescheid. If JVB's primary receiver is open, he's good. That's why last year he would lock on to McNutt more often than not because he knew Marvin could get open. Same as last year, if his primary is covered, he's horrible. For whatever reason, he simply has trouble going through his progressions. For a fifth year senior, that is unacceptable.

This has been the case with JVB since day 1. I don't see it improving before the season ends.

Spot on. McNutt/JVB absolutely embarrassed the bad secondaries (Northwestern, Indiana, Pitt (late), Louisiana Monroe, Tennessee Tech early in the game despite the rain) but when faced with a good corner (ISU, MSU, Nebraska, Oklahoma) where McNutt couldn't separate, our offense looked tragic.

Looks like another quarterback in over his head at the division l level of play. If we have some backup talent at QB, why not see what someone else can do? We saw this same situation a few years ago when pressure from the stands finally reached a level where the coaching staff made a change at QB. Maybe a little competition at the quarterback position might raise everyone's level of play. What do we have to lose at this point?

Jon - that wasn't an emotionally driven post at all, it was an opinionated one.

So I ask you this simple question.

Who would you take JVB over in our conference?

seriously dive off a mountain. we lose 1 game and you guys act like all hope is lost. this season will be a battle like all other years. but you guys seriously need to stop the doomsday talk after one loss.
Exactly. I bet the Hawkeye offense will be dangerous by the end of the season. These guys are learning as they go. They just haven't figured it out yet. Give it time, people.

Of course, if joking, at that point we will be 3-7 with Mich and nebby to go.

Or, if serious, we will have found a more game ready qb. (JVB or other) One that carries his on field mental awareness around with him on gameday, to make play making decisions when the play execution all around him is less than desirable. One that can act as a leader, and not get frozen in the middle of a play, nor rely on a gps system to get the ball to his receivers (heck, even a qb that can execute a handoff or fake with confidence). Or maybe, pull a receiver or o-lineman aside himself, (since it seems no one else is) and get in his dander to execute better.

In the offense Iowa is choosing to run I'd take him over anyone. If Iowa ran the spread I wouldn't take him

JVB is part of the problem this year. But I think the bigger problem is who he had to throw to. Once again, Iowa finds itself behind the eight ball at receiver. Easily the worst recruited position of the Ferentz era. And I'd have two tights with CJF all over the field every snap.

In the offense Iowa is choosing to run I'd take him over anyone. If Iowa ran the spread I wouldn't take him

JVB is part of the problem this year. But I think the bigger problem is who he had to throw to. Once again, Iowa finds itself behind the eight ball at receiver. Easily the worst recruited position of the Ferentz era. And I'd have two tights with CJF all over the field every snap.

This absolutely has to happen more........

JVB is going to be the QB no matter what this year , and it's going to be a very long year. I am all about getting young players on the field. Let's build for the future. We have some guys with speed, let's see what they can do.

If CJ stays next year, he could be one of the best in the country. In spite of the offensive problems, CJ is a bright spot on offense. But with a lack of good WR's he will be an obvious target. CJF needs to utilized a lot more.

If your kid was a 4 star talent, would you honestly send him to Iowa? I love the Hawks, but no way would I do that to him. If he was say a 3 star and smart and he had offers at say Duke, Stanford or Northwestern, I'd send him there for the education and networking opportunities. If he was dumb and a four star I'd send him to a program with a better pedigree in terms of throwing the ball. He'd have to be a dumb 2 or 3 star with only offers from MAC and SunBelt schools before I'd honestly send him to Iowa with Ferentz at the helm. And that is coming from a major Iowa homer. That's a big problem.

Latest posts