I am out!!!!!!

You don't remember the days we were really bad. Get over it.

We shouldn't accept being mediocre/bad just because we were once REALLY bad.... Dude, that was what, 40-50 years ago?

All I want is a program that makes me proud. I know that Iowa isn't going to be a power each and every year, but there was a time where I was proud of this program: 1990, 1991, 1995-97, 2002-04, 2008-09.. I'm too young to really remember very much from the early to mid 80's, but there have been some pretty darn good stretches in this programs past 35 years, something that made me proud to be a Hawk fan. I'm still a Hawk fan and always will be, but sure wasn't proud of what I saw out there today. I haven't really felt that way in about 5 years. I can deal with the down years, but it's high time for another upswing.

Today I lost whatever faith I had left in this coach staff. They've lost me.

Someone give me one legitimate reason to think that we're going to have another 2002-04 type of run under this coaching staff. Please.

I am just flat out tired of seeing guys on the field multiple years on both sides of the ball who do not get the results when it counts. That produces mediocre results.

KMM is a great example with another big drop today. That goes with his drops against Nebby and Wisky as well as a dropped punt against LSU last year. How many big plays does he make against good teams? Very few. Now throw in Lowdermilk. He was majorly involved in 4 of Diggs big play highlights as he was with Indiana. He lacks the speed to play in the secondary. There are others at QB, LB and the O-line.

Play the best 22 and make the emphasis on constant competition at all positions with the final evaluation being what you do on game days!

Hey, just because position competition works at other schools doesn't mean that it would at Iowa.
What if somebody lost their starting spot? You wouldn't want any of these young men to feel bad about losing their jobs would you?

Really, when you stop and think about it, I think that it's in the program's best interest to play the guys KF is the most comfortable with as opposed to the most talented players.

The only resolution is to give this offense to another coordinator. Except, I don't see Iowa making any more comebacks as long as Ferentz is the coach. Don't get me wrong, he is a great guy, he is incredible at developing talent, and has had some great seasons for the Hawks. But the bloom is off the rose. Let's face it, Iowa's defense has been exposed over the last two games and Iowa just doesn't win games, much less compete, when they don't have any defense. I see one, maybe two wins left on this soft schedule.

KF develops talent? It certainly isn't at QB, RB, or WR. If i was a 3 star or better skill position recruit, Iowa would be my last choice as long as KF was head ball coach.

I am just flat out tired of seeing guys on the field multiple years on both sides of the ball who do not get the results when it counts. That produces mediocre results.

KMM is a great example with another big drop today. That goes with his drops against Nebby and Wisky as well as a dropped punt against LSU last year. How many big plays does he make against good teams? Very few. Now throw in Lowdermilk. He was majorly involved in 4 of Diggs big play highlights as he was with Indiana. He lacks the speed to play in the secondary. There are others at QB, LB and the O-line.

Play the best 22 and make the emphasis on constant competition at all positions with the final evaluation being what you do on game days!

agree! need our best ATHLETES on the field! We have more than we realize because they rarely make the field. Lowdermilk and martin manley are not in that group. Willies,smith,powell,hillier/vandenburg for a 4th is ok for receivers and then get a QB(aka beathard) who could actually utilize them. With that god awful offense i don't know if it makes a difference who plays QB. You need mobility in a QB, whoever it is

Hey, don't you know that we're just Iowa.
There's no reason to think we should expect more from our football program. Don't you all remember we were really bad once?

I think that if everybody who feels like the program needs a change would just learn to accept mediocrity they'd be much happier with the state of things.

That sounds an awful lot like apathy if you ask me.

That sounds an awful lot like apathy if you ask me.

Generally apathy means you don't care at all.

I'm just suggesting that people not care as much. Expecting things just makes people sad.
There's plenty of room in the middle and back of the pack, so why strive to get to the front?

I'm just suggesting that people not care as much. Expecting things just makes people sad.
There's plenty of room in the middle and back of the pack, so why strive to get to the front?

That would be great if NOT winning was the goal...

We'll go bowling. We'll win 7 or 7+. That's decent football. You people that expect 10 win seasons are on crack.

That would be great if NOT winning was the goal...

Well, with the way they've been conducting business I'm not entirely sure that winning is the ultimate goal for this staff.

Enforcing your will (right or wrong) and playing not to lose seem to be the most important goals.
If the Hawks win as well, it's just the icing on the cake.

Listen, when you learn to be satisfied with a .500 record everything above that seems great.
Ah, the beauty of mediocrity. Why expect more when less will do?

I had to DVR the second half and step outside after watching us start quick ... And just as quickly... Flush the game away. It is tough to watch this team. I understand the OP... It's hard to take and I realized my stress level was up about 5 notches ... Jake throws more than 50 times again... Please, please let this be the end of the Davis experiment.

It needs to be the end of the Davis, Rudock, Ferentz experiment.

Well, with the way they've been conducting business I'm not entirely sure that winning is the ultimate goal for this staff.

Enforcing your will (right or wrong) and playing not to lose seem to be the most important goals.
If the Hawks win as well, it's just the icing on the cake.

Listen, when you learn to be satisfied with a .500 record everything above that seems great.
Ah, the beauty of mediocrity. Why expect more when less will do?

Well OK, I see what you're saying, but a .500 record is not even winning football, technically speaking. If I was just a casual football fan, then I could enjoy whatever - but I've been a Hawk fan my whole life. I bleed black and gold. I'll never be able to care that little about the outcome of the games.

It's worth mentioning that I live in FL so I can't make it to Kinnick and enjoy the game day experience. If I could take part in that, then yeah, that changes things, but ss it is, it's TV or bust for me, so if the on-field product is not good, then it's just not fun to watch on any level.

Take the Outback Bowl last year. Being there was great and I had fun even though Iowa lost and the weather sucked, but watching that game on TV would've been a drag.

Nice answer. This is the type of answer that makes someome really unsuccessful at life. Why expect or try to make things better when mediocrity is just fine? Maybe here or there you catch a break and win something.
I bet you lose a lot in whatever you do. Dont try something different or make improvements just wallow in mediocrity, and hope luck finds you. Sadly, sounds like the coach's philosophy.

OK I am one of those old donors. Ferentz has done a good job at Iowa, but that was a bitter loss today on so many levels:

1. Numerous dumb penalties.
2. A ridiculous pick six.
3. Unwillingness to play another QB.
4. Key fumble by our star cornerback when we had great field position.
5. Moronic play call on 3rd and 2 when Weisman was rolling. Idiotic.

Just a dumb, stupid bitter loss. Incredible, really.

I'm glad we have a bye next week. This team has a lot of work to do to regroup and this coaching staff has a lot of soul searching to do. This one was on the coaches 100%

Spot on and not the positive Chosen we normally see. :( Pretty telling and sad actually how many of the normal positive/optimistic posters are struggling today. :(

Just curious, do any of you who've responded to my posts advocating the acceptance of losing think I'm being serious?
I thought I was being sufficiently silly that there wouldn't be any doubt that I was joking.
Sorry if this wasn't the case.

To clarify (and borrowing from Moneyball), I hate losing more than I like winning, and there's a difference.

Some people seem to think everybody should be ok with mediocre football because we're just Iowa, and we should be happy with whatever we get. This attitude is the reason the Hawks are where they're at.

It's time for serious self-reflection (and possibly change) in Iowa City.

Latest posts