I am kind of surprised...

HuckFinn

...that there have not been a lot of comments regarding the interviews with the Iowa assistant coaches. They have been extensively reported on the web site for the Cedar Rapids Gazette and Hawk Central. Really good stuff. Here are a few examples of what has been reported:

1. Some clear answers about the role of the "run game coordinator" including a new coaching emphasis as well as some additions to the scheme.
2. Some good stuff about Iowa's running backs, especially L. Daniels.
3. Some real challenges to the receiving corps. Read between the lines on this one!
4. The focus on the punt game is significant (ya' think!)
5. I may be reading too much into the assistants' comments, but it may be that KF has really increased the pressure on the coaches to up the performance level of the players. Of course, this will add pressure to the players in kind.
6. Some clear comments about letting CJ run the football...answer is "no."
7. The LB coach says that performance, in terms of consistency (key word) is the target for substantial improvement. He thinks the athletes are just fine, have the skills, speed, size, etc. required.
8. Yeah, the inside/outside zone scheme will be the "bread and butter" but read carefully about what other options may become available.
9. The coaching points on the running backs were pretty detailed and kind of an "aha" moment for me, anyway. Read carefully.
10. KF was bluffing when he said the run game coordinator position was more of a "title thing." Nope.

Anyway, I am anxious to see some attention given to the coaches who are truly in the trenches with the players; and, I am really interested if anyone else senses an increase in the intensity that I think is going from KF to the assistants to the players. I certainly think that is a plus, if true.

Next up, the spring game/scrimmage on Saturday!

At this point, for me anyway, talk is cheap. As far as I'm concerned, the time for talk is over and it's time to see some results. With the exception of a small blip in 2013, we've been in football purgatory for the better part of 5 years. From the time Wisconsin fooled absolutely no one except our coaching staff with their fake punt in 2010 until now, football around here has stunk.

So I'm going to take KF at his word....that he's going to put much more time in with the team, in the film room, and with other programs (both college and pro) to try to get this thing back. No amount of talk is going to do that.

I'm essentially going to take a wait and see approach and see if all that talk amounts to more than just hot air and sound bites.

The lack of comments about assistant coach interviews can be explained by one word: Apathy. There is zero excitement around the football program these days, from what I can see my chair in front of the PC I'm typing this on.

As spider just pointed out, people want to see results, not a bunch of coach speak. I'm no exception.

Both of the above are true. KFz has killed enthusiasm for the football program. The evidence is all around us.

Yaaaay, Iowa football! Who cares? Same crap different year. I can't wait to hear about how Ferrets can't run a clock and how Iowa can't throw a pass further than 10 yards.

Real exciting stuff.

The bottom line is results. I do not need interviews any more. Show me good football win or lose.

Surprisingly I am excited by a couple of things. The very first and most thing being CJB. Does the team rally around him? Will he be turned loose and/or does KF try to handcuff him? Can he be the gun slinger and play with his hair on fire that we need? This is the most interesting story line to me.

How does the O-Line perform and can we actually run the ball especially inside the 20 if need be?

Can we actually get our best and most talented players on the field regardless of age and good stories?

Also... thank you basketball for taking my mind off of football these past couple of months.

I certainly share your frustration with the condition of Iowa football. However, I am going to continue to read all I can find about the 2015 Hawks, since it is a new team, new season. Yes, results are still the bottom line, but obviously the coaches are well aware of that requirement and I am interested in how they intend to be accountable. I am not going to assume, at this point, that nothing will change. Go ahead, I guess, and dwell on the past, but I prefer to focus on the future. Like you, I very much want and expect more from the program. But I am not content to just sit back and regurgitate the same tired complaints.

I've watched the interviews as well but like other have said, you gotta show me. Last year all I heard was that this new crop of receivers were looking good and going to change the offense. Everyone had completely absorbed Davis's system and it was showing on the field in practice. Then the practice in WDM featured all kinds of bombs down field to these receivers. I was pumped. Then the season started and Kirk reverted back to the norm with run left, run right then check down then punt. I'm going to try and stay optimistic but I'm just not as pumped as last year cause it sounds like a lot of the same stuff I've heard before.

At this point, for me anyway, talk is cheap. As far as I'm concerned, the time for talk is over and it's time to see some results. With the exception of a small blip in 2013, we've been in football purgatory for the better part of 5 years. From the time Wisconsin fooled absolutely no one except our coaching staff with their fake punt in 2010 until now, football around here has stunk.

So I'm going to take KF at his word....that he's going to put much more time in with the team, in the film room, and with other programs (both college and pro) to try to get this thing back. No amount of talk is going to do that.

I'm essentially going to take a wait and see approach and see if all that talk amounts to more than just hot air and sound bites.

Agreed. Doom and Gloom remains the order of the day however.

I personally am excited and hopeful...like every year.

Latest posts