I am dying for some hoops news.

Thawki

For the first time in years, as football season approaches, I want to hear more about hoops. I come to this board before the football board.

Is anyone else like me? Even though football season is right around the corner I am almost not even concerned with it (at least not right now) because I am so pumped up about our coach and the prospects of this team taking another step forward this year. I think we can and will be in the top half of the conference this year, and more often than not that gets a team from the Big Ten in the NCAA Tournament. And on top of all of that, they are fun to watch, too.

Man, it seems weird, because I am a huge Iowa football fan, but I am just so excited about how we looked last year, even when we didn't win that many games. You can see improvement in the players we have and in the talent level we are recruiting.

I'm w/ you! Basketball is the first board I always check first. Hoping we get some good news on the horizon regarding recruiting a certain 7 footer!:D

its good to actually care about the b-ball team again. sadly i took the previous couple years off. can't stand the type of b-ball we were playing. really excited to see where fran can take us, and love the style of ball he plays.

I thought I was crazy for going to the basketball board before the football board...I'm glad I'm not the only one

The feeling is contagious.

I do too. However, part of that is because I don't expect the off-season to be as immediately crucial in football. I mean there has been way more significant news in football. KF is bringing in some fantastic recruits. But we don't need any of these guys to be program saviors. Instead, these are guys that we expect to contribute 2 or 3 years down the road.

The BBall team needs guys who will contribute from day one. On top of that, the fall signing period is quickly approaching and the Hawks only have one verbal, with 5 open slots. It just is completely hanging in the balance. Just, way, way, way more at stake.

Definitely a different vibe around Iowa hoops. I am fortunate to live 5 minutes from the NL rec center, so getting there is easy for me. If possible, I highly recommend making it to a PTL game. No doubt football is king, but I have been amazed at the appetitie for good hoops. If this team can come out of the gate strong in the preseason, I think we will see CHA rocking sooner than expected.

I do too. However, part of that is because I don't expect the off-season to be as immediately crucial in football. I mean there has been way more significant news in football. KF is bringing in some fantastic recruits. But we don't need any of these guys to be program saviors. Instead, these are guys that we expect to contribute 2 or 3 years down the road.

The BBall team needs guys who will contribute from day one. On top of that, the fall signing period is quickly approaching and the Hawks only have one verbal, with 5 open slots. It just is completely hanging in the balance. Just, way, way, way more at stake.

This nails it. I find myself looking at the hoops board much more than football most days, primarily because I am excited by what Fran has done in his first year and my excitement over what I think he'll be able to accomplish in the next several years. I also realize this is an extraordinarily critical time in the rebuilding process, and I want to know every development about recruits and players.

It feels great to care again.

Just think about all of this for a second. The growing interest is after just ONE season under Fran. Iowa basketball and the fan base is a sleeping giant. We are on the verge of being released to the world. I can't wait to see what YR2 and YR3 bring us.

I consider myself a football fanatic and have a Hawkeye den in my apartment where I spent a pretty good chunk of my tax return on some really nice framed football photos. Last football season just drained me and I couldn't wait for it to end. The team seemed to give up and appeared to have internal and possibly drug issues and then the training fiasco seemed like the icing on the cake. I haven't even followed football recruiting but it appears we have things on a better track.

Fran's initial season for me couldn't have come along at a better time. I really think basketball seems headed for the same level of prominence at Iowa as football and I suspect that it will come sooner rather than later. It warms my heart to see people in Iowa so pumped up about the basketball program again and I actually had tears in my eyes when we beat Purdue last year.

Nope.

Football Season

1) Football
2) Off Topic
3) Basketball

Off Season

1) Off Season
2) Football
3) Basketball

Basketball Season

1) Basketball
2) Off Season