Hypothetical Question on Naming Rights

BSpringsteen

Let's say that a booster wanted to make a game changing gift to the UI athletic department. Like a Nike or Boone Pickens sized gift. Best facilities in the B1G, renovating the rest of Kinnick and Carver.

The catch is, she wants the stadium named after her. Non negotiable.

Do you give up the name Kinnick in exchange for a permanent place near top of the college athletics arms race?

I'd say yes.

My question is how much does the university make off of the naming rights and/or trademarks for the stadium right now? Over the long haul doesn't that moneys make up for the lump sum you get right now from the big time donor?

I'd say no, don't do it.

Plus we're getting, and will continue to get phat stacks of cash from the BTN.

You give the donor the naming rights to the field - "MediaCom Court/Mat at Carver Hawkeye Arena." I think there is a good chance that it becomes Hayden Fry Field at Kinnick Stadium on day...

You give the donor the naming rights to the field - "MediaCom Court/Mat at Carver Hawkeye Arena." I think there is a good chance that it becomes Hayden Fry Field at Kinnick Stadium on day...

I could see something like this. But it'll be a cold day in hell before Kinnick becomes "Wells Fargo stadium" or something similar.

I say no.

And there is no need now to mess with tradition for a Univ Ath Dept that is self-sufficient. They could put up more signage for advertising around and in the stadium to get enough money to add to the pot.

The new scoreboard and other signs could bring in a lot of $$$

There are some really rich people out there and the only thing bigger than their bank accounts are their egos. I wouldn't put it past em. I'd rather not be a short term sellout just for the sake of traditions sake. Sports are too corporate as it is. The more of that type of thing we can avoid the happier I would be anyway.

No serious Hawkeye booster, would mess with Kinnick's name.

Let's say a $200M donor wants to name it in honor of his grandfather. Let us further assume that this hypothetical deceased figure was a humble farmer who did nothing more than toil honorably in obscurity. Kinnick is legend but in such a scenario I agree to rename the stadium. I am cool with it even if the Hawks swarm into Kleszczynska stadium on game day. I'm sure Kinnick wouldn't mind.

Yes. I'll take my chance that it turns us into a winner with the facilities, etc. I'm sick of mediocrity in my life and since I'm too lazy to do anything special, I'll have to hope it makes my Hawkeyes special.

Last edited:
Kirk Davis Stadium. Please raise your hand if you would like to cheer. Please stay seated unless you need to go to the bathroom. Please visit the concessions for a $15 piece of gum. Visiting teams will start with a 21 points. No such thing as passes more than 8 yards, two minute drills, or onside kicks.

Yes. I'll take my chance that it turns us into a winner with the facilities, etc. I'm sick of mediocrity in my life and since I'm too lazy to do anything special, I'll have to hope it makes my Hawkeyes special.

Selling your soul for more "W's" isn't special in my book.

Let's say that a booster wanted to make a game changing gift to the UI athletic department. Like a Nike or Boone Pickens sized gift. Best facilities in the B1G, renovating the rest of Kinnick and Carver.

The catch is, she wants the stadium named after her. Non negotiable.

Do you give up the name Kinnick in exchange for a permanent place near top of the college athletics arms race?

I'd say yes.

In this scenario, I'd say yes, do it in a heartbeat. People always compare Iowa football to Oregon football and point out that Iowa can't compete because it doesn't have Oregon's "resources" because of their deal with Nike and the income it generates. Rename the stadium to get that kind of an edge? Absolutely - DO IT.

Selling your soul for more "W's" isn't special in my book.

It's not selling your soul. It's just selling your stadium's name. There's an old saying: "What's in a name?"

"Mediacom court" or something like that may sound stupid, but if it helps the Hawks and the program, I'm all for it. It doesn't diminish Nile Kinnick's legacy.

I agree with 99 - I'm sick of mediocrity in the name of "doing it the right way". Besides, there's no NCAA rule against something like this, so our consciences are clean.

All the above sentiments considered... how does a big donation and "WELL FARGO STADIUM" on the front of Kinnick (gag!) suddenly = more wins.

We have National exposure and a recognizable "brand"
We have a rabid fanbase
We have a great stadium that was just refurbished
We have a brand new practice and training facility

We're already one of the more financially successful program in college football. Unless you're suggesting we use that money to buyout KFz and go after a Saban or some other big name coach that ramps up our recruiting... how does money suddenly make us a TOP 10 power?

Last edited:
Couldn't we just rename the redzones after the donor like we did in the past and then throw the donors name into the picture everytime either team gets a red zone appearance...On second thought that was done and IMO was incredibly lame the first time.

Latest posts