Hypothetical Question on Naming Rights

You give the donor the naming rights to the field - "MediaCom Court/Mat at Carver Hawkeye Arena." I think there is a good chance that it becomes Hayden Fry Field at Kinnick Stadium on day...

Too late, I am already negotiating with Garta for "Billso Field at Kinnick Stadium". My PayPal balance is huge, so we'll even avoid wire transfer fees, which is nice.

In this scenario, I'd say yes, do it in a heartbeat. People always compare Iowa football to Oregon football and point out that Iowa can't compete because it doesn't have Oregon's "resources" because of their deal with Nike and the income it generates. Rename the stadium to get that kind of an edge? Absolutely - DO IT.

Yeah, because Autzen stadium is named after Phil Knight, or Nike, or, nevermind...

Yeah, because Autzen stadium is named after Phil Knight, or Nike, or, nevermind...

I don't think that 77 was trying to say that Oregon did name the stadium after Nike, obviously they didn't. But it isn't a secert to anyone that Nike provides many resources to Oregon and some kids connect with that on some level.

Although if anyone truly believes that Oregon recruits better than Iowa all because of their weekly Nike uniform change, they're just kidding themselves.

No kid says "I'm committing to play at Oregon to play dress up every week." No, they play at Oregon because they have a style of offense that allows them to put up points and WIN. Kids want to win championships. Oregon has been in contention for the PAC-10/12 title every year for a while now. Iowa was once in the past 8 years in the B1G.

I don't think that 77 was trying to say that Oregon did name the stadium after Nike, obviously they didn't. But it isn't a secert to anyone that Nike provides many resources to Oregon and some kids connect with that on some level.

Although if anyone truly believes that Oregon recruits better than Iowa all because of their weekly Nike uniform change, they're just kidding themselves.

No kid says "I'm committing to play at Oregon to play dress up every week." No, they play at Oregon because they have a style of offense that allows them to put up points and WIN. Kids want to win championships. Oregon has been in contention for the PAC-10/12 title every year for a while now. Iowa was once in the past 8 years in the B1G.

And you're kidding yourself if you think Knight's $$$ haven't helped their program. Their facilities are un-bee-leevable, probably the best in the country. And their recruiting budget is essentially infinite.

Phil Knight is the difference between an average program, which Oregon was before he started really throwing his money around, and the Oregon program you see today.

And you're kidding yourself if you think Knight's $$$ haven't helped their program. Their facilities are un-bee-leevable, probably the best in the country. And their recruiting budget is essentially infinite.

No I agree Billso, but changing the name on the stadium isn't going to get Iowa where Oregon is either though too. They need an alumni to start a multi-billion dollar company and donate a ton of money annually to keep up with the Jones so to speak.

The OP was hypothesizing about renaming the stadium to get our own Phil Knight. Which is funny, because the real Knight didn't ask to have the football stadium renamed. Just funny.

That being said, he named the hoops arena after his dead son. Which isn't funny.

Last edited:
Billso, considering Nike had MJ to promote their brand I don't know anyone famous that is going to promote and take this product to the "Nike" level of revenue. It is a good start.

GDR is the MJ of shaving. You lack vision.

Latest posts